Question

Yamaha hs7 connection to Sonos

• 20 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I have two Yamaha hs7 that i would like to use with My Sonos system. I own a Beam and a few sonos one. 

Witch product can i use to be able to use them for music and for home theatre as background speaker.

can i use sonos Zp120 or zp90? 

if not what are i best option.

Thank you in advance.

Ed

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Edmiami.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to use your Yamaha Hs7 to generate audio for either listening to music or surround sound audio for your Sonos Home theater system. Let me help you out.

Allow me first to share with you the Sonos S2 compatibility guide to better understand what Sonos devices work with S1 only, S2 only, or can work with either the S1 or S2 Sonos App. The Sonos ZP120 or ZP 90 are Sonos Legacy products that work only with the Sonos S1 app. On the other hand, Your Sonos Beam and Sonos ones are Sonos Modern products that can work with either the S1 or S2 products. However, if they are already running on the Sonos S2 app, it would not be wise to choose the Zp120 or ZP90 as they are Sonos S1 app only compatible devices. They will not work together with Sonos devices already working on the Sonos S2 App. I would like to recommend the Sonos Amp. Choosing the Sonos Amp would allow all your products to work with the Sonos S2 app and be able to take advantage of the features only available with the Sonos S2 app such as the Sonos Radio HD which was just released last week, be up-to-date with the latest features available and released by Sonos, be up-to-date with the latest features available and released by our music service partners.

Currently, once a Sonos Amp is added to a home theater speaker as surrounds, whatever the main Sonos home theater speaker is playing (in your case the Sonos Beam), the Sonos Amp would be part of the audio system. However, if in any situation where you wanted to play music on the Sonos Amp while it is added as surrounds and at the same time watch TV, the only way for it to work is to have a separate surround audio for your Sonos home theater speaker like for example a Sonos One Sl, The set up where you can listen to music and at the same time watch TV is by going to the TV menu settings and then changing audio out from external speaker or audio system to TV speakers as this is a TV setting option and not within Sonos since if you listen to music while watching TV and the TV menu is not changed, there might be no audio coming out of the TV speakers since it is still set to external audio. The only way to play music independently on the Sonos Amp added as surrounds would be to remove the Sonos Amp as surrounds and listen to music and once you want4ed to switch back into watching a movie, you would need to add the Sonos Amp back as surrounds.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have any further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,