Question

Wireless setup loop

I'm trying to setup a Sonos Play1 that was an open box return from Amazon. I've done a factory reset and I've verified that my Android phone is connected to the same network as the Sonos Play 1. When try to set up the wireless on my Android, I get to the Network name and it says to enter the name of the network or choose from the list of available networks. There are NO available networks in spite that of that fact that 3 or 4 should show up. So I type in the name of my wireless SSID and click on "use this network" and it goes back to the previous "wireless setup" screen and it's in a loop that I can't get out. It's as if the Sonos can't detect wireless networks. Perhaps the wireless is faulty. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would hook the speaker via Ethernet to your router. Get it up and running wires that way it gets all current updates. Then go to settings... advanced... WiFi setup.
Thank you for your reply I have done that and it still won't show up any wireless networks or allow me to connect to my network. I've even tried using it on the ethernet cable in boost mode but it won't let me add music services and says there's a problem connecting to the music service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When you hook it to router does it come up on controller and work.
I suspect I have a defective speaker. It was an open box return and have been previously registered to another user and I suspect that was probably why it was returned to begin with. I have found that Amazon doesn't really test these warehouse deals systems. I think they just ship them back out and let the users test them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hmmm. Let me think. Have you rebooted your router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If it comes up when you have hooked via Ethernet. Not letting you add a music service wouldn’t normally be a hardware issue. Do you have some kind of special firewall running at your home.
I appreciate your help. I don't any special firewalls and have never had any connections problems with other devices. I'm a computer technician and I was trying to set this Sonos up in my computer repair shop. I'm convinced it has issues and Amazon's tech support agreed so I'm returning this Sonos to Amazon.

I purchased it because I was curious what all the hype was about. While I haven't been able to test it, I don't really see much advantage in owning a Sonos verses an Amazon Echo, which I already own or a Amazon Dot with a good quality bluetooth speaker which I also already own. So, at this point, I'm not sure if I will be replacing it. I had hoped it would also be good for notifications from my Samsung Smartthings setup but I've read that is problematic. So unless I see some advantage, I don't think I'll be getting another one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I use my sonos system every day for notification from my artthings. It works very well. Smartthjngs broke text to speech engine about a year ago but it was fixed and mine has been working reliably since. It gives me morning announcements. It tells me when alarm has been armed or disarmed etc.
I am having the exact same problem. I have 4 separate Sonos units that were working fine. I just upgraded my router and was running into an error that my "Sonos Controller was not on the same wireless network". So I was forced to wire in my Play One to connect it. Once wired it came up fine on the app and asked me to update. Upon updating I tried to setup the wireless connection and had the same experienced described above. Even disabling my 5Ghz network to ensure my phone is connected to 2.4 Ghz changes nothing, I have also tried different phones as well. Can Sonos please weigh in? Is this a bug in the new version?
Where is the app that you're trying to update? I had trouble once on my phone, and it couldn't update from within the app. What I did was delete the app, and then went to download a fresh version from the app store. That one ran fine, and I was then able to update the speakers with the appropriate data as well.
Thank you for your suggestion, I deleted the Sonos controller app and reinstalled from the app store...same experience. II wire in one of my Play1 units, launch the app, select settings>advanced settings>wireless setup and see no wireless available, when I type in my SSID and click next it takes me to previous screen.
FIXED: I was able to solve the issue by disabling "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" For anyone using Unifi products this could be your issue as well. Once disabled I had no issues with setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yep that would 100% do it
I'm having the same problem and don't know know to disable the "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data." Any guidance would be appreciated!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What model router?
Chris wrote:

What model router?

It's a Netgear Genie WNR2000v5
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes that router supposedly in the router settings has a chexk box for wireless isolation. You need to find that and uncheck it.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)