Answered

Google Assistant Support

Userlevel 4
  • Contributor I
  • 3 replies
When does Sonos expect to have support for Google Assistant?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 14 May 2019, 21:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

225 replies

OK then we know even less about what the first voice integration will include when it is finally released from beta so it makes even less sense to speculate on what might be included in the second one.

Dear Lord, you can twist anything into a negative. You know Sonos never reveals much about future functionality, why in hell would you expect that to change now, except as an excuse to complain?

And speaking of that, for a guy who was for years claiming the worst thing about Sonos is they do not let you freeze at an old version, you spend an inordinate amount of time whining about what is coming in the future, eh? Ever think Sonos just isn't for you mike?

OK then we know even less about what the first voice integration will include when it is finally released from beta so it makes even less sense to speculate on what might be included in the second one.

Dear Lord, you can twist anything into a negative. You know Sonos never reveals much about future functionality, why in hell would you expect that to change now, except as an excuse to complain?

And speaking of that, for a guy who was for years claiming the worst thing about Sonos is they do not let you freeze at an old version, you spend an inordinate amount of time whining about what is coming in the future, eh? Ever think Sonos just isn't for you mike?

I suspect you may be right. Sonos probably isn't for me anymore, but it was once upon a time...
You've been saying that for years now, yet you will never leave . . . :8
Because deep down I really want it to all work out. Maybe if I can just hold on until Google integration is released it will all be all right again. Maybe.
Yeah, like you could ever be satisfied with anything? Admit it mike, you love to complain, and you are not satisfied unless you are unsatisfied. Just the fact you pine for Sonos to put it it back the way it was, while simultaneously whining about every update not giving you what you want, is proof of that.
harsh
harsh

But true. It is exactly what you do.
Do you like the circumstance too, that by the time we get Google Assistant integration we will loose Googles music streaming service? (Google Play Music gets replaced by Youtube Music by end of year, for which google just removed the plan to support Sonos.)
Has some tragic comedy..
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
IFTTT works now, a bit..:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20lFWrBi6Qc

What do you mean "google removed the plan" ?
I thought the new YTM requires sonos to add it in as a service as well as google support..
I expect the features of Google integration to at least match Alexa's features at a minimum, when it comes to music playback. Sonos and Google know very well what features customers are looking for, and since they are building this interface from scratch, have a good opportunity to do it right.

When it comes to local libraries though, I'm doubtful it will happen personally. Google is still in this to sell their music services, and allowing playback of local libraries doesn't sell anything. That said, it would be a feature Amazon doesn't have, and therefore push customers to use Google home integration instead Alexa. I don't know if it's going to be enough though. I would guess the number of customers using local libraries is small and dwindling, with no reason in sight for a resurgence.
I expect the features of Google integration to at least match Alexa's features at a minimum, when it comes to music playback. Sonos and Google know very well what features customers are looking for, and since they are building this interface from scratch, have a good opportunity to do it right.

When it comes to local libraries though, I'm doubtful it will happen personally. Google is still in this to sell their music services, and allowing playback of local libraries doesn't sell anything. That said, it would be a feature Amazon doesn't have, and therefore push customers to use Google home integration instead Alexa. I don't know if it's going to be enough though. I would guess the number of customers using local libraries is small and dwindling, with no reason in sight for a resurgence.

Some common complaints expressed about streaming music I have seen on other forums include:

"The service replaced the tracks I like with remastered or live versions I do not like"
"The service lost the rights to many of the songs in my carefully constructed playlist"
"The service provides no way to play rare and out-of-print songs I have collected over the years"

While I agree that local library use has shrunk I also believe there is a floor below which it will not go because folks with the concerns above while small in number will never fall to zero. Much the way vinyl never went away I think local music collections will persist to some degree. The question, as you point out, is whether personal content support is a feature that Google will use to differentiate themselves from other music services or whether media server apps will evolve into the mainstream to the point where they compete with streaming services as an alternative music source because Google and other steamers decide the personal music consumer is not worth pursuing.
Badge
Come on! Come on! Come on!

😃
Come on! Come on! Come on!

:D

Please, please me, woah yeah, like I please you?

A feature of Amazon Music that’s often overlooked is AutoRip. I have bought many CDs which, for whatever reason, aren’t available on any service, but thanks to AutoRip show up in Amazon Music, including via Alexa. So, I don’t need to bother with ripping them to a local NAS.
Userlevel 1
November 1st 2018 SONOS wrote a blog post, postponing the launch of Google assistant on SONOS one and beam to 2019. No date given. The post ended with this:
Stay tuned. We look forward to sharing another update in early 2019!
We are now well into April and there is still no word on a launch date. Only new commitments at CES that this will launch in 2019.
So what is it going to be SONOS? When exactly will you launch Google assistant, that you promised people more than one and a half year ago, when you started selling the one?
Please answer this simple question SONOS. You owe that much after all this time of stalling.
Hey, picking this up as it just announced it is out. Has anyone got it working yet? If so, has anyone gotten it working with play 1s? Most articles say only for Beam and Sonos One but there are a couple that say it will work for all as long as you have a google home device (mini, home, etc).

Excited but hopefully not disappointed if no Play 1 support.
Still not available in either app store, as of 9:30 AM Pacific. Odd.
Does it need a sonos app update? I was able to see sonos in Google assistant services. Could not link properly though.
Does it need a sonos app update? I was able to see sonos in Google assistant services. Could not link properly though.
Yes, there will need to be a Google entry under the Voice Services menu to link the two. @Ryan S, what's the holdup? It's now 1:30PM on the East coast...
FINALLY showed up just now in the app store....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There's a software update rolling out, shouldn't be too much longer before it's all live. I'll be posting the announcement on the board when it's finalized. Until then, just a little more patience and you'll be all set.
Got it!! It's up and working. Sort of. Need to figure out what it can and cannot do now and possibly get over my Alexa integration with sonos habits.

Is there any documentation on how it should work or list of commands yet?

Want to figure out how to make sonos the default speaker now for a room like I had in Alexa. Any ideas yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As of today, we've officially rolled out support for Google Assistant on Sonos players, and control of Sonos devices using Google Home devices. For more details, check out our announcement post here, and some of our getting started and tips and tricks posts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Got it!! It's up and working. Sort of. Need to figure out what it can and cannot do now and possibly get over my Alexa integration with sonos habits.

Is there any documentation on how it should work or list of commands yet?

There's a starting list here.

Want to figure out how to make sonos the default speaker now for a room like I had in Alexa. Any ideas yet?

Settings Sonos players as default speakers isn't available with Google Assistant at this time. This is just the beginning of our work with Google. You'll see new features and improvements as we continue to develop with them.
Thanks Ryan S.!!

As for the default speaker function, good to know that it is just not available yet. I saw how to do it under the google device "Default Music Speaker" setting but did not see my sonos speakers so I thought I did something wrong.

Off and running!!