Answered

WI-fi

• 9 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello, It's been a while since I have problems with the wireless connection, I wanted to ask is it possible to connect the sonos system with a Tethering / Router of a smartphone instead of a Wi-Fi network.
Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 9 September 2021, 21:29

If you’re asking, can a Sonos product be setup on a mobile wireless hotspot? I can confirm that it can, as I use that whilst travelling/glamping, but it’s not an officially supported setup by Sonos as there are too many variables, but it works reasonably well for me in areas where there is a decent mobile signal. Note you do need two mobile devices to achieve this, one to act as the Router/WiFi Hotspot and a second mobile to host the Sonos Controller App.

View original

4 replies

If you’re asking, can a Sonos product be setup on a mobile wireless hotspot? I can confirm that it can, as I use that whilst travelling/glamping, but it’s not an officially supported setup by Sonos as there are too many variables, but it works reasonably well for me in areas where there is a decent mobile signal. Note you do need two mobile devices to achieve this, one to act as the Router/WiFi Hotspot and a second mobile to host the Sonos Controller App.

thanks for the reply i tried to reconfigure my sonos system with my phone on which the sonos application was, it is my wife's phone where the router was active, but when the sonos application tried the network, he only saw the wi-fi networks and did not see the hotspot router.

Thanks

If you have the original router, or any router with an Ethernet port, then cable any of your Sonos speakers to that router (temporarily). Also attach your mobile controller to that routers WiFi and power on all speakers you wish to use on your Wife’s mobile hotspot.

Next goto ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks/Update Networks’ and scan for your Sonos system and choose to add your Wife’s hotspot credentials (SSID/Password) to each of your Sonos devices. The setup will lead you step-by-step to achieve this.

Once the devices are updated with the credentials, uncable the speaker from the router and all devices updated with the hotspot credentials should then be able to run on your Wife’s hotspot. Test the setup out of range of your original router, or perhaps switch off the router to ensure they connect to the mobile hotspot… note you will need to connect your mobile controller device to your wife’s mobile hotspot too. 

Hope that assists.

Thanks a lot I'll try