Question

Airplay - how does it work

• 26 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

I have few Play:1 (without Airplay), however, everything at my home is from Apple (except speakers :)).

I just wanna ask, how does the Airplay works compare to Apple Muisc in Sonos. Now I use Sonos mostly for playing Apple Music (and I’m happy with it), however, I would like to add some automations to the sound via Apple Homekit, so I might need to upgrade to Sonos with Airplay.

I just don’t know the difference between playing music from Sonos and via Airplay. When I pleay music directly from Sonos, I don't need to have iPhone/iPad around and it still plays the music, the calls don’t interupt the music. But, how does it work with airplay. When wanna airplay music from iPhone to Sonos, does calls interupt the music? Or when I start playing music from my iPhone and leave the house, does it stop playing or does it play somehow from the Sonos spekers regardles the iPhone?

Thanks for sharing your experiences,

Jakub

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When you use the Apple Music service via the Sonos app, the app merely instructs the speakers to play directly from Apple Music -- i.e., the speakers connect with Apple Music and stream directly from it.

When you use AirPlay, the AirPlay device (e.g., your iPhone) streams from Apple Music via the local Apple Music app. This audio stream is then sent to the target AirPlay speakers using the AirPlay protocol -- so the iPhone acts as an intermediary.

With AirPlay 2, phone calls (etc.) do not interrupt music playback, along with a number of other improvements over AirPlay 1.

Badge +2

Thanks for explanation. So when I play music over Airplay and leave house with my iPhone, the music stops playing. It’s not that good. However, if the calls (etc) don’t interrupt the music, it’s not that bad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for explanation. So when I play music over Airplay and leave house with my iPhone, the music stops playing.

Correct.

Badge +2