Answered

Wifi Out of range

• 27 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have a Sonas speaker in a room that is out reach from WiFi (VirginMedia) but is still working as part of Sonas mesh.
However I can’t access network when in the room as I’m out of range also, so still won’t be able to control the music from that room?

If I get the Virgin Media Powerline Adapter, isn't that that is effectively a different network, and if so even though I'd have wifi in room I still wouldn;t be able to control the music from that room.

What can I do ?
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 27 September 2019, 11:01

I have a Homeplug/Powerline WiFi adaptor in my Garden Cabin, I set the Wifi SSID and password to the same as the house, so it is a repeater of the same in house network. It works a treat, although it does need a unplug reset every now and then. I'm on Virgin Media too.

I have half my Sonos system attached through this wifi and the rest through SonosNet in the house. I can sit in the Cabin and control all the Sonos devices on my network. If your outdoor Sonos speakers are able to connect to SonosNet you should not have a problem either
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I have a Homeplug/Powerline WiFi adaptor in my Garden Cabin, I set the Wifi SSID and password to the same as the house, so it is a repeater of the same in house network. It works a treat, although it does need a unplug reset every now and then. I'm on Virgin Media too.

I have half my Sonos system attached through this wifi and the rest through SonosNet in the house. I can sit in the Cabin and control all the Sonos devices on my network. If your outdoor Sonos speakers are able to connect to SonosNet you should not have a problem either
You could instead run a 'wired' access point, linked to the Ethernet port of the remote Sonos speaker and have that broadcast the exact same WiFi SSID/Channels and use that signal to link to any mobile (controller) and control the speaker.

There are quite a few ways to resolve getting a signal to the remote location.
Thanks
I got the powerline adapter (TP Link not Virgin Media one) and didn't have to change anything. I didn't need to set the I set the Wifi SSID and password to the same as the house, but can now control the music from my phone for all speakers through out the house in the "out of range" room