Wifi Extenders

• 2 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +4
Will a normal wifi extender work with Sonos? I have tried using a Boost but to no avail. I am trying to get the Sonos signal out to my detached garage about 75 ft. away. The nearest speaker in the house adds another 20 ft.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Where did you put the Boost? For this to work best, the Boost should be positioned halfway between the nearest speaker in the house and the speaker in the garage. If you position it inside (say, at the edge of these 20ft.), or in the garage, it will still have to bridge a 75 ft gap without amplification in between.
I realize putting it in the middle would place it outside, rendering that an impossible solution.

I don't really know if you would fare any better with a wifi extender, and besides ethernet over power adapters, which aren't always a success, nothing really comes to my mind to solve this wirelessly. However, we have some experienced people on this community, they might come up with something I haven't thought of!
Normal wifi extenders are problematic if not configured currently since they usually created a new subnet and Sonos speakers need to reside on the same subnet, as I understand it. However, the more modern residential wifi systems, like Orbi and velop create one seemless network with a master unit and multiple satellites. A quick glance at the orbi site and I'm not seeing any data on point to point range, just square footage. However graphics seem to imply that it would work. I personally use orbi and it covers my entire house and yard, covering a distance of at least 50 feet. I haven't tested 75 feet.

If you did do something like this though, you would either need to go with a wireless setup (using wifi, not sonosnet) or hardwire your garage speakers directly to a satellite unit in the garage.
Actually normal WiFi extenders are just that. No separate subnet. But they come with various other downsides. If they're in-band they halve the bandwidth. If they're of the band-shifting type (2.4G on one leg, 5G on the other) there would be range issues in this case. Some also substitute a 'virtual MAC address' for a client's real one, which can confuse.

In this instance I have to say that Ethernet-over-Powerline might be the answer. One would want to establish which wiring spur goes to the garage and, if possible, plug the EoP adapter at the house end onto the same circuit.