Answered

Why is the Sonos Roam subpar

• 11 September 2021
  • 9 replies

I bought the Sonos Roam on vacation to listen at the pool.  It does not connect to WiFi, bluetooth or apple airplay and is just basically a paper weight.  Luckily for me the tech support guys dont work on the weekend so I have no one to help me.

WHAT A WASTE AND FALSE ADVERTISING!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 September 2021, 20:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since you are on holiday, are these three wifi locations all hotel/business style networks? These networks most often do not allow devices to “see” other devices on the network (for security reasons). As this is a prerequisite for Sonos (your phone needs to be in contact with the Sonos device to command it) setting the Roam up on such a network will not work…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I bought the Sonos Roam on vacation to listen at the pool.  It does not connect to WiFi, bluetooth or apple airplay and is just basically a paper weight.  Luckily for me the tech support guys dont work on the weekend so I have no one to help me.

What a strange and inaccurate claim you have made. The Roam does support wifi, Bluetooth and Apple Airplay2. Perhaps it’s just that (for whatever reason) you can’t connect to it?  

If the Roam is a “big piece of crap product” that doesn’t work, then how was I able to listen to my Roam over WiFi, Bluetooth, and AirPlay today?

Not sure, but congratulations.  This still doesn’t fix my issue.  What an “amazing” community that attacks someone struggling to use a product instead of helping.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If the Roam is a “big piece of crap product” that doesn’t work, then how was I able to listen to my Roam over WiFi, Bluetooth, and AirPlay today?

Not sure, but congratulations.  This still doesn’t fix my issue.  What an “amazing” community that attacks someone struggling to use a product instead of helping.  

You didn’t exactly ask for help in your original post. Have you read and noted the points raised by @Airgetlam? Are you still in need of assistance? If so, what have you tried, and what error messages did you get?

it says that “your sonos roam had been added but may not appear in the system tab.  if so, press and hold power button for 5 seconds, then turn off your Sonos Roam back on to finish setup from the System tab.  

After doing all of that it still says did you change your router or network settings or unplug n Ethernet cable from a Sonos product?  (Keep in mind, you can not put ethernet into a Roam)

Then it says “Sonos not found.  Make sure you’re signed in and your mobile device is connected to the internet and on the same WiFi as Sonos.”  ((Even though the Roam was added two steps above, it now says it is not found))

I have done this restarting / set up from three different WiFi locations, from an iPhone and an iPad and get the exact same messages.

I would suspect that as the OP purchased it ‘on vacation’, they probably ignored the fact that it requires being set up on WiFi before it can be used. 

As indicated in the marketing materials (and likely on the box as well, but I don’t have one to hand):

Will Roam work with Bluetooth out of the box?

Like all Sonos speakers, Roam must be set up with the Sonos app while on WiFi before you can connect a device directly via Bluetooth.

However, I’d assume the same applies to AirPlay 2 as well. Essentially, I feel like the speaker needs to be initIalized with an OS, so it can function. 

MAYBE or maybe I tried three different WIFI connections and none of it worked.  Maybe it is just a bad device and a bad product.

What a strange and inaccurate claim you have made. The Roam does support wifi, Bluetooth and Apple Airplay2. Perhaps it’s just that (for whatever reason) you can’t connect to it?  

How is it inaccurate if it doesn’t work.  I have tried 3 different wife networks and note if it works.  Maybe it is just a big piece of crap product and doesn’t work as advertised.  PLUS, their tech team doesn’t work on the weekends which makes it worse.

Userlevel 7