Answered

Cannot group Sonos system with Google Home devices

Show first post

218 replies

Wish I had found this thread earlier, just got one of those Ikea Sonos speakers yesterday, had issues connecting to my Google WiFi (no other device has ever had issues with that), to the Google home account and after I tried this morning and finally added the speaker to Google home... I can't play anything on it from Google home and can't add them to the same group. One thing I hate about companies are walled gardens, just like apple and I think Sonos is walking in their footsteps. I guess I'll stick with my 10 years old Logitech z2300 connected to Google audio, sounds great even after all these years. Gonna return the Sonos piece of junk. 

+1

very disappointed… I have bought Sonos beam and google home speakers today and I’m not able to group them to have a control over google assistant. It seems like I have to return it and replace by deon heos which seems to have that integration. 

You sure about that?  First I’ve heard of it.  Did a quick search and saw nothing about it.  If you aren’t a 100% sure, I’d contact Denon before having to return another speaker.  Actually, I’d get that answer before you return the Beam, as you may find the Beam is your best option, even if it doesn’t do all that you want.

+1

very disappointed… I have bought Sonos beam and google home speakers today and I’m not able to group them to have a control over google assistant. It seems like I have to return it and replace by deon heos which seems to have that integration. 

+1 here.
I would have to return my buying if the real Sonos-Google integration isn't going to happen.
Most definitely disappointing that Sonos-Google “integration” does not allow:
  1. grouping of Sonos and Google speakers
  2. control of Sonos grouping by voice.
This is particularly disappointing because the work-around that I used prior to “integration” did allow 1. by using chromecast as a line-in source to Sonos. Seems that the work-around had better functionality than the “integration”.

Add my vote for 1. and 2. above. Or at least tell us if it’s not going to happen.
All of this waiting for crap. Goggle assistant can cast to ONE. A year ago I found a sync and work around with Chromecast. It even allow for syncing the speaker delay coming from other rooms. Why can we create groups?
Another one for the pile of disappointment here.

I have a play 1 already and recently discovered google assistant and the google home products, I was excited when I found that google home picked up my sonos and that I could now look to expand my sonos enterprise by integrating both the varying sonos and google products I want throughout the house.

I quickly found that I couldn’t get music playing both through my google home mini in the kitchen and the sonos 1 on the front room. This has halted the likely purchase of an extra sonos and a sonos sound bar for our TV and I’ll be looking into other products or the google home max instead to expand out now unless sonos can 100% commit to changing the grouping ability.
The only thing holding me back from purchasing these speakers today is the lack of chromecast built-in. I keep checking back to see if it will be integrated in a future update.

I am already invested but Chromecast is what I'm really missing with this system. Grouping with a Google home would allow casting and I'd by one to cut down on cords but trying to cast sound from a projector is my goal and apple iOS is not a direction I would ever go due to its limitations.
.Had planned to outfit my home with Sonos. For somebody in Google home ecosystem the Sonos app and lack of integration with streaming services feels limited, for example can't do Economist or as somebody else mentioned BBC. I'd guess most Sonos buyers willing to pay premium are not audiophiles and don't take the 'best experience/audio only if you use our app' claims that seriously. Just want some speakers that sound and look good, integrate easily, dummyproof for wife and kids and don't require a separate clumsy app trying to replicate what Google home already does perfectly. I'm with the others, returning and buying a bunch of Google home maxes. Only posting out of frustration because it took me a while to figure all this out and it seems so basic I couldn't believe it actually isn't an option.
Userlevel 2
The only thing holding me back from purchasing these speakers today is the lack of chromecast built-in. I keep checking back to see if it will be integrated in a future update.
Badge
Damnit, should have read this topic sooner. Just bought two Sonos One to group them with the Naim muso 2 and didn't understand why I couldn't do it on google assistant.

So sadly, it will be a refund :/

Exactly same situation... Going to bring my Sonos back.

Another downside is that I cannot even use the built in Google assistant as it is not supported in my country. Looks like I have to continue using my Google home + Chromecast + Marshall stanmore connected through TV. I saw that Harman kardon has similar speaker... I wonder if they can be grouped or chosen as primary speaker.
Same situation here - presumed you could form grups with the google, now I'm stuck with 3 google speakers and one other on it's way. Feels like the sonos speaker wont be used.
Being able to form a speaker group with my google home speakers is literally the only reason I bought this Sonos One. I am very, very disappointed to discover this is not possible and feel tricked that it was never called out in any of the product literature
Why is it companies always go 98% of the way of giving customers the functionality that they actually need? When thinking through this product what was the thought process?

Customers want a voice controlled speak? Yes!
Customers want to connect it to google assistant? Yes!
Customers want to add it to a group of speaks they will most likely already have at home? Yes, but lets not give them that.

It's unfinished business. It's totally solvable. Sort it out with Google.

I bought a new Sonos One today but I'll be taking it back as for me, like many many other people, this is a critical feature of . a voice controlled speaker.
Over a year ago I posted on the message board expressing my disappointment in the lack of integration . Many users felt I was being too harsh saying they had only promised integration sometime in 2018. They missed the integration time by 6 months and provided a sub-par integration. They were saying also that it could be Google slowing the process, but based on the number of compatible products coming out, I highly doubt Google is the bottleneck.

Time to switch speakers.
Not to pile on here, but count me as another disappointed customer. I bought my recent Sonos setup under the assumption that I would be able to add them to my other speaker groups within Google Home. Now, when I play music in my "Upstairs" group, for example, my living room has only my dinky Google Home rather than my Playbar/2xPlay:1 to add to the chorus.

Essentially my Sonos will only be used for the TV, which is a huge waste.
Thanks Roman for bringing this up, i had the same expectation of being able to add my sonos speaker to a google speaker group. Hopefully it will be possible in the near future.
Yes, just bought a sonos Setup for the living room and naively thought ( like the "expert" in the Shop told me) sonos with integrated google assistant could be integrated into a google home multiroom Setup (or google speakers into the sonos multiroom setup). But After some reseach i found this thread and the unhappx info that sonos would need to Support chromecast...

Now I am a bit dissapointet, is sonos Planung some Kind of compatibility to the chromecast multiroom audio or do i have to finally clinch between google/chromecast devices and sonos devices?
i waited for Google:Sonos integration assuming speaker grouping is a given, fundamental feature. Was about to add 2 more Sonos speakers. How glad I’m I didn’t buy those ahead of release. You lost me Sonos. Simple as that.
Damnit, should have read this topic sooner. Just bought two Sonos One to group them with the Naim muso 2 and didn't understand why I couldn't do it on google assistant.

So sadly, it will be a refund 😕
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The Sonos system is the best by far, however that was before the rise of assistance voice. Sonos admitted they really didn't expect voice enabled speakers to take off and were very late to the party.

I do feel that Sonos have joined this party begrudgingly, they really didn't want to do this and stick with their very unique and excellent system.

However the method of listening to music had and we'll develop further towards voice enabled speakers. Be that asking for your music on a single speaker, group of speakers or the whole house.

I feel Sonos have done the bare minimum to say they have Assistant build into their system, but it's basic at best. Just look at what they launched for GA after 2 years work. No voice recognition, no direct play to Sonos from within Google app, no ability to select Sonos as a speaker with Google app.

Its very achievable just look at Sony, JBL and LG. Yes I know the music quality of these products does not compare to Sonos, it's just that Sonos have done the minimum which pleases no one. Myself as a Sonos use who has GA; it's just not capable enough. It will also not suit individuals who are looking to buy into smart speakers, if these individuals to the research they will probably look at Amazon, Google, Sony, JBL, LG the list goes on and on.

I regard this as a defensive decision by Sonos which will hurt their headline sales.

I loved and still love the sound and quality of my Sonos but I took the plunge and sold my Play 5 at bought Google Home Max cheaper and sounds very good with full GA. I waited for the UK launch to see how good/ bad the integration is before making a decision on my Play 1 & 3. Suffice to say I'm not impressed. The vast lack of integration is enough to tip me over to other makes. I will accept a slightly lesser sound quality, even that's subjective with the better GA speaker's, to get a full Google Voice speaker with Google or 95% there for every other third party speakers who only stop short regarding voice calling.

Sonos is and I believe will be light years behind of their current strategy.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Will be interesting to see if grouping with non-Sonos speakers is something that ever happens.

One of the main reasons I invested in Sonos was the idea that their approach to hardware, use of Sonosnet and commitment to this market meant they were the best for syncing whole house audio and not dropping streams. Maybe tech has improved since but it would genuinely surprise me if they can achieve a similarly solid experience with third party speakers mixed in.
Another disappointed Sonos user here. I've been wondering why I wasn't seeing my Sonos speakers as addable to GA speaker groups. Finally took the time to do a little searching and ended up here. I was assuming it was just me overlooking something.

This really screws up my whole configuration--not being able to simultaneously play on all my speakers throughout the house. Guess I'll give it a little time and see if they make any progress but seems likely I'll soon be dumping my Sonos gear for something that plays nicely with the rest of my home.

😞
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sorry you feel that way. Out of curiosity is that a gen 1 or gen 2 Play:5?
Play 5 Gen 2.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Sonos have made a good start with GA, even if it has taken over a year. This has breathed fresh life back into my PLAY1s, and one has regained it's lost position in my Kitchen to join my google home hub.I still think the PLAY1 sounds great and i still believe it is a winner for the price.
Will i buy anymore.........not until i can get BBC sounds out of it.