Wireless network performance

• 22 December 2008
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
I am new and not an owner of Sonos.. I am interested in buying a Sonos system. The key reason is that I want to connect the line in to a the sound card of a home PC and have the BBC Radio Listen Again capability around the house.

I am a nervous buyer and so decided to visit Best Buy and "test" out how it all works.

I took my iPod to simulate a line in device and was able to play to all three of the zones they had setup.. NICE.. I like this....

Then on inspecting the conifg in Best Buy I can see the three zoneplayers are networked together with cable. I think... hmm ok.. I am going to be using them wirelessly so I best disconnect the wired LAN to see how they perform wirelessly.

I pulled out the LAN cables and was impressed how they found each other and re-networked themselves. Started the music again and found the music would play, however the music would cut in and out. The amount of cutting in and out made me decide against the purchase.....

So my question to the people who know more than me on this.. were my test results a "feature" of the setup BestBuy have or is this what to expect?

6 replies

stuarth536,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

The SONOS wireless is first rate and in many respects, the best that you'll find, however, there are physical limits.

From your description, I assume that you unplugged the ZonePlayers from each other, but one of them remained connected to the network. If you pulled all of the network cables, then there was another SONOS unit that you did not notice and it may have been at the edge of the wireless operating range. At least one SONOS unit must have a network connection.

You embarked on this disconnect with the permission or encouragement of the store staff -- didn't you?

I suggest that there are a massive number of wireless devices active in that store and they are simply overwhelming each other. Changing the SONOS RF channel could improve the situation.

My suggestion to the Best Buy staff at that store would be to check the demo ahead of time -- or risk the little embarrassment that we are discussing.
I concur with Buzz. I live in a townhouse with at least 6 other wireless networks withing 100 feet, and my Sonos is flawless. The demo in a Best Buy is really not the best way to judge. First, although setup is the easiest of any I've ever experienced (more like an appliance than electronincs), I would not trust Best Buy to do it. Second, the wireless interference in a retail store must be off the charts.
Userlevel 2
there were 3 zoneplayers. I was using line in on zone 1 and playing on zone 3. I disconnected the lan cable from the zone 3 zoneplayer.

As for best buy... did i have their permission?... sort of... that is worthy of another thread. I made three visits to two different bestbuys.

One of them couldn't get the sonos to play anything... the second could get theirs to work.. but had no music to play on it and couldn't access internet radio at all. Then on top of that the people in the AV section demo'ing Sonos were clueless about it. They did more damage to my view of sonos as they couldn't work it at all. A really bad sales channel!

How do I get a good demo to be sure I am going to get good performance?

How do I get a good demo to be sure I am going to get good performance?

Order one.

There's a 30 day no-quibble return policy. You really can't get a better demo than having it on your own home.

In the highly unlikely event it doesn't work out for you, pack it up and send it back within the 30 days.

Cheers,

Keith
there were 3 zoneplayers. I was using line in on zone 1 and playing on zone 3. I disconnected the lan cable from the zone 3 zoneplayer.

If the Line-In encoding was set for "uncompressed", it required maximum bandwidth -- probably a worst case test.

In very difficult situations where WiFi does not work well, I'll plug the computers into the SONOS network to solve the WiFi issue.
Userlevel 2
If the Line-In encoding was set for "uncompressed", it required maximum bandwidth -- probably a worst case test.

In very difficult situations where WiFi does not work well, I'll plug the computers into the SONOS network to solve the WiFi issue.

my need for sonos.. is to enable me to play BBC Radio 4 programs around the house... Radio 4 is not available in the US as an internet radio station.. so I need to play it from the PC from the sound card to the line in on one of the zoneplayers.

does the plugging in idea work in this case?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings