Answered

Connect Sonos to Samsung SmartThings

• 9 January 2021
  • 20 replies

Hi,

I am trying to connect my Sonos to Samsung SmartThings. My system was connected to wifi and ST could not find any speaker. I then connected my ZP90 with Ethernet. The my ST system find my so is speakers, however, then I am not able to see them in my Sonos app... 

I have a feeling that I have tried almost everything. Do you think I need a Boost...?

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 10 January 2021, 18:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @erlendsf

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thanks for bringing your concern to our attention. Let me share some information with you.

The Samsung SmartThings and Sonos integration allow you to add your Sonos speakers and control them using the SmartThing app. The Sonos boost will give you better coverage and less interference. So long as your Sonos speakers are connected to your WiFi network without issue, then you’ll be fine without it.

Let me share the steps on how to set up Samsung Smart Things with Sonos.

1. At the top right of the Smart Things app, select the + symbol, then select “Add Device”.
  2. Select WiFi/Hub
  3. Select your Hub (Example used is the IM6001-V3P)
  4. Follow the flow to set up Hub, choose location and room, and set up WiFi.
  5. After Hub is set up, you can now add Sonos Speakers.
  6. Press the + button and select add device.
  7. Search and Select Sonos.
  8. Select a Sonos player or product.
  9. Follow the flow in-app to add a device.
  10. Set up is complete.

You may also check the ​Smart Things Support FAQ for your reference.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi Rowena, I have the exact same issue. I have an Amp and a Move and I have a SmartThings hub that is already ‘found’ and connected to my SmartThings app. Since it’s already connected, the steps above  to ‘add device’ and then add the hub do not work. (Assuming this is true for everyone, since you have to have the hub connected in order to do anything with ST) Both the Amp and the Move are successfully set up in the Sonos app; both play music from that app.  In the SmartThings app, when I attempt to Add Device by ‘scan nearby’, the two devices are never discovered. When I attempt to Add Device by device type or by brand name, I get the exact same error after a 3-min delay: “It looks like we didn’t connect. Try again or reset the device”.   

FYI 1 - Both Sonos devices are also successfully connected to the Alexa voice assistant as well; I disconnected that service thinking that it might somehow be blocking the connection to SmartThings - no luck. 

FYI 2 - All devices are on the same wifi network. 

FYI 3 - I’ve unplugged all devices, reset all devices, cursed out all devices… :grinning:

Thanks for advising!

Mark

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi @LL Tool J

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for your detailed post describing your concern.  We appreciate your effort in resolving the issue. At this point, I would recommend contacting our phone support for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. It would be great if you can provide our team with your full network setup including the make and model to look up the information. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Hi,

Did you find any resolution for this? I have the same issue, My SmartThings app cannot find the Sonos Beam to connect whether I have the Beam set up using the ethernet cable or on the same wifi as the SmartThings hub.

Thanks Paul.

Userlevel 7

@paulht Try rebooting your router and Smartthings Hub and unplug your Beam from power for about a minute. Then try to add the Beam in the Smartthings app again.

@GuitarSuperstar Thanks for the tips, I have tried rebooting both the hub and router, also unplugging the Beam, still no luck. Also reading some of the recommendations in the SmartThings community I’ve got both the hub and Beam on the same subnet with the Beam on a fixed IP address with a low host number - these don’t seem to make any difference either.

Userlevel 2

I’m having the same problem. I migrated from S1 to S2 and the speakers I had paired previously with ST are still paired. But the two mew ones I added will not pair despite trying all the same things noted above. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

SmartThings doesn't have sonos as an option. ST only has bose as an option..

Please help? 

Userlevel 7

@Mmsonos33 You can connect and control Sonos speakers with the SmartThings hub. Have you tried adding your Sonos speakers in the SmartThings app?

Quick update … I managed to connect, not sure what happened but trying again it added the device. I guess you just need to keep trying.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi.. yes  but the st app doesn't show sonos as an option

Userlevel 7

@Mmsonos33 That’s strange. Sonos should be an option when you try to add a device under “By brand”.

Hi!

Do you absolutely need a Hub to connect a sonos Amp to Smart Things?

Thanks

Userlevel 7

@jaysim Yes, Sonos integration with Smartthings requires the Smartthings Hub.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@GuitarSuperstar i know right. very strange!

@GuitarSuperstar i know right. very strange!

I found the workaround as I had the same issue that Sonos is gone both in By Brand or By Device -> Speaker. I have a V2 ST hub

To add your speakers, use the Scan nearby top right of your screen. Add your speakers one by one, they are then usable in Automations as a speaker for instance

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm going to try this again. .. i think I need to plug my st hub into the mesh router pod. It's currently wired to the old Router with wifi disabled. The Sonos is plugged into one of the mesh routers. Scan is not picking up the sonos. Going to plug the st hub into the mesh router and try again

Userlevel 7

@Mmsonos33 In a mesh network setup, the ST Hub and Sonos speaker should be wired directly to the router or gateway and not a pod or extender.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks. I plugged the ST hub into mesh router (deco e4) hub in the bedroom. Scanned and it picked up my speakers. Thank the gawwwd. Automations like goodbye should work now.

My playbar is plugged into the other mesh hub in lounge. (Router/modem is cabled into this mesh hub)

I had to disable the wifi on the router because of double nat. .. if i plug playbar into router with wifi disabled causes some issues with functionality. I should have bought the mesh router with more ports instead of having this tp link router plus deco e4. The deco e4 only has 2 network ports. 

Deco e4 needs the modem of the router so it takes up a port.

Thanks again. SmartThings survives replacement thoughts.