Add Chromecast built-in Integration

• 26 December 2021
  • 95 replies

Userlevel 3

I live in Italy and here Android users are much more that the Android users that are in the USA…

Personally all my family have an Android device, like Google Pixels, and all the house have integration with Google Assistant and Google Home. We are a Google Family.

We bought a Sonos Move for have a portable speaker with a gorgeous sound, and I can confirm that it have, but we hear the lack of the Google Chromecast built-in integration.

In fact the Chromecast built-in feature is a great opportunity for Sonos, we think, because in this way Sonos Speakers can appear in Media controls of Google Home and so can be controlled by all the people that live in the house. Also Chromecast built-in have plenty of integration with some services that made things really easy.

So, we decide that for now Sonos for us it can be only the Sonos Move or the Sonos Roam that have also the Bluetooth, because we need it for limiting the lack of the Chromecast built-in functionality. But we appreciate that in the future these awesome speakers, that are probably the best in their category, will have the Chromecast built-in feature, so we can buy product that also came without Bluetooth.

Best regards,

Giovanni Galboni

95 replies

I agree with you that Sonos would be better with Chromecast than without it. I am not trying to claim any of these alternatives are perfect for you.

I just believe that Sonos are not stupid. Either Google won't let Sonos add Chromecast, or Sonos have made the judgement that adding it is not the most profitable use of scarce development resource. And that is because it would add too little value for too few users.

What would not be logical for Sonos to do would be to add Chromecast because this is 2022.

There are two options the way I see it.

1. You can back-feed the TV (with the Chromecast as the source) audio to a "Playbar" "Beam" or "Arc". Then control your audio like normal with the Chromecast. Group your Chromecast/Sonos devices and have group audio.

2. You can cast Spotify or another music service that offers "remote group listening" this allows for multiple users to listen to the same music session. Have another member of the session cast to the Sonos. You will have group audio controlled by the session leader, and voulme individually controlled by each user per zone.

I agree with you that Sonos would be better with Chromecast than without it. I am not trying to claim any of these alternatives are perfect for you.

I just believe that Sonos are not stupid. Either Google won't let Sonos add Chromecast, or Sonos have made the judgement that adding it is not the most profitable use of scarce development resource. And that is because it would add too little value for too few users.

What would not be logical for Sonos to do would be to add Chromecast because this is 2022.

This is from the Google Home App

I would encourage you to review the myriad of legal actions between these two companies, and reflect on what possible impact that might have on their relationship. 

Badge

I have used Sonos since year 2013 and I did not miss Chromecast streaming capability until a few years ago. I have two usecases for Chromecast now.

The company I work for entitles every employee to Headspace subscription to manage stress better in times of Covid, work from home etc. I like the service and their sleepcasts really help me fall asleep more quickly. Headspace app unfortunately does not support Sonos. I did not find their content in Sonos either. To workaround the issue, I take my conference device Jabra Speak 710 from my study every night and play sleepcast through Bluetooth instead of playing it on my Play:3 in the bedroom.

The other usecase I have is to play back radio show aired at 6:30am at around 8am same day (6:30am is too early for me). I can play back the show on RTHK app on my mobile phone or on RTHK website, but I do not find those podcasts on any other podcast service.

I don't want to speculate why Sonos does not implement Chromecast capability. However, Chromecast capability would definitely improve my Sonos experience.

I have used Sonos since year 2013 and I did not miss Chromecast streaming capability until a few years ago. I have two usecases for Chromecast now.

The company I work for entitles every employee to Headspace subscription to manage stress better in times of Covid, work from home etc. I like the service and their sleepcasts really help me fall asleep more quickly. Headspace app unfortunately does not support Sonos. I did not find their content in Sonos either. To workaround the issue, I take my conference device Jabra Speak 710 from my study every night and play sleepcast through Bluetooth instead of playing it on my Play:3 in the bedroom.

https://radio.sonos.com/directory/environments

Not sure how well this would work on the ad supportted version of Sonos radio, if it’s the same thing you get from headspace, or what other sleep related services are out there that you can get through Sonos.  

The other usecase I have is to play back radio show aired at 6:30am at around 8am same day (6:30am is too early for me). I can play back the show on RTHK app on my mobile phone or on RTHK website, but I do not find those podcasts on any other podcast service.

Can’t help you with that one. I mostly listen to talk on Sirius/XM and can playback older shows.

I don't want to speculate why Sonos does not implement Chromecast capability. However, Chromecast capability would definitely improve my Sonos experience.

Might want to have a look at WiiM.  Their little device has created quite a stir already for its big feature set at a little price.  They don’t currently support Chromecast, but have said they will be producing a second device that does Chromecast.  Their infrastructure is similar to that of Sonos, and they offer unlimited lifetime support, something most of Sonos’ competitors don’t offer, certainly not at this price point.

https://wiimhome.com/Overview.html

The WiiM Pro, with Chromecast support (along with Alexa Cast, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, UPnP, AirPlay 2...) will be available very soon.  Target price is $149.  It’s getting really difficult to justify a Sonos Port...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I think this feature will be useful. I understand Sonos integrates with YouTube music but all Sonos can do is pull a list of bookmarked songs (playlists) and play them. Typically, YouTube users search for videos on the fly and cast to Chromecast enabled speakers. SEARCH option entirely goes out of window with Sonos+YT music integration 

Hi,

I am using 2 sonos amps (the recent models) with a bunch of sonos architectural speakers.

The hardware is great, the sound is excellent... but. I can confirm after extensive testing that android streaming and sonos is not a very good idea.

Ok, it works…. for a while… and I can make a work again. But at home we have a mix of iphone’s and android devices. Airplay works in 100% in the cases ok, always. The problem are the android phones, after a while, of after using Airpay… it doesn’t work well any  more. 

Yes, the solution of re-authenticating spotify works, or rebooting the amps. That works, but, it remains extremely annoying. I am 100% sure this is not a network problem. It is a problem of not being 100% compatible with android. And certainly the mix of Apple & Android devices to control the amps. 

Sadly, I already extensively discussed this with Sonos support … but they always put the blame somewhere else. And if you can make it work again… there seems not to be any problem. No, not thru, the problem comes back, over and over again. No solution for the moment.

Coming on here to voice my complaint. I do understand that there is a whole licensing needed to make chromecast work on these things, but the least they could do, with them being the only company that makes whole home wifi streaming devices that sound great, without getting ruined like Bose did. With this, as an android user, am unable to use Sonos without needing the app...the same way airplay works I would like the same with chromecast. So many fanboys here saying how its not needed, or why do you need this on an expensive device….bluetooth is very inconvenient, and I would like to just set it to the side and forget about needing to do anything but press cast.
For all the people out there who are saying that you don’t need chromecast and should buy something else instead, we like the sound and convenience these provide over other companies who kill any usage from their devices over time, where sonos can still work. There is also the issue where, on iOS or Mac OSX, where you can, on any app just airplay, now think of that with android….no airplay so you can’t just cast to a device from any app….

Coming on here to voice my complaint. I do understand that there is a whole licensing needed to make chromecast work on these things, but the least they could do, with them being the only company that makes whole home wifi streaming devices that sound great, without getting ruined like Bose did. With this, as an android user, am unable to use Sonos without needing the app...the same way airplay works I would like the same with chromecast. So many fanboys here saying how its not needed, or why do you need this on an expensive device….bluetooth is very inconvenient, and I would like to just set it to the side and forget about needing to do anything but press cast.
For all the people out there who are saying that you don’t need chromecast and should buy something else instead, we like the sound and convenience these provide over other companies who kill any usage from their devices over time, where sonos can still work. There is also the issue where, on iOS or Mac OSX, where you can, on any app just airplay, now think of that with android….no airplay so you can’t just cast to a device from any app….

Another thing to add to this: With Sonos being as big as it is, and wanting more people to go to them, they should pay the fee and just put it on there. With as many things coming out as they are, imagine they added chromecast, allowing people to feel like they want to go to them and not another company. With chromecast being out of the question for so long, it makes me look around at another multi room solution that sounds as good and isn’t the stock google products, that it kind of, to me, kills Sonos as a option, causing them to lose the money they would have made from me buying their stuff and integrating it all around my house.

Just chiming in that lack of Chromecast support is the largest detractor for diving headfirst into Sonos. 

As simple as Airplay is on IOS, Chromecast is the same for Android. I like others am not looking for alternatives to Google Podcasts/Headspace etc. We want to be able to use the apps we enjoy with very native functionality within the OS.  

Casting is not some obscure technology and Sonos is not a niche product. If the beef between Google and Sonos is really that petty, then that's stupid for both of them as adding Chromecast capability would just draw more customers. 

Anyone that thinks Google doesn't want the competition is kidding themselves. Google (unlike Apple) does not constrain access the same way (this is why there are so many cast supported devices),and obviously with brands like Samsung, Sony etc they don't mind competition with their Pixel devices either.

On the Sonos side, people choose them for audio quality and seamless multiroom experience, enabling cast support doesn't change that. 

The WiiM Pro is now selling on Amazon US, $149.  It’s direct competition for the Sonos Port, includes Chromecast, AirPlay 2, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Alexa, Siri and Google voice control, all the major streaming providers, and a nicer app than that of Sonos, IMO.  Multiroom via AirPlay 2, Alexacast, Google and their own proprietary multiroom protocol.

They have plans to integrate the Squeeze protocol and Roon, as well.  All of these features make it the first truly viable Sonos competitor, IMO, not to mention that their tech is being used by MANY other manufacturers.

Just chiming in that lack of Chromecast support is the largest detractor for diving headfirst into Sonos. 

As simple as Airplay is on IOS, Chromecast is the same for Android. I like others am not looking for alternatives to Google Podcasts/Headspace etc. We want to be able to use the apps we enjoy with very native functionality within the OS.  

Casting is not some obscure technology and Sonos is not a niche product. If the beef between Google and Sonos is really that petty, then that's stupid for both of them as adding Chromecast capability would just draw more customers. 

To be clear Sonos does support casting directly from many streaming services.  I don’t think they look at it as obscure tech.  The issue between Google and Sonos is rather recent thing overall, and chromecast wasn’t supported before then.

Anyone that thinks Google doesn't want the competition is kidding themselves. Google (unlike Apple) does not constrain access the same way (this is why there are so many cast supported devices),and obviously with brands like Samsung, Sony etc they don't mind competition with their Pixel devices either.

Google pushed android to 3rd party devices long before they come up with their own phone.  I wouldn’t say they like competition so much as they don’t really have much option of pulling back android at this point.  That would not result in more Pixel sales, It would result in more iPhone sales and possible trigger a 3rd OS to emerge.

Also, Google does not want a single device to support Google Assistant and any other voice assistant.  Not exactly welcoming of competition.

On the Sonos side, people choose them for audio quality and seamless multiroom experience, enabling cast support doesn't change that. 

Again, Sonos does support casting for several services, just not chromecast.

The WiiM Pro is now selling on Amazon US, $149.  It’s direct competition for the Sonos Port, includes Chromecast, AirPlay 2, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Alexa, Siri and Google voice control, all the major streaming providers, and a nicer app than that of Sonos, IMO.  Multiroom via AirPlay 2, Alexacast, Google and their own proprietary multiroom protocol.

They have plans to integrate the Squeeze protocol and Roon, as well.  All of these features make it the first truly viable Sonos competitor, IMO, not to mention that their tech is being used by MANY other manufacturers.

I don’t think Sonos really has much to be concerned about.  I’m not doubting the functionality the WiiM Pro, but it certainly doesn’t have the marketing reach  of Sonos and other competitors, nor the track record for people to trust that it will be around for years to come.  As well,  the Port without any other products to build a whole home system, really is rather overpriced, IMO.    If your plan is to use sever amps/receivers connect to streaming boxes, then the Port is not the way to go.  This, or maybe just some echo dots, is a better way to go.  But if you want  powered wireless speakers, wireless home theatre setup built in, etc, then no...you can’t do that via WiiM.

I don’t think Sonos really has much to be concerned about.  I’m not doubting the functionality the WiiM Pro, but it certainly doesn’t have the marketing reach  of Sonos and other competitors, nor the track record for people to trust that it will be around for years to come.  As well,  the Port without any other products to build a whole home system, really is rather overpriced, IMO.    If your plan is to use sever amps/receivers connect to streaming boxes, then the Port is not the way to go.  This, or maybe just some echo dots, is a better way to go.  But if you want  powered wireless speakers, wireless home theatre setup built in, etc, then no...you can’t do that via WiiM.

WiiM’s parent company, LinkPlay, provides the wireless modules for dozens of brands, including Yamaha, JBL, Marshall, Audio Pro, Edifier.  They concentrated on the low end for years, but have now upped their game with much better-performing modules, and are starting to target Sonos’ territory.

The wireless version of the Edifier S1000, which uses the same LinkPlay module as the WiiM, is based on the same speakers that bested the Sonos Five in Consumer Reports ratings.  Edifier is an investor in LinkPlay. 

BTW, the WiiM Mini and new WiiM Pro already outsell any of Sonos’ products on Amazon. Come back in 2-3 years, I’m betting WiiM / LinkPlay will be formidable competition.  Sonos will no doubt be suing them next, lol.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Stumbled upon this Chrome browser extension which makes it very easy to cast from any website (YooToob, for example) to your Sonos endpoints.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cast-to-sonos/defbpbmenfaikcnhmamnghdlcmahjaib

Stumbled upon this Chrome browser extension which makes it very easy to cast from any website (YooToob, for example) to your Sonos endpoints.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cast-to-sonos/defbpbmenfaikcnhmamnghdlcmahjaib

Nice find! AirMusic seems decent as an Android app too, but ultimately just wish it all was native. 

Chromecast could be useful for allowing some PC sound on sonos. Currently I can watch a video (eg youtube or netflix) on my iPhone and have the sound airplay to a sonos speaker, but there doesnt appear to be a way to do it on a windows PC which is a bit unfortunate.

Chromecast could be useful for allowing some PC sound on sonos. Currently I can watch a video (eg youtube or netflix) on my iPhone and have the sound airplay to a sonos speaker, but there doesnt appear to be a way to do it on a windows PC which is a bit unfortunate.

I’ve just posted a way to do it from a PC three posts above this one.

Is there anyway to link the WiiM Pro to your existing Sonos setup? I want a way to chromecast audio to nest speakers and sonos speakers simultaneously.