Answered

2 Play 5 connected to TV, will it work?

• 16 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I want to use 2 Play 5s and create a stereo pair for my TV however I don't currently own a smart tv.

1. Can this be done using the Play 5 line in option?

2. If not do I need a Smart/Wifi connected TV and or playbar to do this?

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 16 October 2019, 17:59

I’m not sure if you could use a Headphone outlet from TV (if it has one) to the Line-in on the Play:5? But there may be a delay so you’d have lip sync issues. 

The Beam/Playbar/Playbase products are the conventional Sonos offerings for TV. The TV doesn’t need to be Smart but will need, depending on product chosen, HDMI-ARC or optical outputs. 

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not sure if you could use a Headphone outlet from TV (if it has one) to the Line-in on the Play:5? But there may be a delay so you’d have lip sync issues. 

The Beam/Playbar/Playbase products are the conventional Sonos offerings for TV. The TV doesn’t need to be Smart but will need, depending on product chosen, HDMI-ARC or optical outputs. 

Badge +2

I have 2 Play 5’s as a stereo pair fed from the headphone socket of my 2017 LG oled tv. Even though the TV has lip synch adjust in both directions I don’t need to use it, just make sure the Sonos audio is not set to compressed. I use Trueplay to get rid of room resonances and set the Sonos Loudness to ON to get a very nice sound for both tv and music at normal volumes. 

Other family members have a similar setup with same and other tv makes and don’t have lip synch problems either.

I once (in 2 years) had a problem with the right speaker not getting the signal from the left (tv mode), fixed by re-booting the router.