Google Assistant is finally coming to the Sonos One and Sonos Beam

• 8 January 2019
  • 32 replies

Google Assistant is finally coming to the Sonos One and Sonos Beam
It's a CES miracle.

A lot of announcements have already come out of CES 2019, but without a doubt, this is one of the most exciting yet.

At a press briefing on Tuesday, January 8, Google confirmed that it's finally bringing the Google Assistant over to the Sonos One and Sonos Beam. An exact date has yet to be revealed as to when the rollout will begin, but it looks like we've finally reached the finish line.

If you don't have a One or Beam, Google says that "earlier speaker models" will also be updated with Assistant support, but right now it's unclear if all previous Sonos speakers will eventually get the Assistant or just a select few.

https://m.androidcentral.com/google-assistant-finally-coming-sonos-one-and-sonos-beam

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
News from CEF2019 interview with Sonos' head of global marketing Michael Papish:
"According to Papish, "the goal is for anything that's cast-enabled would be an enabled source for a Google Assistant speaker such as ours. That's the goal. Cast is interesting in that it actually a piece of software that runs live on a device. We are unlikely to run the live software."

"So part of what we're doing is coming up with our own mechanisms to be able to handle the request for 'here is a stream, pull this to this device'. Cast is nice but it has a lot of overhead - it's basically running a small version of Chrome and that's more than we want to run on our speakers."

Papish also confirms you'll be able to play any cast enabled content on their smart speakers but couldn't confirm whether it'd show up as a native Cast device within in the Google interface. He says it's an aspect of the experience that they're still finalizing.
"

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/656210/ces-2019-sonos-move-forward-google-assistant-sonos-one-open-adding-bixby/
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hmm, as a follow up, when this CES newsbite broke, I went to the app to double-check my Beta application, and did the questionnaire again, in the event they are really looking to open up the testing. Like last time, nothing but a sudden flurry of promotional emails. Ergh, rather distasteful, Imho. Seems just another Lucy yanking the football here. 15 months, and counting...
Hmm, as a follow up, when this CES newsbite broke, I went to the app to double-check my Beta application, and did the questionnaire again, in the event they are really looking to open up the testing. Like last time, nothing but a sudden flurry of promotional emails. Ergh, rather distasteful, Imho. Seems just another Lucy yanking the football here. 15 months, and counting...

Sonos said there would be beta testing. They never said that anyone who asked to be in the beta would automatically accepted.
Hmm, as a follow up, when this CES newsbite broke, I went to the app to double-check my Beta application, and did the questionnaire again, in the event they are really looking to open up the testing. Like last time, nothing but a sudden flurry of promotional emails. Ergh, rather distasteful, Imho. Seems just another Lucy yanking the football here. 15 months, and counting...In case you were not aware, the promotional emails can be switched off here, if that is your preference?... https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/profile/ You will find the check box part-way down the page in your profile.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Another brilliant contribution from Danny. Obviously, I said NOTHING about expecting or demanding to be selected for the Beta? You are trying to put words in my mouth again.

What I shared was, the only result of reapplying for the Beta was just being added to their prospect file, which I find a bit out of line. Seems this entire dangling the Beta carrot is more about selling more product than anything.

But, clearly Danny doesn't agree and will now start the process of parsing every single word to try to dilute and spin what I've posted. Carry on Danny...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ken - Thanks, I am aware of that link, and did that after the first Beta application, when things got out of hand. However, clearly when you re-apply for the Beta, it changes that Opt-Out setting, even if you uncheck the promotional option in the application process. 5 seconds after I re-applied the promotional emails started, and didn't stop until I opted out in acct settings again. If I had to guess, I suspect if you Opt-Out of the email promotions, you automatically disqualify yourself from Beta consideration.
Ken - I am aware of that link, and did that after the first Beta application, when things got out of hand. However, clearly when you re-apply for the Beta, it changes that Opt-Out, even if you uncheck the promotional option in the application. 5 seconds after I re-applied the promotional emails started, and didn't stop until I opted out in acct settings again.Ah, glad to hear you’ve already sorted it.?