Adopting Matter?

Userlevel 1

Any news on Sonos adopting the Matter standard?

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Probably a matter for Sonos. Sorry couldn’t  help it. 

Rarely do you get any insight into Sonos future plans though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Bliz I had to look this up: The Connectivity Standards Alliance Unveils Matter, Formerly Known as Project CHIP - Zigbee Alliance

I'd be interested in what you think Matter would bring to Sonos. 

Userlevel 1

I’m hoping to get more connectivity through my smart devices and on board access to HomeKit instead of Airplay 2.  Having Siri as a voice assistant option would be #1. Though Apple seemed to suggest yesterday that you would need a HomePod mini to run commands through anyway. I’m not a developer so I’m not entirely sure how all the behind the scenes stuff works. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I’m hoping to get more connectivity through my smart devices and on board access to HomeKit instead of Airplay 2.  Having Siri as a voice assistant option would be #1. Though Apple seemed to suggest yesterday that you would need a HomePod mini to run commands through anyway. I’m not a developer so I’m not entirely sure how all the behind the scenes stuff works. 

I would like to see some integration with this as well. The only thing I don’t understand though is why does it have to be a HomePod Mini? I mean if you have an Apple TV, it’s effective a home hub with Siri integration already but it requires push to talk on the remote. Why not update it so that it can process Siri requests for any third party device? Be way better than having to buy a Apple speaker to play your non-Apple speaker…which makes no sense at all (so I agree with Sonos being upset about this). 

It isunfair.  I used to love sonos. It is being left

behind by apple. I am considering switching. 

After sonos changed and forced Me to buy new devices. Which happen to work left efficient than the former ones I lost My  faith in sonos. The main victims are us. 

Any updates/comms on this by Sonos? It's clear that Sonos is a dead horse if the continue playing bully with ridiculuous patents (changing volume on several devices can be patented, really!?) and won’t play with others. I’ll simply have to start switching over the coming few years (I have 7 Sonos devices at the moment, but Sonos has already forced to to buy new ones, showing again bully behaviour). Enough is enough Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@OlivR What would matter bring to you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Any updates/comms on this by Sonos? It's clear that Sonos is a dead horse if the continue playing bully with ridiculuous patents (changing volume on several devices can be patented, really!?) and won’t play with others. I’ll simply have to start switching over the coming few years (I have 7 Sonos devices at the moment, but Sonos has already forced to to buy new ones, showing again bully behaviour). Enough is enough Sonos.

Wow that’s some rant for your first post!

What has Sonos forced you to buy?  The bully behaviour was all Googles in that they infringed patents filed by Sonos.  Sonos are well within their right to protect those patents, they have been tested in a court of law to be bonafide.  Besides it’s the technical manner Google employed that was wrong, they could have built a solution that did not infringe on existing patents, but chose not to,

Besides this what on earth has this to do with Matter?  And has Matter actually delivered anything?

Any updates/comms on this by Sonos?

I’ve done some looking and yet to see how Matter would impact smart speakers in any way.  At least for now, it seems to be focused on setup and control of lights, plugs, cameras and more generic smart devices.  It’s not surprising, considering speakers tend to be a a bit more complex in functionality and control capabilities.  But the point being, I have no idea what anyone would expect Sonos to do about Matter at this point.

It's clear that Sonos is a dead horse if the continue playing bully with ridiculuous patents (changing volume on several devices can be patented, really!?) and won’t play with others.

As stated, it’s not the idea that was patented, but the method. Google had the option of paying a license fee to Sonos, or developing a different method of volume control.  The chose to just take the feature away from their customers.  I think you could make a strong argument that if Sonos didn’t defend their IP, then the tech giants would just steal the tech and outprice any competition, using the funds they have from their other lines of business.  There’s not way Sonos or any other smaller business could survive in that sort of environment.

As far as playing with others, an streaming service is welcome to connect with Sonos.  Is that the case with Google’s smart speakers?  Sonos would love to allow Google and Amazon voice to work on the same smart speaker, but Google doesn’t allow it. 

I’ll simply have to start switching over the coming few years (I have 7 Sonos devices at the moment, but Sonos has already forced to to buy new ones, showing again bully behaviour). Enough is enough Sonos.

You were never forced to buy new speakers.  Sonos reached a point where they could no longer keep their older products that had limited capabilities compatible with their new modern speakers, while still offering competitive products and features that customers are looking for. It’s strange how Google and the other tech giants are always in the news about how they are leveraging their massive size to control smaller companies and give themselves competitive advantage, yet some seem to think Sonos is the bully.

I stick to what I said about Sonos participating to the patent wars and playing the bully. I never said Google was better, but that doesn’t excuse Sonos from doing it. It’s unfortunate because I like Sonos, and have for years. But I feel the company is loosing it’s edge, and ramping up lawyer rather than engineers and designers, which is sad to see. This is to the point that today, if I was to spend 10 grand in a sound system for the house, I wouldn’t pick Sonos. 

As for Matter: it’s brand new, so obviosuly there isn’t much using it now. But most major vendors have announced they’d join. As for what I’d like to be able to do, maybe direct my doorbell to Sonos speakers. Or my bed alarm. Automatically shift my phone’s music to my Sonos when I arrive home. Blast alarm noise when my camera detect a burglar. Or tell my dog to get off the couch remotely, etc, etc, etc. The list is so long.

https://csa-iot.org/members/

Sonos is on the CSA Matter list right now :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

https://csa-iot.org/members/

Sonos is on the CSA Matter list right now :)

Thanks so much for sharing this! It’s really good to see that Sonos has joined the CSA Alliance which will likely bring Matter support to their products. Hopefully, it can be done via an update rather than new products. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

As far as playing with others, an streaming service is welcome to connect with Sonos.  Is that the case with Google’s smart speakers?  Sonos would love to allow Google and Amazon voice to work on the same smart speaker, but Google doesn’t allow it. .

I think this is the whole point of why we’re hoping Sonos adopts Matter - because Google/GAssistant, Amazon/Alexa. Apple/HomeKit, Samsung/SmartThings, IKEA/Tradfri, etc are all members and ALL devices that work with Matter will automatically work with each and every other Matter member company. This means, specifically, that you can control things from the SmartThings app, use Alexa or GAssistant interchangeably for voice control, use HomeKit integrations or Siri Shortcuts at will. It’s designed for multiple controls, as the consumer sees fit. Google joining the CSA/Matter/Thread standard means that this current stipulation/limitation that Google artificially forces (where you can’t have Alexa and GA on the same device) will be a thing of the past for any Matter devices.

I’m really happy to see Sonos on the CSA member list. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As far as playing with others, an streaming service is welcome to connect with Sonos.  Is that the case with Google’s smart speakers?  Sonos would love to allow Google and Amazon voice to work on the same smart speaker, but Google doesn’t allow it. .

I think this is the whole point of why we’re hoping Sonos adopts Matter - because Google/GAssistant, Amazon/Alexa. Apple/HomeKit, Samsung/SmartThings, IKEA/Tradfri, etc are all members and ALL devices that work with Matter will automatically work with each and every other Matter member company. This means, specifically, that you can control things from the SmartThings app, use Alexa or GAssistant interchangeably for voice control, use HomeKit integrations or Siri Shortcuts at will. It’s designed for multiple controls, as the consumer sees fit. Google joining the CSA/Matter/Thread standard means that this current stipulation/limitation that Google artificially forces (where you can’t have Alexa and GA on the same device) will be a thing of the past for any Matter devices.

I’m really happy to see Sonos on the CSA member list. 

I’m not so sure that I agree with you here.  The issue of Sonos not integrating with other multi room speakers is more to do with the propriety buffering/audio sync approach, rather than simple connectivity.  Thread and Matter is about connectivity between Smart Home devices, I have seen nothing to indicate Audio Synchronisation would be included in this framework.

That’s not to say that Sonos couldn’t use this framework to standardise the connection with local Audio Sources or perhaps to make SonosNet Thread compliant.  However, if I was a product manager within Sonos, this wouldn’t be at the top of my priority list and definitely not above local voice control (Snips)

Smart Home integration is already available via the Sonos API.  I successfully use Home Assistant and Hubitat to connect to my Sonos system, either as a single or grouped devices now.  Thread should make this integration easier and at a local, rather cloud level.  The advantage that Thread has over existing connectivity approaches (e.g. Zigbee & Z-Wave) is auto repairing and no single point of failure and that devices can change their role if a specific device fails.  e.g. in the diagram below, if the leader fails another device can change itself to fullfill that role.  From a Sonos perspective, the Roam and Zoom would take on the properties of ‘Sleepy end devices’ when using their battery as a power source, whilst using the properties of ‘End Devices’ when mains powered - as the other Sonos devices would do.  The question of using a Sonos mains device as a ‘Router’ or ‘Leader’ device, could be an option and could be a useful approach for reducing wi-fi interference in congested environments.

I stick to what I said about Sonos participating to the patent wars and playing the bully. I never said Google was better, but that doesn’t excuse Sonos from doing it. It’s unfortunate because I like Sonos, and have for years. But I feel the company is loosing it’s edge, and ramping up lawyer rather than engineers and designers, which is sad to see. This is to the point that today, if I was to spend 10 grand in a sound system for the house, I wouldn’t pick Sonos. 

Sonos has continued it’s stated aim of releasing 2-3 new products or major functionality improvements per year - can you point out any reduction in new technology as a result of the litigation around patents? 

The reason for Sonos enforcing their patents isn’t about stopping others from using their technology per se, it’s about enforcing a licensing model that stops big tech players from offering to integrate to their technology and then stealing that USP for their own benefit and at no cost. There are lots of factual cases of bullying from Apple, Amazon and Google and using their market dominance to keep smaller companies from competing on a level playing field.  Sonos have invested a lot of time and money to get to a position where they are profitable and their shares listed.  Can you point to one factual case of Sonos bullying? I for one think it only just that if partners become aware of their technology by collaboratory projects, that they license rather than steal that technology.

As for Matter: it’s brand new, so obviosuly there isn’t much using it now. But most major vendors have announced they’d join. As for what I’d like to be able to do, maybe direct my doorbell to Sonos speakers. Or my bed alarm. Automatically shift my phone’s music to my Sonos when I arrive home. Blast alarm noise when my camera detect a burglar. Or tell my dog to get off the couch remotely, etc, etc, etc. The list is so long.

All achievable now and set-up in my home - well apart from the dog part, my cat just ignores me, remotely or at home!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

When Sonos added WiFi support for their speakers back in the day, it resulted in a lot of customer frustration that exists to this day. Consumer routers often do a crap job of supported basic networking over multiple transports. Does anyone think these same routers (and other third party devices) are going to support Matter in a solid and reliable way, given that WiFi (and TCP/IP!) is still a problem for some in 2022?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When Sonos added WiFi support for their speakers back in the day, it resulted in a lot of customer frustration that exists to this day. Consumer routers often do a crap job of supported basic networking over multiple transports. Does anyone think these same routers (and other third party devices) are going to support Matter in a solid and reliable way, given that WiFi (and TCP/IP!) is still a problem for some in 2022?

I think the difference here is that for instance the Hue hub will be Thread compliant rather than all Hue devices and that will adopt the role of a Thread Router and so extend the mesh network for other Matter/Thread devices to connect to.  Perhaps I should have stated the difference of a Thread Router  and a Network router in the diagram above - my mistake.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Perhaps I should have also made clear that Zigbee and Zwave devices don’t get allocated IP addresses but Thread does integrate these different environments.  So, my understanding is that Sonos would need to build in these protocols into a Sonos device to make them compliant as either a Thread Router or Leader.

Which again, I can’t see Sonos doing….

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

And…. its delayed, again. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/matter-delayed-fall-2022/

There is no reason that Sonos cannot implement Matter as an integration/control method without giving up their proprietary audio method.  Sure, their speakers would not sync with non-Sonos speakers but at least you could discover and control them like Matter elements.  That would still be a big win for Sonos users.  Besides, now that Sonos has embraced the lower priced speakers too, why would you want the other speakers other than as a cheap control point?

Personally, I would love full integration but not at the expense of any quality or functionality advantages with Sonos.  I would rather keep my separate Sonos system than make sacrifices in the interest of unity.

There is no reason that Sonos cannot implement Matter as an integration/control method without giving up their proprietary audio method.  Sure, their speakers would not sync with non-Sonos speakers but at least you could discover and control them like Matter elements.  That would still be a big win for Sonos users.  Besides, now that Sonos has embraced the lower priced speakers too, why would you want the other speakers other than as a cheap control point?

Personally, I would love full integration but not at the expense of any quality or functionality advantages with Sonos.  I would rather keep my separate Sonos system than make sacrifices in the interest of unity.

I agree in theory, but a couple concerns about Sonos and Matter.   Yes, Sonos could adopt the Matter API for speakers, but they would still need to maintain their existing API.  So more space on the speakers...probably not a big deal.  But also their existing API, being Sonos specific, would have more control over Sonos features, not the subset of features that Amazon/Google/Apple want to support. It could actually result in 3rd party devices having less control over Sonos then they do now, if the drop support of Sonos API in favor of Matter API for speakers.

The other concern is that, people will assume that if two speaker brands have the matter certification, then they will play in sync together.  And this confusion will be blamed as Sonos misleading the public for a lot of consumers.  We know that’s going to happen because it already does with Alexa and Google Assistant integrations.  People assume that echos play with Sonos, or Google Nest (and whatever else) play with Sonos….and shame on Sonos for not making that easy code change happen!

Stopping music with use of homekit „good night” scene would be perfect enough for me with future matter support. Right now it possible to stop only airplay casted music.

It’s interesting that Sonos has dropped off the website listed earlier in this thread. Wonder what that means?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It’s interesting that Sonos has dropped off the website listed earlier in this thread. Wonder what that means?

Matter has no support for anything Audio, so it’s not entirely surprising.

The next opportunity to consider adding new protocols is March 2023, but it doesn’t seem like audio is even on the maybe list. That realistically means Sept 2023 at the earliest to even design an audio protocol, never mind anyone actually implement something.

I’m not holding my breath on this one., and nor do I care: we already have UPnP and it works very well.