Answered

Why use boost mode?

• 1 May 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
A while back I think that Sonos changed the recommended configuration. Previously, one or more units would be conned via Ethernet and the res via wifi. Now, that configuration seems robbed called Boost Mode and the standard mode is for all sonos units to be connected via wifi. Are there any pros/cons between these two modes?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 1 May 2017, 19:49

Boost or Sonosnet mode is preferable, especially for systems over 3-4 units. Standard or WiFi mode was created to combat the complaint by competitors that Sonos was "inferior" due to the requirement of a wired component, when in reality the Sonosnet mesh is far superior to using your own WiFi.

As stated here, Sonos does recommend Boost setup over Standard setup for slow or crowded networks:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

i have a wireless network with 6 different speaker locations. I run into the IOS controller losing connection and being lagging when I am outside by my pool. I tried a WiFi extender but it creates a separate network and Sonos will not connect. I tried matching the SSID network name and no luck getting the Sonos connect.
Your 'extender' could in fact be a router, in which case its wireless would be on a different network and any attached Sonos controllers wouldn't be able to see the players.

4. After this boost set up would will I be able to access my Sonos IOS controller on both my extended network and regular network?

Not if the extender is a router. What model is it?
I run into the IOS controller losing connection and being lagging when I am outside by my pool. I tried a WiFi extender but it creates a separate network and Sonos will not connect.
WiFi extender is the answer; the iOS device talks to Sonos only via the Home WiFi so adding a Boost won't make any difference. I don't know what your problem is since I don't know what router/extender you are using; I use Apple Airport Express to extend the reach of my Apple Time Capsule founded WiFi network and all that does is extend the Wifi reach of the same network to rooms that are far away from the router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
1. Will a Boost help me in this situation?

2. By wiring one or more of my devices will it help and how would that differ from a boost? Is A boost a better connection?

3. If I connect one of my wired devices would it make sense to do the most centrally located Sonos devices allowing it to communicate with the other devices easier?

4. After this boost set up would will I be able to access my Sonos IOS controller on both my extended network and regular network?

1. I don't know if a Boost device would help with your controller connection but I do see small improvements in my Sonos Net using one here instead of just wiring one of my Sonos Play units.

2. By wiring one Sonos unit (Play or Boost) you switch to a more robust mesh network, using the Boost gives you options as it is tiny and easily located anywhere you have power and Ethernet, where with a Play/Connect unit you need to consider the audio output too.

3. I'd think the most centrally located device would be your best option although that doesn't seem to be that big a deal when using the Sonos Net mesh setup. I did centrally locate my Boost but then I had to go back and tweak things to gain some separation between it and other WiFi devices even though they were on non-interfering channels.

4. I'm not sure.
i have a wireless network with 6 different speaker locations. I run into the IOS controller losing connection and being lagging when I am outside by my pool. I tried a WiFi extender but it creates a separate network and Sonos will not connect. I tried matching the SSID network name and no luck getting the Sonos connect.

1. Will a Boost help me in this situation?

2. By wiring one or more of my devices will it help and how would that differ from a boost? Is A boost a better connection?

3. If I connect one of my wired devices would it make sense to do the most centrally located Sonos devices allowing it to communicate with the other devices easier?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Yes, you can choose via the controller, under advanced settings. With a Boost wired to my router, I have mine set to 1, while my WiFi is on 11. With IP addresses reserved, this works very well for my 4 zone system, in a WiFi crowded apartments environment.
Badge +1
Do I have control over which channel sonos uses? Assuming it uses the same channels clustered around the 2.4 GHz wifi standard....
Both use the same frequencies.
Same band (2.4GHz) but as a general rule one should choose different channels (i.e. frequencies) for SonosNet and WiFi, spacing them by at least 5 channel numbers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
From what I read here, the experts say that the mesh network provided by boost mode will be more robust and provide better coverage than WiFi. I believe Sonos offered WiFi to counter the argument that "Sonos isn't truly wireless" or that "Sonos uses proprietary networking". In other words, more for marketing than any technical reason.

In boost mode all wireless devices are connected by Sonosnet, a mesh network different from WiFi. Both use the same frequencies.

So, if you can wire one or more of your units to your router, do it. If you can't (or don't want to) I would try WiFi before investing in a Sonos Boost.
Boost or Sonosnet mode is preferable, especially for systems over 3-4 units. Standard or WiFi mode was created to combat the complaint by competitors that Sonos was "inferior" due to the requirement of a wired component, when in reality the Sonosnet mesh is far superior to using your own WiFi.

As stated here, Sonos does recommend Boost setup over Standard setup for slow or crowded networks:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046