Answered

Automatic grouping

• 15 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello,

Is it possible for Move to automatically group with my Playbase connected to tv using any home assistant or sensors of any kind or on routine activation? I am watching tv then go to the kitchen where Move stands. I want it to automatically group with Playbase so I can hear the tv. When I leave the kitchen I would like it to ungroup itself.

Is it possible in any, proven and trustworthy way? 

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 16 September 2021, 13:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hello,

Is it possible for Move to automatically group with my Playbase connected to tv using any home assistant or sensors of any kind or on routine activation? I am watching tv then go to the kitchen where Move stands. I want it to automatically group with Playbase so I can hear the tv. When I leave the kitchen I would like it to ungroup itself.

Is it possible in any, proven and trustworthy way? 

I don’t think there would be any simple way of doing this sort of automation now.  Although it seems simple on the surface, it would get complicated really fast.

In case you were not aware, you can do a long press on the play button of your Move, to instruct it to group with whatever audio is playing in another Sonos room (your Playbase). When you leave the kitchen, you can long press again to ungroup.  It’s not perfect, but should be a lot less cumbersome then grouping/ungrouping from the app.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=en_US

Badge

Thank you for the response. I already learned about the long press function. That's why I thought it should be kinda easy. All that is required is already implemented - "long press". I only need for that to show in the Google Assistant routine. Speakers can already react to specific routines, I can choose for it to play music when light activates, I only need that "long press" to show up on the list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It should be possible with Hubitat. A rule triggered by a motion sensor could do the grouping, just not sure on the ungrouping. I'll try and test later. 😁

Badge

Does not have to be ungrouping, a simple stop would be enough I think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Does not have to be ungrouping, a simple stop would be enough I think.

Okay, so there’s some good news and some not so good news!:sunglasses:

I have created an activity within my Harmony Hub that selects my Arc in the lounge and my Beam in the kitchen.

Running this activity, removes these two speakers from any other Sonos group they may have been in before and creates a new Sonos group :grin:

However, this breaks the TV audio input to the Arc and so, although grouped, no audio is heard anywhere! :rage:

Notwithstanding this, I have created a rule in Hubitat that will create the grouping when motion is detected in the kitchen during the evening, although again the audio is stopped!:rage:

With some more work, I’m sure it could work but you would need Hubitat and a Harmony Hub to do it. Voice control through Alexa can invoke the Harmony activity as well, so you could take Hubitat out of the solution if you wanted to invoke it via voice.

Badge

I am gonna have to think ifswitching to the home assistant won't be easier. Thank you for your help! :)