Answered

does smart play 1 speakers start music in my new playbar?

• 30 April 2020
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Does smart play 1 speakers start music in my new playbar?

Ive just bought a new Playbar and looking to buy 2x smart play 1 speakers secondhand. Once connected, will the smart play 1 speakers also play music from the playbar as well as the play 1 speakers? 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 30 April 2020, 20:12

Ok, so it sounds that by ‘smart play:1’s, you mean Sonos One (with microphone included).  That is a different product that Play:1.  But to answer your question, yes, the mics on Sonos Ones can be turned on and a request to play music will play on the playbar and Sonos Ones.

To be clear though, even though the playbar doesn’t have a built in mic, you can still tell Alexa (through a Sonos One, echo, or any Alexa enabled device) to play music on your playbar.  So for example, instead of buying the 2 Sonos Ones, you can buy an echo dot.  Link Alexa and Sonos together, setup an Alexa group so that the Dot knows to automatically play music requests on your playbar, and yoru done.  Not saying that the Sonos Ones are a bad idea, just that if your only goal is to voice control the playbar, then there are cheaper ways to do it.

View original

4 replies

Not sure I understand the question, but will try to answer.  When you setup speakers as surround sound (including play:1) they become bonded to the playbar.  When playing TV audio, they will play the surround audio channels if the TV content has rear audio.   When playing music, you can configure the rear speakers to be silent, or to play stereo along with the playbar.  You don’t have the option to play one audio source on the playbar and something different on the rear speakers.  

Of course, if you can also setup the speakers as a separate room, not bonded to the playbar.  In that case the play:1s and playbar can play the same music or different music as you wish.  However, the play:1s can’t play surround audio channels for TV audio.

Thanks for that….so if bonded to the new playbar (which isn’t smart - Alexa controllable) and I walk into the room and I say to the smart play 1’s... Alex play blah blah...that music will play out of both the play 1’s and the playbar? Sorry if I’m being thick. 

Ok, so it sounds that by ‘smart play:1’s, you mean Sonos One (with microphone included).  That is a different product that Play:1.  But to answer your question, yes, the mics on Sonos Ones can be turned on and a request to play music will play on the playbar and Sonos Ones.

To be clear though, even though the playbar doesn’t have a built in mic, you can still tell Alexa (through a Sonos One, echo, or any Alexa enabled device) to play music on your playbar.  So for example, instead of buying the 2 Sonos Ones, you can buy an echo dot.  Link Alexa and Sonos together, setup an Alexa group so that the Dot knows to automatically play music requests on your playbar, and yoru done.  Not saying that the Sonos Ones are a bad idea, just that if your only goal is to voice control the playbar, then there are cheaper ways to do it.

Hi thanks that’s really helped 🙏