Question

Work Around for Comcast DVR With No Optical Output

• 15 October 2019
  • 7 replies

I’ve got a Sonos Connect connected to a Russound system with wired speakers throughout a house.  System works great with music.  I’d like to be able to play audio from my TV through the wired speakers.  I’m told this would be possible by connecting an opitcal audio cable from the cable box to the Sonos Connect and then selecting the line-in function on the Russound.  Unfortunately, Comcast’s XG1V4 DVR cable box does not have an optical output jack. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might be able to play TV audio in my existing system? 

Thanks,

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

You were told in error - the Connect doesn't have an digital input, just optical and coax digital outputs. It does have analog inputs though, so if you can run RCA cables from the cable box or TV it will work.  There will be a 70ms delay though because the info has to be digitized. This may or may not bother you. Some people on this forum are totally happy running TV through their Connect, some grasp their pearls in dismay when it's even discussed here. Your mileage may vary.  

Duplicate post….airforceteacher beat me ;)

That DVR doesn’t appear to have any audio out at all, so an HDMI audio extractor (to RCA) would be required unless a feed can be taken from the TV.

Thank you!

The delay is a concern, but I’d need to see/hear it to determine whether it is noticeable.

Could I just take the feed directly from the TV? I was told that if i did that, I could only play sound through the external Russound speakers OR the TV and not have them both on at the same time. Is that true?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Could I just take the feed directly from the TV? I was told that if i did that, I could only play sound through the external Russound speakers OR the TV and not have them both on at the same time. Is that true?

that depends on the TV - only way to know is to test it. I've had TVs that play the speakers and the output, and TVs that silence the TV speakers when the aux out is used. 

Plugging into a headphone outlet on the TV would silence its internal speakers. A line-level RCA out (if there is one) might or might not silence the speakers. An optical out definitely wouldn’t, though you’d then need a cheap DAC to put between the TV and the Connect. 

By using an HDMI audio extractor in front of the TV you could quite possibly neutralise the inbuilt Sonos delay, since that audio is likely to be ahead of the TV picture. And there’d also be no danger of the TV speakers being disabled either.

Would a Sonos Connect:Amp solve my problem?