Answered

google and philips hue are turning off the lights in another room.

Since 2 weeks the command “ hey google turn of the lights” is working but in a different room.

I have tried to reinstall the entire system in sonos, hue and google home but the issue is still happening.

any sugestions?

cheers ;)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 April 2020, 15:55

Unfortunately, Sonos really doesn’t have any control in this situation. It is merely acting as the conduit for your voice to reach the Google cloud, where Google and Philips control the programs and commands running there. You’d be much more likely to get assistance on a Philips Hue site, or contacting them directly. 

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was not suggesting that you are a liar in any way. I apologize if that is what you understood. I don‘t say in that your observations were wrong, just that on the technical side there is more going on than just what you see on the user interface. I explained that in my previous post.

I‘m facing the same problem described in the opening post and I suggest working together on a solution might be a more sensible approach than calling each other trolls and suggesting to leave the community 🙄

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I think this is not the whole truth. 

So you call me a liar?  Go find somewhere else to troll, this is a friendly community.   I described exactly what I did and what occurred and did not leave anything out.  How would that benefit any of us for me to come on this board and make stuff up.

SMH.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Did you set up the room assignment in your Sonos app, or the Google app?  

Sonos app.

I have my Sonos devices assigned to rooms in the Sonos app.   Then I used the Sonos app to add GA on my Sonos devices.   Once that process was completed I went to the Google Home app and can see the Sonos devices already assigned to rooms (I assume there is an algorithm that does room assignments based on room name matches).   But I can also move the Sonos devices to different rooms in the Google Home app if I needed to, but I didn’t need to.   

I think this is not the whole truth. When you set up Sonos GA linking, all Sonos devices are automatically available in GA. Even devices without microphones. They are available as „audio devices“ there so that „play xxx in the living room“ works. These are shown in the Google Home App. Setting up GA on the speakers additionally adds them as an „Assistant device“. This is not shown in the devices lost but e.g. on iphone in the Google Assistant App under „devices“. There are no room assignments displayed there for Sonos activated speakers, only for Google Speakers like the Home Mini..

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos app.

I have my Sonos devices assigned to rooms in the Sonos app.   Then I used the Sonos app to add GA on my Sonos devices.   Once that process was completed I went to the Google Home app and can see the Sonos devices already assigned to rooms (I assume there is an algorithm that does room assignments based on room name matches).   But I can also move the Sonos devices to different rooms in the Google Home app if I needed to, but I didn’t need to.   

The other thread has had 39 replies. Nothing  changed in my set up, only Sonos seemed to be updated and only commands made to Sonos devices go wrong.

39 posts?

There once was an actual bug in a Sonos release for the Playbar.  The thread hit over 1000 posts in a couple days, 1800+ total, not to mention dozens of other threads on the same bug.  Sonos acknowledge the bug within hours, and had a fix out ASAP.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The other thread has had 39 replies. Nothing  changed in my set up, only Sonos seemed to be updated and only commands made to Sonos devices go wrong.

That GA works differently via Sonos then direct on a Google device is well documented. This fault coincided with the 11.1 update. I do believe this update had something to do with it…...

If it were a flaw in the update, you would see many hundreds of posts here complaining.  This thread is 7 posts. So, I vote a configuration error.  But feel free to wait for a “fix”.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

That GA works differently via Sonos then direct on a Google device is well documented. This fault coincided with the 11.1 update. I do believe this update had something to do with it…...

GA in a Nest device or on a Sonos device or on your phone...it’s all the same GA, doing the same thing. And part of that algorithm is to take into context what room you are currently in.  And it determines that by looking at what room the device you are using is assigned to.

There is clearly a problem with Sonos device room assignment.  It makes no difference if I’m using GA to control a Nest device, or Smarthings devices, or a Hue device.  It’s a problem with the Sonos device room assignment.

Google says it’s a Sonos problem.  Sonos says it’s a Google problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

GA in a Nest device or on a Sonos device or on your phone...it’s all the same GA, doing the same thing. And part of that algorithm is to take into context what room you are currently in.  And it determines that by looking at what room the device you are using is assigned to.

There is clearly a problem with Sonos device room assignment.  It makes no difference if I’m using GA to control a Nest device, or Smarthings devices, or a Hue device.  It’s a problem with the Sonos device room assignment.

Google says it’s a Sonos problem.  Sonos says it’s a Google problem.

This is obviously not true. Philips Hue as a service has nothing so do with Google Home and Sonos not getting the room thing right.

Sonos has nothing to do with “getting the room thing right”.  The only thing Sonos does is listen for the wake words, record the input, and then pass it on to Google.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, Sonos really doesn’t have any control in this situation. It is merely acting as the conduit for your voice to reach the Google cloud, where Google and Philips control the programs and commands running there. You’d be much more likely to get assistance on a Philips Hue site, or contacting them directly. 

This is obviously not true. Philips Hue as a service has nothing so do with Google Home and Sonos not getting the room thing right.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Filipe, you aren’t crazy.  This used to work and stopped working a few weeks ago.   Please refer to this thread:    https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/google-assistant-room-assignment-problems-6839459