Answered

Google Assistant Support for Sonos Speakers other than Sonos One and Beam

• 11 May 2019
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies
Hi,

Will you be providing support for Google Assistant for Sonos speakers other than the Sonos One and Beam? I have a number of non-One/Beam Sonos speakers and several Google Home devices at home and have been hoping since the announcement that Sonos was going to provide Google Assistant support that I would be able to use it on my system. However, without retrofitting the rooms in my house that already have Sonos speakers with new Sonos Ones and Beams this would not be possible. This is because dooing so is simply too expensive and wasteful (e-waste-wise) for somebody that has already invested in a number of your speakers, so I would like to ask if you will provide support for Google Assistant with orders placed through a Google home device for other non-One/non-Beam Sonos speakers.
icon

Best answer by JoeCW 14 May 2019, 21:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Thanks. It was nice to see that this is running already today in day 1 of Google Home support availability.
All, this is up and running now. Look at the "Google Assistant Support" thread.
There are still some limitations but integration is working with all my legacy play1s and soundbar.
I found the transcript of the earnings call where this was announced, and this what it says:

“...we're making Google Assistant available on Sonos in the United States next week. Existing One and Beam customers will be able to download Google Assistant or if you have a Google Home device, you'd be able to use that to control your Sonos.”

(https://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/call-transcript.aspx?StoryId=4262341&Title=sonos-sono-ceo-patrick-spence-on-q2-2019-results-earnings-call-transcript)

So it sounds like the answer is yes, any Google Assistant device will be able to control any Sonos speaker. The devil is going to be in the details with this though. The Alexa integration at first wasn’t great, but is so much better now with Alexa Groups. Regardless, can’t wait to try this out next week!
Yes, CEO Spence has stated that "legacy" Sonos speakers will be controllable from any GA device. It's not clear that this support will be available next week, or later, though.
I think you will have to wait until Google Assistant on Sonos is launched to get an answer. But it would be very surprising if it were different from Alexa, i.e. all Sonos speakers controllable by voice, given a suitable Google Home device.