Question

Why Sonos disabled the thrid party sub in Amp surround??

• 13 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Not sure why that is, but I have been told by Sonos rep. tp buy Sonos sub and it will work.

My REL sub work fine  now, with only front speakers. My plan was to purchase an Sonos Arc and move my old spekers to to the rear, and reuse my REL sub, but I feel Sonos is forcing me to buy more  of their product.

I am closer to ditching the Amp and inverst in new, more friendly set up  then spending  more $ on  additional Sonos product.  

Many of us already have third party cmponenets. wich we hsould be able to use with Sonos.

Can  anyone suggest alternatives?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @vertigo22 

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for your detailed post describing your concern.  We appreciate your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectation. 

The Sonos Amp has an auto-detecting RCA subwoofer output with a user-adjustable 50-110 Hz crossover. You can simply connect your 3rd party subwoofer to the Amp's RCA output labeled SUB. When you set up the Sonos Amp as surrounds, the SUB and Line-In connections are disabled. You may check out this FAQ for your reference.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks,

This is of little help to me. I already have my sub connected and I am using my speakers for the front.

My issue is why have you disabled the sub in the surround option?

My ultimate goal was to purchase the Sonos Arc for the front, move my speakers to the rear, and use my own subwoofer.  Whatever reason your company had for doing this it makes me now rethink purchasing the Arc altogether fi my only option for the subwoofer is another Sonos sub.  This will naturally cost me more money I am not willing to spend.

There is no logical reason why you would disable the sub in surround other then forcing people to buy more of your product.

Thanks,

This is of little help to me. I already have my sub connected and I am using my speakers for the front.

My issue is why have you disabled the sub in the surround option?

My ultimate goal was to purchase the Sonos Arc for the front, move my speakers to the rear, and use my own subwoofer.  Whatever reason your company had for doing this it makes me now rethink purchasing the Arc altogether fi my only option for the subwoofer is another Sonos sub.  This will naturally cost me more money I am not willing to spend.

There is no logical reason why you would disable the sub in surround other then forcing people to buy more of your product.

If they wanted to “force” people to buy their product, they wouldn’t give you a subwoofer output at all.  Could it be that the Amp in surround mode only gets a 2 channel signal and is not capable of receiving the .1 signal?  Maybe.  That is certainly more plausible than they disconnect a subwoofer out in one configuration to “force” users to buy a Sonos sub, while at the same time they allow the subwoofer output in another configuration, encouraging the use of 3rd party products.  

Perhaps. You may not need a sub to enjoy the surround setup, it does help, and company such as Sonos would definitely consider that option. The Sonos system does, however, have the surround mode and it does recognize the Sonos Sub.

Perhaps. You may not need a sub to enjoy the surround setup, it does help, and company such as Sonos would definitely consider that option. The Sonos system does, however, have the surround mode and it does recognize the Sonos Sub.

Your statement isn’t very clear.   The Sonos system is capable of sending the  2 rear channels of audio wirelessly to a Sonos amp, while also sending a bass channel to a Sonos Sub.  it is not capable of sending the two surround channels and bass channel to a Sonos amp. You don’t have to use surround speakers or a sub.