Question

can't find Amazon Alexa in Services & Voice menu

Badge

I live in Jersey which should come under uk so expect my sonos move voice control to connect to my Alexa but I can't find the option in the Service & Voice menu in the sonos settings. I can play music etc through all my sonos devices using my Echo dot I just can't seem to get it working the other way around. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That's strange, here's my Move settings:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

All of my Sonos devices show a location.

Edit:

All my Alexa Sonos devices show a location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you please check that you have no duplicate device or group names in the Alexa App?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I live in Jersey which should come under uk so expect my sonos move voice control to connect to my Alexa but I can't find the option in the Service & Voice menu in the sonos settings. I can play music etc through all my sonos devices using my Echo dot I just can't seem to get it working the other way around. 

When you say ‘the other way round’, are you expecting to use Sonos to play through Amazon devices, grouping together Sonos and Amazon devices?  If so, then none of us can do that.  Maybe that isn’t what you mean.

No I meant that I have done the Alexa side of things... app,  skill, account and enabled all devices in the Alexa app inc the Move. What I can't do is activate the Alexa voice in the sonos app because it doesn't seem to exist in my menu

I know it might be obvious, but have you clicked on the + symbol here?

i missed the whole section for a while: don’t ask me why. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

When you say ‘the other way round’, are you expecting to use Sonos to play through Amazon devices, grouping together Sonos and Amazon devices?  If so, then none of us can do that.  Maybe that isn’t what you mean.

No I meant that I have done the Alexa side of things... app,  skill, account and enabled all devices in the Alexa app inc the Move. What I can't do is activate the Alexa voice in the sonos app because it doesn't seem to exist in my menu

I know it might be obvious, but have you clicked on the + symbol here?

i missed the whole section for a while: don’t ask me why. 

Badge

Jacobjacobi

Yes, see pic from my app/account. It lists all the apps you can use just not Amazon one I can see in yours:

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi. I’m having issues posting to this forum now - not sure why. 

I have a separate section to add music services. If I add add music service I get the list you have. If I add voice service I only see amazon and google as options. I’m on the iOS version of the app 

Jacobjacobi

Yes, see pic from my app/account. It lists all the apps you can use just not Amazon one I can see in yours:

Those are music services.  You need to choose Voice Services.

Badge

Can you please check that you have no duplicate device or group names in the Alexa App?

I have Hue bulb called 'living room' and also my playbar speaker and as 'living room', see first pic. Could that cause an issue? 

Also they and fire TV are in group living room see 2nd pic. Thanks

Badge

So these are the steps im following that get me to the menu above.  Is that right? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It could well be. Please see my post re naming standards: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/best-practices-for-naming-of-devices-6819283/index1.html

If voice services were available, it would be listed at the top as "Voice Services" with it's own Add sign.  Perhaps you are in a country that does not have voice services available, or your country is entered incorrectly in your profile.  Check the country here:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/profile/

Badge

jgatie

Thanks but as you can see from Jacobjacobi post it should be available where I live. Our only difference is he is using OIS and im in droid.  I have emailed sonos support as this should be working. 

jgatie

Thanks but as you can see from Jacobjacobi post it should be available where I live. Our only difference is he is using OIS and im in droid.  I have emailed sonos support as this should be working. 

That doesn't mean your country is set correctly.  I've seen it happen before; features or services are not listed due to a  blank or incorrect country in the profile.  Only takes seconds to check.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

jgatie

That doesn't mean your country is set correctly.  I've seen it happen before; features or services are not listed due to a  blank or incorrect country in the profile.  Only takes seconds to check.

I’m not sure if this helps. 

Badge

It's set to a 'jersey UK' postcode so that shouldn't be an issue.  Tempted to link my account to a proper uk post code though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you also open the Alexa App>Settings>Device Settings and check the Device Location for your Sonos device.

Badge

Can you also open the Alexa App>Settings>Device Settings and check the Device Location for your Sonos device.

Hey UKMedia, thanks for the suggestion.  Problem is I don't seem to have the option to select location in my device menu, see pic... any ideas? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please select Devices (bottom right button) then select All Devices. If you then select the Move , you should be able to select location.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi. I’m in Jersey too and have Alexa through the move. Have you installed the Sonos skill in the Amazon app?

Badge

Jacobjacobi

If it's the one in the pic yes. But its good to know it works here thanks

Badge

Please select Devices (bottom right button) then select All Devices. If you then select the Move , you should be able to select location.

Nope... see updated pic. The only devices that give me a location option are the Amazon ones e.g Echo dot, fire TV etc. The option is not there for all 3rd party devices :-/ should add that all my amazon devices are set to UK GB location

Badge