Answered

Wired or Wireless for 5.1 Sets

• 10 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi, I am moving house and have decided to outfit the new place with Sonos speakers.

Living Room: Router/Switch, Playbar, Sub, 2xOne
Room 1: Playbar, Sub, 2xOne
Room 2: 2xOne
And 4 more Sonos Ones scattered throughout the house.

I have the choice to make everything wired, meaning from the Router/Switch, a wired route to every single device listed above. Was wondering if this is advisable, or if connecting to just one device (e.g. the Playbar) is sufficient for each area? Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 March 2019, 20:41

Either one would work....with the caveat of the router involved. Some have issues with the Spanning Tree Protocol, which can cause network storms. But that's a very, very small chance, in the grand scheme of things.

Wiring is great, it avoids things like wifi interference, and if you're properly set up, gives more opportunity for other things beyond Sonos to connect.

On the other hand, Sonos was actually designed to be a wireless system from the get go, so if you wire just one device and run off of SonosNet, rather than your own wifi, you're not paying the bandwidth penalty on your wifi, just on your router.

When I first bought in to Sonos, a BRIDGE was required. I eventually replaced it with a BOOST, but have been running 17 or so speakers on my BOOST without never feeling the particular need to wire them. However, I would always prefer to run my Sonos on the SonosNet connection, and not use my normal wifi bandwidth for them, despite the rather small amount of bandwidth they would take. If there's another option, why would you bother? To me, connecting it to my wifi is a marketing thing, it's much better to run on SonosNet.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Either one would work....with the caveat of the router involved. Some have issues with the Spanning Tree Protocol, which can cause network storms. But that's a very, very small chance, in the grand scheme of things.

Wiring is great, it avoids things like wifi interference, and if you're properly set up, gives more opportunity for other things beyond Sonos to connect.

On the other hand, Sonos was actually designed to be a wireless system from the get go, so if you wire just one device and run off of SonosNet, rather than your own wifi, you're not paying the bandwidth penalty on your wifi, just on your router.

When I first bought in to Sonos, a BRIDGE was required. I eventually replaced it with a BOOST, but have been running 17 or so speakers on my BOOST without never feeling the particular need to wire them. However, I would always prefer to run my Sonos on the SonosNet connection, and not use my normal wifi bandwidth for them, despite the rather small amount of bandwidth they would take. If there's another option, why would you bother? To me, connecting it to my wifi is a marketing thing, it's much better to run on SonosNet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've fooled with running Sonos off my home WiFi, a Boost, a single wired non-boost Sonos device and my current setup with as many Sonos components wired as is convenient. I'd recommend that to anyone else too, it gives you multiple paths to any unwired components and interference free connections for the wired ones.

Check the sonos naughty hardware list and you should have no hardware glitches.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/41?language=en_US