Finally!!!: Home Automation -> Auto lights ON and (sonos) music ON when you het home

Badge +3
Do you want when you get home (location aware), a specific music (list/radio) automatically play + a light scenario on? Of course you want...

Great news: 0 costs and it can be done easily. Maybe a lot of you already have Sonos + Philips Hue...
And we know that Sonos does not work yet with Apple Homekit...

Boom!...just install Yonomi app or Gideon app and all above it can be achieved centralized without any further hardware.

You don't find this solution over the internet (in this moment). You just to be lucky to discover it. I was lucky yesterday, I am very happy with it and I wanted to share with you...

By the way, a smart plug (for thermostat, non-smart lights, etc.) that you wish to work with above apps is Belkin Wemo.

Minim system requirements: a smartphone, almost any Sonos device, Philips Hue device. Optional -> Belkin Wemo smart plug.

Have a nice life 🙂.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Badge +3
How do I edit the title of this post? I have a typo...het instead get. 😞
Badge +3
Other software alternatives https://appfelstrudel.com/?q=&alternative=991840741&genre=Lifestyle&sort=relevance&page=1
Had you done a search, you would have found that Yonomi has been discussed here for at least a year...
Badge +3
Had you done a search, you would have found that Yonomi has been discussed here for at least a year... Yesterday all day.
But yes...here on Sonos forum I heard about Yonomi...But no where I found that it realy works without further hardware (like Logitech Harmony). Everywhere I search on google it says that it works with some additional hardware. And those apps really work without any further hardware! It is amazing for me, why Sonos don't do this feature "autoplay automation" "from the box" when you enter in the home wi-fi and resume the music...This is a basic feature for a lot of people.
Personally, my moods are so different from day to day, or hour to hour, if Sonos played the same playlist/station every day when I came home (or even a playlist/station assigned to a day of the week), I'd be shooting the damn thing within a fortnight. No matter how good the quality of the music, repetitiveness like that brings to mind Daryl Dixon sitting in a closet listening to “Easy Street” by The Collapsable Hearts Club on an infinite loop. ITTT stuff like turning on lights, or setting "moods", or automatically playing music would drive me nuts. I'd much rather fly by the seat of my pants and tell the damn thing to play what my heat desires at that moment, whatever the moment.

YMMV. 😉
Badge +3
Personally, my moods are so different from day to day, or hour to hour, if Sonos played the same playlist/station every day when I came home (or even a playlist/station assigned to a day of the week), I'd be shooting the damn thing within a fortnight. No matter how good the quality of the music, repetitiveness like that brings to mind Daryl Dixon sitting in a closet listening to “Easy Street” by The Collapsable Hearts Club on an infinite loop. ITTT stuff like turning on lights, or setting "moods", or automatically playing music would drive me nuts. I'd much rather fly by the seat of my pants and tell the damn thing to play what my heat desires at that moment, whatever the moment.

YMMV. ;)
It is not like this. If you are moody, yes, you play manually what you want. But the feature SHOULD exist. Anyway thanks god there are those third party apps...
Userlevel 3
Badge +5

YMMV. ;)

Use ramdom play 😃

Use ramdom play :D

How is random play going to fit my mood? If I come home wanting Motorhead and random play spits out the Carpenters, I'm not going to be happy. ;)

Seriously, though. All this ITTT automation is fine, but it all seems very OCDish to me.. I'm on a schedule just like everyone else, but scheduling my musical tastes to coincide with each action I take is a little too structured for me. I've showered to easy listening and showered to heavy metal. I've cooked to smooth jazz and cooked to punk. I've gotten my groove on to heavy metal and done the deed to Roxy Music. All depending on my (or another's) mood, not on what footsteps I previously took before I entered the room or residence. I'm just not that predictable (and God forbid if I ever am!).

YMMV.
I think the ability to configure automation/interaction with different things is a useful thing.

Personally though, I find it's not actually that useful. I've had home automation (alarm system, lighting, some heating & appliances) for nearly 2 decades and that has taught me that whilst there are some useful things I can automate a lot of the things I first thought to be cool and useful really weren't.

Cheers,

Keith
Badge +3
Post update: if you want that Yonomi to work from 3G/LTE mobile, you have to have another tablet at home (works like Apple HomeKit)...and you have to open the Yonomi app on tablet last, to "keep the ball" in your Wi-Fi "garden". If you open the Yonomi on the phone last, you will loose the 3G/LTE remote control of the Sonos System.
Hint. Use routines as widgets and create them like in the bellow screenshots.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Dani & Keith,
Although I sympathise with jgatie's point of view, I do have a project in mind that you may just have helped me greatly with...
Have you / can I - use sonos as the doorbell ?
I have a door bell that generates a push event that I intend to capture, but then I want to briefly interrupt what is played on some of my sonos players and play a "ding dong" file, then let the sonos players resume - Can that be achieved?
I intend to research this in detail but your point of view would be very much appreciated, thanks
Thomas
Hi Dani & Keith,
I do have a project in mind that you may just have helped me greatly with...

It's not impossible, but it could require a lot of integration to make it work properly. A lot of the challenges around HA are about integration. Things like IFTTT and Yonomi can help with this, but aren't always capable of achieving what you desire.

For instance, IME IFTTT recipes tend to have a bit of a lag, which is fine for some apps (turn a light on at sunset) but not for other. I feel IFTTT would be unsuitable for a doorbell application as you want the doorbell to ring almost as soon as the button is pressed. I'm not familiar with Yonomi but I suspect a similar lag issue might present itself.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Sonos is a complex system. If you have multiple players, you could have them grouped in all manner of different ways playing content. Depending on your requirements you might need to:
- Discover and store the grouping and sources for each group
- Re-group the players in the way you want for the door chime (possibly one big group)
- Find the chime file on a NAS or other file share and push the URL to the group to get it to play
- Restore the original grouping and sources

At each step multiple things can go wrong and, if you do it right, you will have logic to handle those error conditions. It requires interaction with Sonos at quite a deep level, and I'm really not sure if any of the current HA "glue" solutions like Yonami can do this.

Even if you developed this on a standalone system (such as a Raspberry Pi) talking directly to the Sonos players using SoCo (https://github.com/SoCo/SoCo) or similar, I suspect there would be occasions where you suffer a few seconds delay before the music stops and the doorbell chime sounds, and occasions when it doesn't work at all.

It sounds like a fun project if you have the time and inclination, but given the challenges, I'm not sure it's that practical.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I appreciate it is complicated hence I am looking to see if someone else has started slicing the elephant..

My intention is indeed to build a little stand alone solution on RPi, to capture the doorbell event from the "DoorBird" device.
You have a good point about the Sonos player grouping issue, because it is not the fastest process and therefore not compatible with the concept of urgency.

Keeping things simple, I may initially dedicate one player to play a particular sound file pushed direct from the Pi. I haven't looked into the time it takes for a player to respond in such a situation, given it may be doing something else at the time...
Maybe I can use the player groups as configured at any point in time?

As mentioned, I will research and try to figure this out. Thank you very much for your point of view and if you have more great comments, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Thomas
Badge +3
Hi Dani & Keith,
I have a door bell that generates a push event that I intend to capture, but then I want to briefly interrupt what is played on some of my sonos players and play a "ding dong" file, then let the sonos players resume - Can that be achieved?
I intend to research this in detail but your point of view would be very much appreciated, thanks
Thomas

This could be a solution that works with Yonomi. Mount this http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C030/ instead the door bell button, and you can trigger whatever routine you want, including "a ding dong" file.
Bellow you have a routine example with what you want and further...

I just tried out Yonomi. It doesn't seem to support grouping.

It also took nearly ten seconds to play something from the point I triggered it on the app. I don't consider this fast enough for a doorbell. Factoring in reaction time and getting to the door, the typical Parcelfarce delivery person will have put a card through to door and be halfway down the road before I got to the door.

YMMV.

Cheers,

Keith
Badge +3
I just tried out Yonomi. It doesn't seem to support grouping.
Keith

It does. But Sonos, not Yonomi. I grouped the speakers in Sonos app (Living + Kitchen) then I play Sonos Kitchen speaker (into a Yonomi routine) and it does play along with the Sonos Living speaker simultaneously (because they are already grouped in Sonos app).
Thanks Dani, but I meant it doesn't support the ability to perform grouping/ungrouping, which seems to be a potential requirement for this application (of course, depending on how it's put together).

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Dani & Keith,

I took a quick look at Yonomi and it may be possible for me to use to test the concept. My immediate issue is that my doorbell needs to be reliable (and quick) and not be dependent on a particular phone with a loaded app being home and online. I will continue looking to ultimately build a stand alone solution based on a RPi type platform.

To use Yonomi with my existing kit, I first need to integrate to capture the door bell event and make Yonomi 'aware'.
Thank you both for your helpful comments, I will update you when I make some progress

Regards, Thomas
This may be of interest: https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/there-any-doorbell-out-there-that-can-work-as-sonos-doorbell-6677084/index2.html

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks Keith,
The swiss have cracked it, by the looks of it - including the player group issue.

Assuming the Swiss has made it work with an acceptable propagation delay, means it is technically possible. They only want CFH555 (£450) https://shop.egger-enertech.ch/product/lextend-d-i6/
Or it may even be possible with their cheaper model (CHF500) https://shop.egger-enertech.ch/product/lextend-d-net/

Well, problem solved or challenge set to do it cheaper, depending on the way you look at it :-)

Thanks for the link

Rgds, Thomas
Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Assuming the Swiss has made it work with an acceptable propagation delay, means it is technically possible. They only want CFH555 (£450) https://shop.egger-enertech.ch/product/lextend-d-i6/
Or it may even be possible with their cheaper model (CHF500) https://shop.egger-enertech.ch/product/lextend-d-net/

Well, problem solved or challenge set to do it cheaper, depending on the way you look at it :-)

Although I have huge respect for the time invested in creating such a system, I still think that for just creating a door-bell this is a very steep price point. If you have other needs though, it might be good.

I just want to point out to you that the actual implementation of playing a custom sound (triggered by a HTTP request) over all your players, and then resume what they are doing exists in the open-sourced HTTP API that I have built. You can install a pre-made image onto an SD-card for a raspberry pi, then add some additional code if you want it to be triggered from a GPIO pin instead. More work, surely, but for the cost of a raspberry pi, some wire and a button + time invested you would achieve the same thing. Just to give you some alternative (as in, cheaper).
You might want to checkout https://github.com/EliSchleifer/sonos-doorbell.

It is a fairly simple HTTP server doorbell solution. The server code integrates with SoCo which allows it to target a sonos zone to play a locally hosted file when the HTTP request is sent.

DoorBird integration is fairly simple from there. The DoorBird device can easily be programmed to make an HTTP call. Happy to help anyone get it setup if interested.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We're doing the rounds to let everyone know that today we just announced that IFTTT and Sonos have been integrated. Take a look at our announcement post. We're excited to see what you put together!