Add Chromecast built-in Integration

• 26 December 2021
  • 95 replies

Userlevel 3

I live in Italy and here Android users are much more that the Android users that are in the USA…

Personally all my family have an Android device, like Google Pixels, and all the house have integration with Google Assistant and Google Home. We are a Google Family.

We bought a Sonos Move for have a portable speaker with a gorgeous sound, and I can confirm that it have, but we hear the lack of the Google Chromecast built-in integration.

In fact the Chromecast built-in feature is a great opportunity for Sonos, we think, because in this way Sonos Speakers can appear in Media controls of Google Home and so can be controlled by all the people that live in the house. Also Chromecast built-in have plenty of integration with some services that made things really easy.

So, we decide that for now Sonos for us it can be only the Sonos Move or the Sonos Roam that have also the Bluetooth, because we need it for limiting the lack of the Chromecast built-in functionality. But we appreciate that in the future these awesome speakers, that are probably the best in their category, will have the Chromecast built-in feature, so we can buy product that also came without Bluetooth.

Best regards,

Giovanni Galboni

95 replies

Hi. An understandable request, and well expressed, but the request has been made many times on here and Sonos haven't done this yet.

What do you want to do that you currently cannot do without Chromecast?

Userlevel 3

Hi. An understandable request, and well expressed, but the request has been made many times on here and Sonos haven't done this yet.

What do you want to do that you currently cannot do without Chromecast?

Things like, smart home control. In fact with Chromecast compatible devices when a device is casting content on all Android devices connect to the home wifi appear a notification for control the media of that device and also this is possible in the Google Home app.

Another thing is cast audio from Google Chrome browser, Google TV, Android device audio ecc…

And at the end the aggregation of speakers and TV that have Chromecast built-in, for have the same media in more rooms.

Some apps, in particular local app with a small percentage of users in the world, that support Google Cast but obviously doesn't support the Sonos Ecosystem. For do an example, the Gym app support Chromecast speakers for remote training, and if you have an iPhone obviously also Airplay, but for an Android user is impossible to connect that app to a Sonos speaker without Bluetooth.

Other features are a copy of functionality that can you can also do with the Sonos app, but some of these feature also can be more easy to reach with Chromecast built-in, in particular for an Android user like me. In fact Chromecast built-in for an Android user can be easy to use like Airplay for an Apple user. Also Chromecast built-in can be use from Apple devices, instead Airplay only from Apple devices, so it can be a good things for the two ecosystem, Google and Apple.

I have an OLD audio Chromecast - its the only way to really have Sonos work with google. I use a Optical connection to my sound bar, or a 3.5mm to a play five. Really there are not enough inputs either.  The Sonos app does not allow the same user experience as directly using an app like YouTube music -   just being able to cast directly to a Sonos speaker would be nice - and we used to be able to do that. Then Sonos changed - I don’t trust that new products won’t become “bricks” like the old products did. Shame on you Sonos. Go with Bose - Yes - some argue that there is minor differences in sound quality but what's the point of sound quality if you can't get your services, or devices to work with the speakers you own. Anyone want to buy some old Sonos products? I didn’t think so.  

I have an OLD audio Chromecast - its the only way to really have Sonos work with google. I use a Optical connection to my sound bar, or a 3.5mm to a play five. Really there are not enough inputs either.  The Sonos app does not allow the same user experience as directly using an app like YouTube music -   just being able to cast directly to a Sonos speaker would be nice - and we used to be able to do that. Then Sonos changed - I don’t trust that new products won’t become “bricks” like the old products did. Shame on you Sonos. Go with Bose - Yes - some argue that there is minor differences in sound quality but what's the point of sound quality if you can't get your services, or devices to work with the speakers you own. Anyone want to buy some old Sonos products? I didn’t think so.  

Bose?  The company that discontinued their entire line of smart speakers, then brought out a new line which is completely incompatible with the previous lineup which they were selling right up to the day they discontinued it?  That's the company you wish to choose because Sonos stopped full updates to units that were over a decade old and hadn't been sold in 5 years?  Units which are not "bricks" at all, in fact they continue to work exactly as they did the day Sonos stopped full updates.

Userlevel 1

Don't go with Bose or Sonos. Just get Google cast supported speakers. Until Sonos adds the ability to cast my Sonos is an annoying box that takes up shelf space while the much worse sounding Google home speaker sits literally on top of it gets used daily because it's easy to just start playing music to it half way through a song.

I have dissuaded 25+ people from buying Sonos because it does not play nice with their existing Google speakers. 

Every time I want to use Sonos it's open a different app and try to use it's different UI and that's it everything works. Today It signed me out of YouTube music and just gives me a 400 error. 

Great sound. Terrible software. Expensive POS

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is the most glaring omission from Sonos, I have mentioned it before here that Android users are basically second class citizens for them, but many diehard fans here will always find ways to explain why it's not important.

For what is worth, Bose is updating their Soundbars to support Chromecast protocol and Bose is in fact quite comparable in sound quality, so maybe it's time for us, Android users, to seriously considering switching.

This is the most glaring omission from Sonos, I have mentioned it before here that Android users are basically second class citizens for them, but many diehard fans here will always find ways to explain why it's not important.

Never felt like a second class citizen using my android.  Admittedly, that could be because I’m not a huge fan of Google.  I have their phone product, yes, and I do use youtube TV and and an Nvidia Shield, but I generally avoid Google whenever possible.  I avoid Apple as well, which is the main reason I’m using an android.

Anyway, the point being that it could very well be a matter of perspective more so than functionality.  I started off creating my whole home system with Sonos.  I didn’t buy Google (or  Amazon, Apple) speakers and then later try to integrate Sonos into those systems.  I think of the Sonos speakers more as speakers that I can control with my phone, not as casting destinations to send audio from my phone.

I’ve never needed to use chromecast (or Airplay if I had iPhone) as a means of integrating two different audio systems.  I’ve never need it for smart home control or automation.  I’ve occasionally using casting from Amazon music or Pandora to transfer what I was playing on my phone to Sonos, or just to use the native music app search functionality.  I’ve occasionally started a youtube video and casted it over to Shield (is that chromecast?)

Maybe I’m missing some amazing chromecast feature that I’m unaware of, but it’s never been something I’ve ever felt was missing.  As I said though, I can see it where it would be more useful  for someone already heavily invested in a Google ecosystem.

For what is worth, Bose is updating their Soundbars to support Chromecast protocol and Bose is in fact quite comparable in sound quality, so maybe it's time for us, Android users, to seriously considering switching.

Soundbars seem like they would need chromecast the least.  I mean, you can cast audio and video to the streaming box and TV, rather than just audio to the soundbar.  Is the problem that you’ll have to turn on the TV when you’re only trying to cast audio?

When will people get that they have bought into the Google ecosystem?   If they now want Sonos they either have to switch ecosystems or live with the consequences of the bad decision to buy Google speakers in the first place.

When will people get that they have bought into the Google ecosystem?   If they now want Sonos they either have to switch ecosystems or live with the consequences of the bad decision to buy Google speakers in the first place.

I think a lot of people don’t really think of Sonos as an ecosystem, just speakers.  And since of other ‘just speakers’ have chromecast, they see it as a fault of Sonos.  Along the same lines, they see Sonos having bought into the Apple ecosystem with the inclusion of Airplay.  Therefore, Sonos favors Apple over Google.

However, I think it looks a little different when you factor in that Sonos has been around before Apple or Google had their music systems.  Sonos predates the iphone actually.  You can also look at Amazon music system, and Sonos speakers don’t play in sync with Amazon speakers either (also commonly blamed on Sonos).  So it’s not that Google is the exception that Sonos doesn’t play in sync with It’s that Apple is the exception that Sonos does play in sync with.

And why would that be?  It could be that Apple needed other speaker brands to play into their system way more than Google or Amazon did, since they really didn’t have an established presence with their own speakers. That could mean cheaper licensing, or making the tech easier to development and maintain...I have no idea.  Or that Apple didn’t really mind Sonos have their own separate ecosystem, while Google and Amazon did.  I mean, Google won’t allow speakers to a have their voice assistant and someone else at the same time, but Amazon doesn’t care.

I get the sentiment though. It would be great place if all the different tech and companies worked with each other as seamlessly as possible, there were no walled gardens, and companies didn’t have to worry about things like licensing fees, market share, or making a profit.

I think a lot of people don’t really think of Sonos as an ecosystem, just speakers.  And since of other ‘just speakers’ have chromecast, they see it as a fault of Sonos. 

It’s not just other speakers, though… Even my latest AV receiver comes with Chromecast and Bluetooth built in, as I’d expect any halfway decent piece of modern kit to have these days - and it cost considerably less than a Five.

Sonos are not just speakers, they’re expensive speakers and I suspect that some people feel that - for the amount of money that they cost - they should have flexible input methods built in.

Badge

I've seen this conversation come up again and again. Unfortunately, I think this forum often misses the point:

Sonos does not want to sell you speakers. They want to sell you an ecosystem. Hell, they're even moving towards expanding that ecosystem into a full media OS in the near future. They are committed to this focus. For those disappointed in this focus, you will continue to be disappointed with Sonos. Do not invest in Sonos hoping this will change. It won't.

Why? Why does Sonos allow Airplay and not Chromecast (and yes it is Sonos making this decision)?

Simple. Apple only sells expensive hardware. There is no chance of wireless Apple speakers undercutting Sonos.

Chromecast, alternatively, is available in nearly every upcoming active speaker nowadays. Speakers with better sound than Sonos have Chromecast at exorbitant prices, which is fine. Chromecast, however, is also available in very affordable speakers that severely undercut Sonos. This provides a wireless multi-room solution to the consumer at a far lower price of entry than Sonos.

This latter situation is untenable for Sonos. They used to be the only game in town for wireless multi-room. Now that the space is crowded, they have to compete. Sonos has a diverse lineup and a fantastic sound. They can easily compete in the high end. On the low, however, they simply can't. More importantly they never will as they are a relatively small company, and some of these cheap Chromecast speakers are loss leaders for billion dollar companies.

So how does Sonos respond? They wall off their garden. They leverage their first mover advantage. They provide incentives for competitors to stay out of the low end of the market, which provides Sonos' original/strongest incentive (multi-room) at a fraction of the price. Maybe they focus their early legal battles against the companies bleeding these low end customers, customers that a decade ago would have been forced to break out their checkbook and invest in Sonos.

If you're comfortable in the Sonos ecosystem, you're lucky. They make a great product.

If you're not, or are more optimistic about Google Home than Sonos long-term, buy anything else.

Sonos doesn't sell speakers..

If they did, I'd buy more of them.

Might want to have a look at WiiM.  Their little device has created quite a stir already for its big feature set at a little price.  They don’t currently support Chromecast, but have said they will be producing a second device that does Chromecast.  Their infrastructure is similar to that of Sonos, and they offer unlimited lifetime support, something most of Sonos’ competitors don’t offer, certainly not at this price point.

https://wiimhome.com/Overview.html

Badge

Might want to have a look at WiiM.  Their little device has created quite a stir already for its big feature set at a little price.  They don’t currently support Chromecast, but have said they will be producing a second device that does Chromecast.  Their infrastructure is similar to that of Sonos, and they offer unlimited lifetime support, something most of Sonos’ competitors don’t offer, certainly not at this price point.

https://wiimhome.com/Overview.html

Stuff like this is always appreciated.

Unfortunately, it's exactly why Sonos have removed every audio input possible without eliminating their use for television. Close that garden and profit while you can.

To be fair, it's also why Google discontinued its original Chromecast audio. Nobody will pay for a license when a dongle is so affordable.

Speakers are nothing more than ecosystem bait nowadays, and I don't think you need a business degree to know which players will eventually be left standing..

Actually, Sonos speakers can be used with any DLNA/UPnP infrastructure.  I no longer use the Sonos app, greatly prefer LMS with the Material Skin, which offers many advantages.  My Sonos Play:1s and Ones integrate just fine into the LMS system - minus the perfect multiroom sync, which I’ve never really cared about.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

LMS can also be used to integrate other speakers such as chromecast and airplay.  My system has a mix of Sonos, Airplay, Chromecast and squeezebox radios.  It's even possible with some effort to include Echo devices. 

Badge

Half measures and work arounds.

This topic isn't brought up a dozen times a year, because people are content to find ways to simulate (poorly) a utility they've come to expect, or more importantly may prefer.

The fact a Sonos user could have all the functionality they desire if, and only if, they stay within a Sonos approved ecosystem is exactly my point.

Sonos don't sell speakers.

At least not without strings..

Sonos have removed every audio input possible without eliminating their use for television.

Not exactly. Line-In is available on Port, Amp, Five, and all their antecedents. The system can be used to distribute sources of any flavour, including a Chromecast Audio.

Plus of course any content can be streamed from an iDevice over AirPlay. 

Do you actually possess any Sonos gear?

This topic isn't brought up a dozen times a year, because people are content to find ways to simulate (poorly) a utility they've come to expect, or more importantly may prefer.

The fact a Sonos user could have all the functionality they desire if, and only if, they stay within a Sonos approved ecosystem is exactly my point.

Please don't assume to speak for me or any other "people" beside yourself.  I do not, nor have I ever expected and/or preferred Chromecast functionality, nor do I avoid the subject because I've found workarounds.

Badge

Sonos have removed every audio input possible without eliminating their use for television.

Not exactly. Line-In is available on Port, Amp, Five, and all their antecedents. The system can be used to distribute sources of any flavour, including a Chromecast Audio.

Plus of course any content can be streamed from an iDevice over AirPlay. 

Do you actually possess any Sonos gear?

I own a fair bit actually. Including more than one of the products you listed. 

These are older products, however, and I think it's fair to say their successors will not have any such feature.

And that's fine. Having line-in present on only a portion of the product line does not allow for a full solution to use Sonos speakers within another ecosystem anyway. Half measures and work arounds.

If you're comfortable in the Sonos ecosystem, they make a great product.

My only point is that if you're not, don't hold your breath. Sonos clearly sees themselves more as a competitor to multi-room ecosystems than they do audio companies.

Badge

Please don't assume to speak for me or any other "people" beside yourself.  I do not, nor have I ever expected and/or preferred Chromecast functionality, nor do I avoid the subject because I've found workarounds.

It doesn't appear you've read the entirety of my posts. If you have, you certainly missed the point.

Either way, this is a comically personal response. Suffice it to say, I am not as emotionally invested in audio companies as you.

I will, however, reiterate for your benefit: 

If you're comfortable in the Sonos ecosystem, they make great products.

Do not, however, make the mistake of thinking you are purchasing only a speaker. You are purchasing a piece of the Sonos ecosystem, and this ecosystem is where Sonos have chosen to focus their efforts as a company.

Sonos is competing more with Google Home than it is Bang & Olufsen.

No need to get bent out of shape about it. Let's just stop pretending like Bluetooth and Chromecast support is just around the corner and let people make an educated decision that makes sense for them.

On a personal note: I'm sure you'll have a blast asking the Sonos assistant to open Netflix in 2024. I sincerely hope it continues to work for you (as the main character).

Badge

It doesn't appear you've read the entirety of my posts. If you have, you certainly missed the point.

Either way, this is a comically personal response. Suffice it to say, I am not as emotionally invested in audio companies as you.

I will, however, reiterate for your benefit: 

If you're comfortable in the Sonos ecosystem, they make great products.

Do not, however, make the mistake of thinking you are purchasing only a speaker. You are purchasing a piece of the Sonos ecosystem, and this ecosystem is where Sonos have chosen to focus their efforts as a company.

Sonos is competing more with Google Home than it is Bang & Olufsen.

No need to get bent out of shape about it. Let's just stop pretending like Bluetooth and Chromecast support is just around the corner and let people make an educated decision that makes sense for them.

On a personal note: I'm sure you'll have a blast asking the Sonos assistant to open Netflix in 2024. I sincerely hope it continues to work for you (as the main character).

Why would a person who has decided Sonos is not for everybody be posting long drama laden missives on a Sonos site lamenting the fact that Sonos is not for everybody?

Badge

Why would a person who has decided Sonos is not for everybody be posting long drama laden missives on a Sonos site lamenting the fact that Sonos is not for everybody?

Why would a person say X, when they have already decided X? Sounds consistent to me..

No drama though. I am not the OP. (Would you consider your dismissal of OP's issues to be speaking for him?) I'm simply weighing in on a post I have seen CONSTANTLY posted for years now.

I think the community's usual response is lacking, as I already explained (I understand it was too long for you).

We shouldn't be telling people they can do all the same things without Chromecast, or Bluetooth, or WISA, or Audio Pro, or Q-Symphony, or any other protocol. There are some things that cannot be done. Whether they matter to you or not is not the issue. They may matter to others, and they deserve the information to make that decision for themselves.

These features are also, as I have already made clear, not coming. So telling people to hold on or having representatives inform people they've forwarded their idea to the team in any hopeful capacity is absurd, as if they had never before thought of adding Chromecast. It's nothing more than a strategy to get people to invest in the Sonos ecosystem and keep them there.

Now I'm really going to blow your mind:

I'm not a big Chromecast guy.

But if it's important to you, if you want to control multi-room speakers from Google Home or a hub, don't buy Sonos. They aren't speakers to supplement your ecosystem. They're a competing ecosystem. A closed-wall garden around multi-room in an era increasingly aware of wireless functionality.

But if that's you, don't worry either. Google could buy Sonos a thousand times over if they ever feel the need. There will be plenty of very capable Chromecast speakers going forward.

As I said before, basically every active speaker at this point, outside of Sonos, will have Chromecast (usually alongside multiple other protocols).

Sonos has the first-mover advantage and a comprehensive line. They're trying their best to leverage this as long as they can.

If the Sonos ecosystem works for you, you won't be disappointed in the sound.

If not, like in the case of OP, look elsewhere..

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure why you would absolutely need Chromecast when Spotify has Spotify Connect and other streaming services have comparable ways of streaming to Sonos. Even I, an Apple user, mostly stream music using the Sonos app.

Badge

Not sure why you would absolutely need Chromecast when Spotify has Spotify Connect and other streaming services have comparable ways of streaming to Sonos. Even I, an Apple user, mostly stream music using the Sonos app.

I have two examples in my last post alone.

Some people need Chromecast for cohesion. Or maybe they simply prefer that UI. It's not for us to tell people what they want or to tell people what they want is not valid. It's toxic behavior.

I don't use Chromecast, but I completely understand when Google Home users buy something else. In fact, I encourage it.

There is no need for this forum to carry water for Sonos. As long as Sonos chooses not to target these users, their forum should follow their lead.