Question

Will this set up work?

• 17 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi All

I am refurbishing my house and wish to have the TV separate from a cupboard (at the other side of the room) containing all the AV Kit and am thinking of having the following set up. However, from reading on forums I am unclear as to whether this will work, as I dont know whether the AV receiver will interact well.

TV - Samsung MU6400 (which appears to support 5.1 optical passthrough). This will be connected with 1 x HDMI (via a cat 6 cable to the AV receiver which will act as a switcher. This is a Marantz NR1506 which has connected - Sky Q, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, PS4.

I would like to have the Sonos Playbar as front speaker (connected to TV with optical cable?)
Also, the Sonos Sub will be connected.

I will also connect an IR repeater via the CAT 6 HDMI extender which should allow control of everything in the cupboard by by Harmony One remote control.

Does anyone perceive any issues with doing this? Is there an easier way? And will this all support 4k from Apple TV?

Many thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi All

I am refurbishing my house and wish to have the TV separate from a cupboard (at the other side of the room) containing all the AV Kit and am thinking of having the following set up. However, from reading on forums I am unclear as to whether this will work, as I dont know whether the AV receiver will interact well.

TV - Samsung MU6400 (which appears to support 5.1 optical passthrough). This will be connected with 1 x HDMI (via a cat 6 cable to the AV receiver which will act as a switcher. This is a Marantz NR1506 which has connected - Sky Q, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, PS4.

I would like to have the Sonos Playbar as front speaker (connected to TV with optical cable?)
Also, the Sonos Sub will be connected.

I will also connect an IR repeater via the CAT 6 HDMI extender which should allow control of everything in the cupboard by by Harmony One remote control.

Does anyone perceive any issues with doing this? Is there an easier way? And will this all support 4k from Apple TV?

Many thanks in advance

Also, I have also noted that the Marantz has an optical out port, so would this be better, or will the passthough via TV work fine?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would hook the Playbar optical to the TV since it is up front with the TV.