Answered

Google assistant update

Userlevel 1
November 1st 2918 SONOS wrote a blog post, postponing the launch of Google assistant on SONOS one and beam to 2019. No date given. The post ender with this:
Stay tuned. We look forward to sharing another update in early 2019!
We are now well into April and there is still no word on a launch date. Only new commitments at CES that this will launch in 2019.
So what is it going to be SONOS? When exactly will you launch Google assistant, that you promised people more than one and a half year ago, when you started selling the one?
Please answer this simple question SONOS. You owe that much after all this time of stalling.
icon

Best answer by Smilja 9 April 2019, 08:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

There you go.

Moderator note: Thread links to Google Assistant Announcement.
Userlevel 1
@Smilja you are linking to the very blog post I am referencing. If you don't know the answer to my question, you don't have to respond.
It's an announcement post, I was referring to. This statement is the only official reply you'll get.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
@Smilja. You are sharing a link that shares a link to a blog post. It's an announcement on their blog. Hence a blog post. See image. And this doesn't change that you are not answering the question, but just referencing the same post that says more news in beginning of 2019. It is not the beginning of 2019 anymore. You might believe that there will be no answer from Sonos, but its still not an answer to my question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, jarbre. Thanks for your post. The answer to this thread has been marked, as that blog post contains all information pertaining to Google Assistant that is available at this time. We will update our users in due course, though there is nothing further to add at this point.
Userlevel 1
Hi, jarbre. Thanks for your post. The answer to this thread has been marked, as that blog post contains all information pertaining to Google Assistant that is available at this time. We will update our users in due course, though there is nothing further to add at this point.
This is the most crappy response I have ever heard from any product staff I have ever had. Products are gonna start breaking and warranties are going to expire before Google Assistant ever shows up. A part of me wants my Beam to break just so I can sue Sonos for using Google Assistant as a sales pitch and never delivering on its promise. If everyone with a Beam or One starts a class action lawsuit maby then Sonos will make any sort of official promise. I bought the Beam for Christmas (nearly the start of 2019), and have waited almost 6 months, signed up for the beta and still no beta. If beta is still going to happen they are never gonna hit a 2019 launch. Not if we want something that's not broken or buggy as hell. One thing is sure. I'm never buying Sonos again, and I'm guessing I'm not alone!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
... signed up for the beta and still no beta. If beta is still going to happen they are never gonna hit a 2019 launch.
I understand that the beta has been underway for some time, presumably with restricted numbers (i.e., it's a 'closed' beta).
This is the most crappy response I have ever heard from any product staff I have ever had. Products are gonna start breaking and warranties are going to expire before Google Assistant ever shows up. A part of me wants my Beam to break just so I can sue Sonos for using Google Assistant as a sales pitch and never delivering on its promise. If everyone with a Beam or One starts a class action lawsuit maby then Sonos will make any sort of official promise. I bought the Beam for Christmas (nearly the start of 2019), and have waited almost 6 months, signed up for the beta and still no beta. If beta is still going to happen they are never gonna hit a 2019 launch. Not if we want something that's not broken or buggy as hell. One thing is sure. I'm never buying Sonos again, and I'm guessing I'm not alone!
Next time purchase a product for what it is today, not for what you wish it to deliver as early as tomorrow.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Next time purchase a product for what it is today, not for what you wish it for to deliver as early as tomorrow.

@Smilja. It wasn't a wish. Sonos One was promised to get Google assistant during 2018. This was promised at launch, October 4th 2017. See Sonos' own article in the link: https://www.sonos.com/en/newsroom/sonos-unveils-smart-speaker-with-support-for-multiple-voice-services
Unless you have some sort of contract that shows Sonos has an obligation to deliver Google Assistant integration to you within a certain timeframe, stop talking about law suits and just accept that you bought something based on a marketing promise instead of its actual features.
I imagine there are people at Sonos that are as frustrated as we are that this is taking so long, as there is no benefit to Sonos at all to keep us waiting. There's a good chance that not Sonos, but Google are causing the delay. All we can do is be patient.

I'm never buying Sonos again, and I'm guessing I'm not alone!
Since I invested in Sonos long before Google Assistant or other voice assistants ever existed and I was not shortsighted enough to buy a product for a feature that was not the main feature of the product, and not even functional yet, I don't share your sentiment and will most certainly not refrain from buying Sonos in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I'm sorry that you have deemed my response insufficient. Whilst your frustration is understandable, I can't provide information I do not have myself. Hence my having marked the answer as the above blog post: it contains information pertinent to the subject of this thread. Setting aside the fact that Sonos is my employer: as a user of the system myself, I too am keen to see it made available. Feature development on any product may be subject to delay, I do not think that Sonos is exclusive in this regard.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I only wish that Sonos would be more open about when they are launching the google assistant (which they are clearly working on and have for sure promised is on the way several times), where they are in the process, and why it has been so delayed. That was the reason for this thread.
They promised an update on the progress in early 2019, so at least keep to that.
More openness please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
More openness is not an unreasonable request by any means. We will be providing an update in due course. Unfortunately, I cannot say when but the link in the marked answer will be updated when such time arises.
Badge +7
@Edward R - thank you.
Thank you @Jarbre88 for raising this point, and @Edward R for your response. As we're well into 2019, I hope Sonos will provide the mentioned update as soon as possible.
Badge
Bet $$$ it will be announced at Google I/O 2019 on May 9th.
Badge +7

That was my original thought as well, just that it would be sad if this is true. Well, at least I'd find it a deflating reality if Google chose to delay this process so they could be the ones to make the official announcement.

I want to believe they wouldn't do such a thing, but at this point it's entirely plausible. I'm a big Google advocate but even I find some of their latest moves to be... shall we say questionable.

All this said, I also feel Sonos has had very little control over GA integration. Perhaps not that they have absolutely no bearing on the delay, but moreso that Google carries more breadth and influence in their partnership so Google has the final word.

This is all speculation, of course.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I'll take that bet. A buck they don't!
Why can't they get it done suppose to be the first quarter of this year
I have to wonder if Google is dragging their heels in order to sell more of their own hardware, rather than losing sales to Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The secrecy is frustrating. I understand that Sonos may have learned not to make false claims based on a director in marketing, but the can of worms was opened so the public demands answers.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Once a company makes a claim they are beholden to it, or it is false advertising...
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Once a company makes a claim they are beholden to it, or it is false advertising...
LOL Tell RING that about HomeKit integration!! 😞

Nope.
Interesting to read the comments here, obviously a lot of frustration. I think we can safely say that we get that Sonos and Google are working on delivering on their promise, and that's not easy. But it's bad practice to set consumer expectations on a timeframe and not meet them. No one's going to get sued but consumers will get pissed off and turn elsewhere.

So far my experience with Sonos products has been good, but my experiences of the brand have been awful (3 months for a refund awful). I don't think we live in a society where you can do one and not the other and expect people to be happy. Fingers crossed Sonos spend more time improving on customer service and communication.

Looking forward to an update!