A More "Music-Optimized" Sonos Voice Assistant

• 6 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Back in 2019, Sonos purchased Snips, a voice platform, with the intention of making “the voice experience on Sonos even better”. Reflecting on my own experiences lately using both Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, I really hope Sonos is close to launching their own voice assistant soon that can overcome many of the shortcomings of these two voice assistants, especially in terms of playing music.

In particular, I’d like to see a voice assistant that can:

• Play lossless / Hi-Res / HiFi music from a music service
  • Differentiate between your personal playlists and public music platform playlists
  • Play music from your own local music library

What would you like to see it do, based upon the issues and frustrations you’re encountering in trying to play music with your voice assistant of choice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I would like ‘snips’ to be able to group/ungroup Sonos Rooms and change individual, or grouped, room volume ..and also able to adjust a room’s treble/bass/balance levels with a +/- value.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Set an alarm.   Voice is perfect for that -- lying in bed and need to set alarm for the next morning.  Or when you wake up, have it turn off, etc.  

“Hey Sonos, set alarm in the bedroom for 7 AM”

Or when you wake up, have it turn off, etc. 

Try ‘Hey Sonos, stop’. Works also with Alexa.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Or when you wake up, have it turn off, etc. 

Try ‘Hey Sonos, stop’. Works also with Alexa.

Yeah, I use Alexa already for alarms, but it would be nice to use it via Hey Sonos, and have the Sonos alarm features instead of the Alexa features.  

I don’t use the Alexa alarms feature, I meant Sonos alarms. Once the alarm goes off, it’s ordinary music playback that can be controlled by voice.

I would love to use voice control to play from my local/NAS library. When, oh when, will we get this functionality?