Wiring help

Userlevel 2
I am brand new to this sonos system and had a quick question. Can I wire speakers into the ceiling going to a connect amp and also wire in a volume control in the wall? The volume control in the wall will work as well as the volume control on the app right?

Thanks!

Josh

11 replies

Welcome to the forum.

You can use a wall-mount control in addition to the app's control (in fact we recommend exactly that where a Connect:Amp feeds pairs of speakers in different rooms, for example).

The thing to be aware of is that cascaded volume controls can sometimes produce undesired effects. It's easy for 'volume control wars' to happen, with the resulting occasional very loud result. As long as you know that going in, or only use the wall control for quick but temporary adjustments, that issue shouldn't be a concern.
Userlevel 2
I am trying to figure out the best way to set this all up and I am confused. I am going to wire 2 speakers into my kitchen, 2 into my dining room, and 2 into my bedroom, 1 in the hall way, and 1 in the bathroom. I am getting the mono price 8 inches. How many Connect Amps do I need or where do I need to wire these too?

Thanks again!
With proper impedance matching, you could run all of those from one Connect:Amp, but the same thing would play everywhere (and likely not very loudly). You should consider where you're likely to need separate sources. For example, you might decide the kitchen and dining room can go together, but you might not want the bedroom in with those. Perhaps bed, hall and bath make a good combo. Of course, you can start with one Connect:Amp and add others as budget permits. Sonos is pretty flexible in that regard.

Another item to look at: the individual speakers in the hall and bathroom. The Connect:Amp is a stereo-only unit, so if you were to put, say, the hall on the left channel and the bath on the right, you'd have some odd playback where program material is in the other channel only. Single-point stereo speakers -- a single speaker containing drivers for both channels so nothing's missing -- are preferred in that situation.
Userlevel 2
What exactly is the difference between the connect amp and the regular connect?

Here is what I think I am going to do:

1 connect amp to power the Kitchen and Dining room (these rooms will always play the same music anyways)

1 connect amp to power the Hallway speaker, bathroom speaker, and 2 bed room speakers. As these will all be playing the same music as well.

The only thing I do not like is, at night time I would only want the speakers in my bedroom to be playing music, not the hallway. If I wire in a volume control in the hallway, can I use that to just turn down the hallway and bathroom speakers so I can still have the bedroom speakers going?

Thanks so much again!!!
What exactly is the difference between the connect amp and the regular connect?
CONNECT has no amplification, and includes digital outputs.

CONNECT:AMP has built-in amplifiers.

The naming is supposed to be indicative. 😉
Userlevel 2
Haha, yes I know ;)

I guess I should have stated, is the extra $150 worth it, does it make that much of a sound improvement?
I guess I should have stated, is the extra $150 worth it, does it make that much of a sound improvement?
An unanswerable question. It depends what amplification exists downstream of the CONNECT.
Userlevel 2
I am a total newb with audio and I think I have the thoughts of what I can do all wrong.

Currently in my house I have:

Sonos Play bard
Sonos Sub
2 Play 1's all in my living room.

I control all of these through my Samsung Note Tablet.

What my goal was... and I guess I am completely wrong possibly?

Wire in these 8 speakers, run them into 2 connect:amps, wire in 4 volume controls and then voila, be done and be able to access those speakers through my tablet.

Am I missing equipment or just missing a brain ;)

Thanks again!
jkearney,

NoBoB's plan is the best approach. Use two CONNECT:AMP's, four volume controls, and single point stereo speakers in the hall and bath. You will be able to play different music in the bedroom and kitchen/dining areas.
Userlevel 2
I am in need of assistance!

I just remodeled house and I wired speakers into the ceiling all going to a central location.

I put 4 speakers in living room, 2 speakers in dining room, 2 speakers in kitchen and 2 speakers in the master bed room. I still need to purchase a single point speaker for bathroom and single point speaker for hallway from bathroom to master bedroom.

All of the above speakers are: (except hallway/bathroom)

Impedance: 8 Ohms
Frequency Response: 42 Hz - 20,000 Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 80 Watts Nominal, 160 Maximum
Woofer: 8" Kevlar Woven Cone Woofer w/ 30oz Magnet and rubber surrounds.
Tweeter: 1" Pivoting Cat-Eye Silk Dome with Ferrofluid
Sensitivity: 89 +/- 2db (1.0M/2.83V)

My original plan was I was going to have 12 speakers total. I was going to buy 3 Sonos Connect:AMPS.

Zone 1 - 4 large 8" speakers in the living room.

Zone 2 - 2 large 8" speakers in dining room paired with the (2) 6 1/2" speakers in kitchen.

Zone 3 - 2 large 8" speakers in bedroom paired with (1) 6 1/2" in hallway and (1) 6 1/2" in bathroom.

Is a Connect AMP capable of what I am trying to do here?

All of the 8" speakers are already wired in to the central location, I only have 4 speakers not actually installed, but the wire is already ran to the spot they are going. That is the kitchen, hallway, and bathroom because the 8" won't fit and I need to go with 6 1/2" speakers.

PLEASE HELP!
jkearney,

Note that I moved your last post to this thread because it is the same issue.

Each CONNECT:AMP will safely drive two pairs of 8-Ohm speakers.

Zone 3 is a problem because a single point stereo speaker counts as a pair. As far as amplifier loading is concerned, you would be driving three pairs of speakers.

I recommend installing an in-wall volume control for each pair of speakers when multiple pairs are connected to an amplifier. Otherwise, one pair will always be too loud relative to the others. If you use "impedance matching" controls for each pair of speakers, you can drive more than two pairs of speakers with an amplifier.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings