Answered

Google Assistant Support


Userlevel 2
  • Novice
  • 3 replies
When does Sonos expect to have support for Google Assistant?
icon

Best answer by Edward R 9 March 2018, 12:17

It's coming, guys. We just don't have a date to share. We will update you when there is. Many thanks for your patience.

View original

140 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Sonos has confirmed 'early 2018' but that's as much detail that's available at the moment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't think it was even "Early 2018"... I think it was just stated as being in 2018. Sonos' press release regarding Alexa and Google Assistant availability is here: Sonos unveils smart speaker with support for multiple voice services.
I bought a Sonos one after contacting Sonos about the support for google assistant. Sonos, do you have any updates on this? I am eagerly looking forward to this.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
You will not get anything other than it is coming in 2018. Sonos do not give timelines on product releases.
I just got an update for my Sonos one but to my dismay there was no google assistant in it :?:@:(

What’s going on sonos ?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
ernestotle wrote:

I just got an update for my Sonos one but to my dismay there was no google assistant in it :?:@:(

What’s going on sonos ?



Thanks for your post, ernestotle. We haven't yet announced a release date for this functionality, hence its exclusion from the update. We will be sure to forward your desire for it, the more the better. Let us know if you need anything else.
2018 is a long time. Buying Chromecast would cost me £30 a sonos unit which is quite expensive considering Alexa does it for nothing??? Come on Sonos - sort it out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It takes time for Sonos and Google to work out the integration. Both companies will likely need to create new programming on their servers to make it work. Once they feel it's close, Sonos will likely open it up to testers through their beta program. That's usually done a couple of months in advance of the release. Beta testers are required to agree to a non-disclosure agreement so they can't talk about it in public or with people who aren't also testers.

Google Assistant integration might be a bit faster than Alexa integration, since Alexa was Sonos' first step into voice assistants... but personally I'm still expecting it to come sometime in the second half of the year. Sonos has only said "2018"... nothing more specific at this point.
Badge
Edward R wrote:

ernestotle wrote:

I just got an update for my Sonos one but to my dismay there was no google assistant in it :?:@:(

What’s going on sonos ?



Thanks for your post, ernestotle. We haven't yet announced a release date for this functionality, hence its exclusion from the update. We will be sure to forward your desire for it, the more the better. Let us know if you need anything else.



if it really is "the more the better" then I'd like to add my voice here: please bring us the Google Assistant on this lovely speaker! I think Alexa can tell I resent her a little... :)
I'd throw my hat in as well
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would personally expect to see "Summer 2018"
I would love to have Google Assistant available on my Sonos One.
I'm not yet a Sonos customer, but I will be when Google Assistant is available. 😬
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We don’t know but expectation would be by this summer. I would expect personally may-June based on normal Sonos development cycles. This is guess as Sonos doesn’t give timeframes.
Are you going to offer the Google Assistant integration on only the Sonos One product in 2018? I feel like I've been left in the dark ages with Sonos only supporting Alexa.
I am also looking forward to the Google assistant integration very much. Knowing it would come some day was the reason for me to buy the Sonos One
:-)
Something big coming in April. Possibly Google Assistant, possibly AirPlay 2, possibly Audible support.
I have five Sonos units in my house. When will you have support for Google Home? I would like to stay with Sonos, but I really need a Google-compatable music solution ASAP. Google Home Max is starting to look a replacement. Can you please provide a date when you will release a solution?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Will it only work with the sonos one?
In which case, this will push sonos further out my house. It has already been relegated to the bedroom with a stereo pair of play1s, which sound fantastic.
Google home has replaced it in the kitchen and works great with GPM.
Samsung tablet works great with GPM and all other google dongles, used to cast to sonos as well, but now has been dropped by sonos.
Iam unlikely to buy a sonos one just to get voice in the bedroom.
There have been no indications that Google Assistant will only work with the Sonos One. That's zero, zip, nada. All indications are that it will operate exactly like the current Alexa voice assistant, and do so on all Sonos devices. Unlike Airplay 2, which requires an entirely new codec and encryption on the actual devices, Google Assistant, like Alexa, works in the cloud via communications between APIs. So there is absolutely no reason why GA and its cloud processing cannot be used with the same Sonos API as Alexa.

As to a date? Sonos has steadfastly said it will have Google Assistant working in 2018. That is all the specificity you are going to get, until they start rolling it out.
jgatie wrote:

There have been no indications that Google Assistant will only work with the Sonos One. That's zero, zip, nada. All indications are that it will operate exactly like the current Alexa voice assistant, and do so on all Sonos devices. Unlike Airplay 2, which requires an entirely new codec and encryption on the actual devices, Google Assistant, like Alexa, works in the cloud via communications between APIs. So there is absolutely no reason why GA and its cloud processing cannot be used with the same Sonos API as Alexa.

As to a date? Sonos has steadfastly said it will have Google Assistant working in 2018. That is all the specificity you are going to get, until they start rolling it out.



Agreed.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Paulw123 wrote:

Will it only work with the sonos one?
In which case, this will push sonos further out my house. It has already been relegated to the bedroom with a stereo pair of play1s, which sound fantastic.
Google home has replaced it in the kitchen and works great with GPM.
Samsung tablet works great with GPM and all other google dongles, used to cast to sonos as well, but now has been dropped by sonos.
Iam unlikely to buy a sonos one just to get voice in the bedroom.


It sounds like you're not really interested in audio quality, in which case any old smart speaker will do.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Well the google home was a £80 black Friday deal, and for that price works ok in the kitchen by the sink.
It has been fun with GPM and sending my cloud based photos to the kitchen tv, really easily. We hardly ever looked at digital stored photos before.
£349 connect versus £15 CCA optical linked, is good enough for my needs.
I am not going to buy another Sonon unless you support Google assistant. I would love to pair my current sonos one, but if you are not going to support google assistant then i will have to switch to the google new speaker system.
nyccouple05 wrote:

I am not going to buy another Sonon unless you support Google assistant. I would love to pair my current sonos one, but if you are not going to support google assistant then i will have to switch to the google new speaker system.



Sonos has already announced they are going to support Google Assistant. Expect it later this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16418914/sonos-one-speaker-google-assistant-integration

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings