Question

Why won't Philips TV Remote control volume on Sonos Beam?

• 8 September 2019
  • 5 replies

I have a Philips TV (32pfl4507f7) and Sonos Beam. No optical audio out on the TV so I've connected audio coax out to a converter (coax to optical) into Sonos Beam optical to hdmi provided and then to the Beam. Sound is fine. Volume control only available by Alexa on the Beam. No volume control on the Philips remote or Firestick remote. How can I get volume control on my remotes (Philips TV and/or Firestick)?

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Have you tried this? https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3402?language=en_US
Thanks. At #3. after tapping TV there is no remote setup option. Only two options exist: Sleep Timer and Crossfade (which is greyed out).
Thanks. At #3. after tapping TV there is no remote setup option. Only two options exist: Sleep Timer and Crossfade (which is greyed out).
Sounds very much like you’re looking in the wrong place. Goto the Sonos App 'Settings' snd then 'Room Settings' and then follow the instructions in the link posted by 106rallye.
Indeed you are correct. I've found that under "settings." TV remote now responds. But the dreaded annoying "TV speakers have been disabled" notice is up and I can't seem to resolve. Philips TV.
gmhall,

Some TV's when their internal speakers are switched off and when they sense the IR 'volume' control signal from the remote, they may give such an error message on the TV screen. I would contact Philips support, or check your TV manual, to see if there is a way to remove that message. If not, then....

What you can do is to program the Sonos product to respond to another different TV remote (any TV not Philips) and then relearn the new volume IR in the room settings. You will lose other TV functions on this chosen remote, but you won't get that message.

You will still be able to use the original Philips remote of course for the other TV functions.