Announcement: Update to "My Speaker" Alexa skill for Sonos

• 15 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I am pleased to announce a huge update to my Alexa skill for Sonos, "My Speaker". It allows you to do many things that the standard Sonos skill does not, such as playing your local Library, or Favorites, or Playlists, or services including Apple Music. It also allows access to normal Sonos groups (you can add and remove speakers by voice), and play things Everywhere.

it does require a companion app (now available for iOS as well as Windows), and is only compatible with US Amazon accounts (not my fault).

Setup is simple: no need to change the names of any speakers or anything, just say "Alexa, open My Speaker", login using your Sonos account, then install and run the companion app.

If you have any support questions please PM or email me, this forum is NOT the place for support questions for my skill.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
FYI I have updated this Skill to work with Amazon accounts in Canada, UK, Australia and India. This covers all the English-speaking locales that Amazon support. The non-US versions are very subtly different to the US version, but I doubt anyone can tell the difference. (Well except for the accents: it is weird to listen to Alexa speak with a British accent, even though that is how I sound to everyone else).
Userlevel 2
i have activated the My speaker skill on Alexa. It however only picks up 2 of my 3 Sonos Connects. It also does not pick up my Sonos Play 1 pair. All four are active on my sonos app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Please use the support email for assistance jitainss, instead of this forum. Thanks!
Badge +2
Will this allow me to use ringdoorbell2 notifications directly to broadcast to my ONE? I can get echo dot (my alexa interface for my play1's> to play the ring's notifications but not on my ONE; via the ring skill on alexa app. I've posted to the community and sent to support but you say only available for IOS and Windows; I'm on android so am i SOL? All I'd like to do is use my ringdoorbell2 chime/.wav file output to all my sonos Is this a sonos app/skill/plug-in or an alexa addon?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
IFTT might allow what you ask for trymph, I've never used that myself. My Speaker has no such ability. Although I did recently get a Ring myself, so hmm.....
Badge +2
FYI Ring is aware of their "Ring" app on Amazon not having skill to allow sonos ONE to act same as echo regarding chime from the ringdoorbell2. I have several play1s with echo dot connected where the DOT plays the doorbell notice and found that ONE will not. Ring says as Amazon relationship matures they will be working to integrate with Sonos much the way echo does regarding Alexa controls.