Wifi Password change instructions need clarification

• 18 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Attempting to follow the instructions for Sonos after changing my WiFi password were so frustrating, I'm motivated to waste more of my time to write this rather than move on. In short, trying to follow these instructions — https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=es — from a Mac will not work as described. There is no password prompt after the annoying search for an ethernet cable to connect one speaker to the WiFi. (Thank god I kept them since I didn't need them for the initial set up to the EXACT SAME router.) This is not the premium experience I would expect from this product.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Attempting to follow the instructions for Sonos after changing my WiFi password were so frustrating, I'm motivated to waste more of my time to write this rather than move on. In short, trying to follow these instructions — https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=es — from a Mac will not work as described. There is no password prompt after the annoying search for an ethernet cable to connect one speaker to the WiFi. (Thank god I kept them since I didn't need them for the initial set up to the EXACT SAME router.) This is not the premium experience I would expect from this product.
These settings have been removed from the Mac Controller. Have you succeeded in changing the WiFi password? You'll need an iOS or Android device for that task.
Yes, we figured it out, but no thanks to the instructions referenced above. As you can imagine, this was terribly annoying.
damonre,

The instructions do clearly say “Make sure you have the latest version of the Sonos app on your iOS or Android device before continuing” ... did you perhaps miss that paragraph?
Read them multiple times, but I must've missed it. My bad. In fairness to me, I was frustrated that I had to (search for and) use an ethernet cable. The router hadn't changed, just the password. I didn't have to use any cables the first time. In fact, I'd nearly thrown it out after my initial setup. Still, my bad for failing to read carefully. Sorry.
damonre,

It’s the same with the Sony PlayStation and quite a few other network entertainment devices. If we change the router password, we often have to remember to change them also on all our other devices. It’s just a case you have to cable a Sonos speaker to do that.

However, It’s a lot easier if you use a Sonos Boost, or Speaker, permanently cabled to the LAN... then you don’t have to worry about changing anything at all. You can change the router password on a regular basis and Sonos will just sort itself out.