Answered

Google Assistant

• 13 February 2019
  • 46 replies

We have been hearing for over a year now regarding the Google Assistant integration. When is this going to happen? The Alexa assistance is horrible.
icon

Best answer by Smilja 13 February 2019, 16:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

Moderator Note: Google Assistant is now available for use with Sonos, read more here.

Google Confirms Integration in Sonos One at CES 2019

Update: Bringing Google Assistant to Sonos
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yeah, and 6 weeks later the dangling carrot remains just as elusive as ever. Sonos is now a full YEAR behind in their original promise to bring Google Integration, and there still isn't any light at the end of the tunnel. It's amazing that in the high tech arena, 18 months is an eternity, and here we are, still watching Sonos paddling upstream with one oar in the water.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
It's almost as if integrating someone else's AI and automation software into your system is an easy task!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
On the other hand, we have been able to cast from google play music to sonos on android since 2013, together with GPM casting to any other google device.
Here we are 6years later still waiting for google casting to sonos from anything else..
Yeah, and 6 weeks later the dangling carrot remains just as elusive as ever. Sonos is now a full YEAR behind in their original promise to bring Google Integration, and there still isn't any light at the end of the tunnel. It's amazing that in the high tech arena, 18 months is an eternity, and here we are, still watching Sonos paddling upstream with one oar in the water.

Though I like the creativity with the image (It did make me chuckle a bit), your math is off a bit. Sonos originally stated that they would deliver Google integration in 2018. Being that it's now Feb. 2019, the are 2 months off their original promise. Even if you poorly assume '2018' meant the middle of the year, June/July, it would be 8 months. Still not a year.

I think your 18 months from when they first announced integration was coming is about right though.

I really don't think it's accurate to claim that Sonos is incompetent with this delay though. We can assume tasks are easy looking at the black box from the outside, but we can't really see how it all works. Nor do we know how much effort Google is putting into their side of the equation. Is the delay disappointing? Sure. Is it late because Sonos pushed on the pull door? I have no idea.
It's almost as if integrating someone else's AI and automation software into your system is an easy task!

Well yes actually it is. And other manufacturers have with ease integrated it into everything from watches to headphones and bluetooth speakers. It's not like they have to make a new voice assistant from scratch. They just have to integrate an already existing one which shouldnt take as much time as it has.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Well yes actually it is. And other manufacturers have with ease integrated it into everything from watches to headphones and bluetooth speakers. It's not like they have to make a new voice assistant from scratch. They just have to integrate an already existing one which shouldnt take as much time as it has.

If it's so easy, why aren't you applying to work for Sonos' development team?
If it's so easy, why aren't you applying to work for Sonos' development team?

Not that I see how that is relevant to the topic but I am already employed, thank you.
I know this is in Beta dev/testing, but the announcement on that was some time ago. I think the level of frustration comes about due to lack of any further meaningful information to the consumers. A bit of an update on progress would be nice, and might reassure the masses that work is still continuing in this area, and it is still a deliverable - silence is deafening!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Though I like the creativity with the image (It did make me chuckle a bit), your math is off a bit. Sonos originally stated that they would deliver Google integration in 2018. Being that it's now Feb. 2019, the are 2 months off their original promise. Even if you poorly assume '2018' meant the middle of the year, June/July, it would be 8 months. Still not a year.

I think your 18 months from when they first announced integration was coming is about right though.

I really don't think it's accurate to claim that Sonos is incompetent with this delay though. We can assume tasks are easy looking at the black box from the outside, but we can't really see how it all works. Nor do we know how much effort Google is putting into their side of the equation. Is the delay disappointing? Sure. Is it late because Sonos pushed on the pull door? I have no idea.

I think purely due to the ridiculously long length of time it's been so far, people kind of forget how the release of the One's in October of 2017 was including the winks and nods that the Google Integration was coming in early 2018. I bought my pair of One's around Xmas 2017 and the sales people were clearly stating around the end of the 1st quarter of 2018.

If people recall, it wasn't until we got to summer 2018 and people started voicing impatience did Sonos start working expectations back to later 2018. So, yes the One's were released with the expectation that the GI was coming a year ago - approx this time last year. Since then, every time the next push back comes, it's another 6 months added to the mix. This latest one at CES purposely presented the image that we were getting close - so close in fact, that they were expanding the second round of Beta testing.

I happen to be a Beta tester for a large number of high tech firms - Including a number of Google divisions - Including Home. Most trials, soaks, previews, etc, last a few weeks to perhaps a month max. I've never seen a Beta program last for a year plus with ZERO result. It's unheard of, and clearly highlights there are are some serious problems. We've also more recently heard about lowered expectations on the degree of integration as it relates to working with Google Speaker groups, etc.

So I guess the thing is, when you buy an electronic product claiming a new feature is coming as part of the deal - Does the immediate image you get equate to a YEAR from now? How about 18 months or 2 years? I mean at what point was that original promise which was part of the "Sales Job" become inappropriate? Most electronics features usually take 3 to 6 months Max for release which is the reasonable expectation. And, based on the number of new Google Integrated products being released every day - ALL of which were not even on the map a year ago, only goes to reinforce that Sonos clearly have really screwed the pooch here. They've been working on this since at least mid-2017 and yes, this is totally inappropriate.

Absolutely frustrated.
Blimey! I'm repeating myself. ?

GOOGLE CONFIRMS INTEGRATION IN SONOS ONE AT CES 2019

Update: Bringing Google Assistant to Sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I've never seen a Beta program last for a year plus with ZERO result.

Ummmm..... gmail?

That was in beta for what felt like a decade.

I think purely due to the ridiculously long length of time it's been so far, people kind of forget how the release of the One's in October of 2017 was including the winks and nods that the Google Integration was coming in early 2018. I bought my pair of One's around Xmas 2017 and the sales people were clearly stating around the end of the 1st quarter of 2018.

Not sure who the sales people were, but they were wrong. Sonos annoucement was for some time in 2018. They never said 1st quarter 2018.

If people recall, it wasn't until we got to summer 2018 and people started voicing impatience did Sonos start working expectations back to later 2018. So, yes the One's were released with the expectation that the GI was coming a year ago - approx this time last year.

That doesn't make any sense. Sonos said sometime 2018, but because people started getting impatient summer 2018, Sonos was somehow expected to release it 1st qtr 2018? I get that you were mislead by a sales person, but bad information doesn't change what Sonos officially stated.

Since then, every time the next push back comes, it's another 6 months added to the mix. This latest one at CES purposely presented the image that we were getting close - so close in fact, that they were expanding the second round of Beta testing.

Sonos has never said "in 6 months".

I happen to be a Beta tester for a large number of high tech firms - Including a number of Google divisions - Including Home. Most trials, soaks, previews, etc, last a few weeks to perhaps a month max. I've never seen a Beta program last for a year plus with ZERO result. It's unheard of, and clearly highlights there are are some serious problems. We've also more recently heard about lowered expectations on the degree of integration as it relates to working with Google Speaker groups, etc.

They started looking for beta testers late last year, and haven't officially stated when beta started (assuming it has). Where are you getting this year of beta testing idea from?

So I guess the thing is, when you buy an electronic product claiming a new feature is coming as part of the deal - Does the immediate image you get equate to a YEAR from now? How about 18 months or 2 years?

So Sonos should be held to your expectations and what sales person said instead of what they actually promised. And absolutely, they are late. They screwed up in some way. No doubt about that. But they are currently 2 months, likely more in the behind what they promised.

Me personally, I don't buy products based on promised features. If the feature is vital to me, I'll wait. I often don't even buy products for several months after release to let the kinks get worked out (although I do seem to be impatient lately)

I mean at what point was that original promise which was part of the "Sales Job" become inappropriate? Most electronics features usually take 3 to 6 months Max for release which is the reasonable expectation.

Again, your assumptions based on experience doesn't override what Sonos officially promised. They are late, but not as late as you want to say they are.

And, based on the number of new Google Integrated products being released every day - ALL of which were not even on the map a year ago, only goes to reinforce that Sonos clearly have really screwed the pooch here. They've been working on this since at least mid-2017 and yes, this is totally inappropriate.

Absolutely frustrated.

I have no doubt that Sonos greatly missed the boost Google integration would have gave them in Christmas sales. They won't say it publicly and add salt to the wound, but I'm betting they feel they screwed the pooch as well. Inappropriate? Strange word in this context.

Again, frustration makes perfect sense. I just don't see the point of misrepresenting the facts to add weight to your frustration since it's completely unnecessary.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I've never seen a Beta program last for a year plus with ZERO result.

Ummmm..... gmail?

That was in beta for what felt like a decade.

Ummmm back to you. I was around then, and they absolutely had deliverables and constant improvements along the way almost from day one. I had my Gmail acct since 2Q2004 and still have Adword statements from that summer in my Inbox. What started in 2002 as an INTERNAL email system, didn't even go to Beta for external users until March of 2004, and smart guy, the product was announced and released ONE MONTH later.

Due to the demand they no doubt were initially overwhelmed, and used the invite only practice to hold back and throttle demand while they frantically tried to scale the infrastructure that took a while to catch up with, but what the heck are you talking about?? They released the product within the SAME Quarter of the announcement and I still have Emails in my Inbox to prove it.

Yes, it's been a constantly evolving product ever since, but to compare it by saying it took a decade to develop Gmail highlights your total ignorance on the matter. To compare that to what's going on here is dumber yet. Good lord.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
....blah, blah, blah....

Danny, I told you before, I am simply not going to engage your anal parsing of every single word. YOU have proven to be the consummate apologist for Sonos, and that's cool. God knows, Sonos needs people like you to survive. But, for you to say they are only 2 months late is just ridiculous, and I'll rest my case right there. That brilliantly proves my point. Thank you.

If you think going on 18 Months from the Oct 4th 2017 announcement for this Fabled Google Integration still not being delivered YET is perfectly fine, that's cool. I never said YOU were not entitled to YOUR opinion or how YOU feel on the matter. I obviously think it sucks, and I'm entitled to MY opinion, that BTW, many more folks seem to share. Every day, you are getting more and more isolated with your excuses. But, by all means, carry on...
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
, and smart guy, the product was announced and released ONE MONTH later.

And was still in BETA for YEARS.

Quit complaining.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
, and smart guy, the product was announced and released ONE MONTH later.

And was still in BETA for YEARS.

Quit complaining.

Gmail was out of Beta with a stable, working product within ONE QUARTER. Get a clue before you highlight your ignorance.

I'll be back in another 6 weeks to check in on what new excuses you guys can muster up then. Ciao
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Gmail was out of Beta with a stable, working product within ONE QUARTER. Get a clue before you highlight your ignorance.

You're right... it didn't have BETA in the name for literal years. Keep getting stammering your feet. Maybe you will get your way.
Methinks "anal parsing of" and "winks and nods" are olde English phrases meaning "actually freaking reading" and "facts made up in my head". Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.
....blah, blah, blah....

Danny, I told you before, I am simply not going to engage your anal parsing of every single word. YOU have proven to be the consummate apologist for Sonos, and that's cool. God knows, Sonos needs people like you to survive. But, for you to say they are only 2 months late is just ridiculous, and I'll rest my case right there. That brilliantly proves my point.

Well, I'm just using simple math. It was promised in 2018 and it's now Feb. 2019. That's 2 months. I'm not sure how there is any bias in that statement. But you've got your personal expectations to decide that they are late much more than that.

If you think going on 18 Months from the Oct 4th 2017 announcement for this Fabled Google Integration still not being delivered YET is perfectly fine, that's cool.

Well, I never said that, so I don't know you came to that conclusion. I've actually stated several times that customer frustration is warranted.

I never said YOU were not entitled to YOUR opinion or how YOU feel on the matter. I obviously think it sucks, and I'm entitled to MY opinion, that BTW, many more folks seem to share. Every day, you are getting more and more isolated with your excuses. But, by all means, carry on...

Yep sure. I don't get the point that isolated comment, but whatever.
Well, I Just stopper believing
Despite Google having confirmed the integration? ??
Userlevel 1
Despite Google having confirmed the integration? ??

Has Sonos announced any progress? I signed up for beta the moment they started recruiting and still haven't gotten an invite. But I have gotten 20 identical surveys to answer though...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Stay tuned forever ? early 2019 can be December 2019 in the Sonos world ?
I bought the sonos one for the integration with google asisstant. I was tempted to buy beam when the delays started and I'm glad I did not.