Answered

Connecting Outdoor TV Sound To Two Outdoor Amps/Zones

• 30 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi Community,

I recently installed two outdoor zones (1 with in ceiling speakers in outdoor kitchen and 1 with two outdoor waterproof speakers attached to the house). I want to hook up the outdoor TV to the both Sonos amps/zones. The TV has the ability to connect via bluetooth but as we know Sonos runs over WiFi. My question is if it is better to run hard wires from the TV to the Connect Amps. If so, how can I get both amps wired together so I can play sound in both zones? If not, does it make sense to buy a WiFi to BT converter and connect that through the Connect Amps somehow and then connect to the TV via BT.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rich
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 1 October 2019, 15:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

If you have Connect:Amps, there really isn't a good solution for you, unfortunately as the Connect:Amp isn't designed to work with your TV. The audio will trail the video due to buffering for whole home audio. Even if you got a BT receiver to connect to your aux input on the Connect:Amp, you'll still have lip sync issues. You can group 2 Connect:Amps together, but they will both be out of sync with the video.

If your Connect:Amps are located in the same physical location, you might want consider replacing them with a single Sonos Amp. The Sonos Amp has over twice the wattage of the Connect:Amp, and can power all 4 speakers. If the speakers are 8 ohms, then the speakers can be connected directly, otherwise you can use an impediance matching speaker switch. The Sonos Amp also has HDMI-ARC to connect to your TV and will not have any lip sync issues. The above is the setup I currently have for my backyard.
Danny,

Thanks for your great reply. I am wondering if maybe I do have the Sonos Amp instead of the Connect Amp as it does have the HDMI-ARC option plug in the back. I bought the Outdoor Speakers and In-Ceiling Speaker Sets off Sonos website. I was told by Sonos I should get two amps if I want to play different music out of the speakers so that is why I bought the two sets. Is there a way I can tell? I looked on their site and it just calls it an "Amp" with 125W/Ch at 8 ohms. If that is the case I should be able to run the HDMI-ARC to the TV from the amp right?

Thanks again!
Rich
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This is the Sonos Amp:

This is the Connect:amp:

Userlevel 7
Danny,

Thanks for your great reply. I am wondering if maybe I do have the Sonos Amp instead of the Connect Amp as it does have the HDMI-ARC option plug in the back. I bought the Outdoor Speakers and In-Ceiling Speaker Sets off Sonos website. I was told by Sonos I should get two amps if I want to play different music out of the speakers so that is why I bought the two sets. Is there a way I can tell? I looked on their site and it just calls it an "Amp" with 125W/Ch at 8 ohms. If that is the case I should be able to run the HDMI-ARC to the TV from the amp right?

Thanks again!
Rich

Hi rlstump

You obviously have the new Sonos Amp. You can connect the TV to one of the Sonos Amps via HDMI_ARC or via optical with a Sonos HMDI/Optical adapter. After the setup is complete you can group the other set of speakers driven by the other Sonos amp. Lipsync may still be present with the second set of speakers. Music will pose no such issue when grouping.

Cheers!
Something like the product below might be useful.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543SDB4VC/Russound-SDB-4-1.html

This would allow you to connect 4 pairs of speakers (more than you need) and 2 amps, and switch the pairs of speakers around as you need it. So when playing music, you can power your 1st pair of speakers with amp 1, and 2nd pair with amp 2. That will give you the best power to speakers. You can play the music together or separate as you want with the Sonos app.

When you want to play TV audio, set both pairs of speakers to play from the amp connected to the TV. This will reduce the power to the speakers, but should still be just fine for TV audio.
You guys are amazing. Thank you so much!! Danny, that speaker selector will complete control over each speaker which is great when watching games on the TV but wanting music or whatever at various volumes to other speakers. Appreciate it!

Rich