Apple itunes AirPlay stopped working with Sonos One

• 30 October 2018
  • 17 replies

AirPlay suddenly can't connect to my two Sonos One anymore. Music via Sonos library works fine, so does radio via TuneIn. Restarted both iPhone and speakers to no effect.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Are iOS (12.0.1) and macOS (Mojave; 10.14) respectively up to date?
Yes, both on latest version.
Not nitpicking, just trying to be amusing, but iOS 12.1 was just released.

Pretty sure that's not your issue, since you're running 12.0.1. I'd at least try a reboot of the router, as an offhand chance, but I don't hold a lot of hope there. What I would recommend after that is that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Not nitpicking, just trying to be amusing, but iOS 12.1 was just released.
Thanks, Bruce. Didn't know that an update is pending. 🙂
Diagnostic reference 203378108
Laugh. No worries. Was released about 3 hours ago. I happen to be watching the Apple video of the release (new MacBook AIr, iPad Pros) right now, which is why it's on my mind. :)

Edit: Oh, a new Mac Mini as well.
Updated to version 12.1. still no change. IPad has the same issue, Sonos app works, airplay can see the Sonos speakers but can't connect.
A few things to perhaps quickly try...

Step 1
Open the Home app on your iOS device.
On your iOS device, tap  in the upper-left corner, tap Home Settings, then tap your Home.
Under Speakers, Allow Speaker Access then choose option 'Anyone On the Same Network'.

Step 2
Reset network settings and then recreate a new wireless/wifi connection to your LAN

Step 3
Reboot the main router and also power off/on the sonos speaker
Thanks for the suggestions. It is a dedicated network. Nobody else has access. Did the reboot of both - no effect. Network reset did not help either.
Thanks for the suggestions. It is a dedicated network. Nobody else has access. Did the reboot of both - no effect. Network reset did not help either.This is the setting i was referring to in the HomeKit App (see screenshot) ... can you just clarify again please, if you have checked that setting?
majoma,

You are the second person to have reported this issue recently on this forum and I have seen one other report in another forum. I’m wondering if it’s a particular model of iPhone ... do you have another (different) controller you can perhaps try?
Hi Ken, thanks again. Where do I find that particular screen? Can't find it in my Sonos App. I use iphone 7 and iPad Pro.Both have the same issue. In the Sonos app looking at the AirPlay setting I can see that the listed compatible speakers are displayed in grey. Should that be the case?
It’s in the Apple HomeKit App (not Sonos App) where you normally register the sonos speaker as an 'accessory' for use with Siri voice and home control... it’s just there is an authority there to use the speaker on the network... I’m thinking it may interfere with Airplay if you have not enabled it’s use on the network.

See attached screenshot of where to find it.
I am not using Siri or voice control. Btw when I open the HomeKit it kicks the phone off the network...If I try to add a device it's asking for an 8 digit code or to scan a particular image that is not displayed on the speakers...
I am not using Siri or voice control. Btw when I open the HomeKit it kicks the phone off the network...If I try to add a device it's asking for an 8 digit code or to scan a particular image that is not displayed on the speakers...
Yes that’s correct, see the help and tips section in the Sonos App. I’m guessing here though that the Airplay speaker needs authorising on the network and it’s the only area where iOS asks for that permission.
I have had similar problems with my iPhone for the last month or two. In my case, I'll suddenly be unable to connect to the speakers over Airplay2, even though I can still connect to them from my computer, or on the phone with the Sonos app. Resetting network settings as described above does solve the issue (temporarily) for me -- once I re-join the wifi network, I can then connect fine via Airplay2. However, the fix isn't permanent for me, it lasts sometimes a few days, or a few weeks, and I've done it about 4-5 times already... I don't have any other Airplay devices, so I'm not sure if it's a Sonos issue or an iOS issue.
I have had similar problems with my iPhone for the last month or two. In my case, I'll suddenly be unable to connect to the speakers over Airplay2, even though I can still connect to them from my computer, or on the phone with the Sonos app. Resetting network settings as described above does solve the issue (temporarily) for me -- once I re-join the wifi network, I can then connect fine via Airplay2. However, the fix isn't permanent for me, it lasts sometimes a few days, or a few weeks, and I've done it about 4-5 times already... I don't have any other Airplay devices, so I'm not sure if it's a Sonos issue or an iOS issue.
Make sure the so called Wi-Fi Assist is turned off. Might be it's interfering here.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296