Why do I feel I have just wasted £1500

Badge

I have just purchased an Arc and Sub Gen3, paired with a couple of Play:1’s that I had lying around that weren’t being used.

I cannot for the life of me get it working to get a decent sound out of it.

The biggest issue is that I cannot turn on Dolby Digital Plus on my Sky box because the lip sync is out and no amount of adjustment on the TV, Sky Box or Sonos app makes any difference, when I leave it on Stereo PCM it sounds poor. 

I previously had an Onkyo Dolby Atmos amp and when that was outputting Sterio PCM it sounded significantly better than this. It was working perfectly but fancied a change, a change I am now seriously regretting.

I work in IT so I consider myself to be reasonable competent with such things and I have literally tried everything.

My TV is a 2019 model Philips Ambilight 55” 4K with arc output. The Sonos is connected to this HDMI port and the sky box is connected to another HDMI port. I have tried every HDMI cable I have in the house including the one that came with the ARC. I have tried disconnecting power on all devices etc etc.

I even started looking at buying another TV today but I really don’t fancy spending another £1000 witth no guarantee it will work. 

Can anyone help before this goes on ebay!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7

Do you have the Digital Out Format set to Multichannel (bypass) on your TV? Have you performed Trueplay tuning yet?

Badge

Yes I have tried it with Multichannel (bypass) and without.

I have just discovered that it was the Trueplay tuning that has given the poor quality because it reset everything to defaults. I have now made the changes and it sounds significantly better.

So I have just have the lipsync issue to solve.

Lipsync would be unlikely to be a Sonos issue. It’s much more likely that there’s an issue in the TV passing the 5.1 sound signal out via ARC. Or, since you used the magic words ‘Sky box’, it’s also possible that there’s an issue there. Make sure you double check that the Sky Box’s settings are correct.

Stereo PCM is a different signal from the others, such as Dolby Digital, so that would likely be why your previous device was working properly. 

Badge

There are no other audio settings on the Sky Box, it does have it’s own Lipsync settings and I have already tried those.

There are no other audio settings on the Sky Box, it does have it’s own Lipsync settings and I have already tried those.

Whilst an audio extractor would likely resolve your issue here by bypassing the TV altogether, maybe first quickly try the optical audio-out port from the Philips TV to the ARC instead using the supplied Optical-to-HDMI adapter and see what happens when using that connection.

Badge

Whilst an audio extractor would likely resolve your issue here by bypassing the TV altogether, maybe first quickly try the optical audio-out port from the Philips TV to the ARC instead using the supplied Optical-to-HDMI adapter and see what happens when using that connection.

I have tried an audio extractor, it didn’t work. Managed to get video to the TV but the ARC didn’t like it at all and kept flashing White/Orange. I have avoided optical for the reason it doesn’t support Atmos.

@IanVicker

I had a similar issue to yours, but it was with an older LG TV not passing the DD+ audio through it’s HDMI ports quickly enough, but it did work fine for DD 5.1 audio over its optical port. However, like you I wanted support for Atmos audio, so at the time there were just two extractors on the market that supported Atmos audio and I went for the Feintech extractor - that works a treat, but many here will confirm the HDFury extractor(s) work with the ARC too.. they are, at least, a cheaper alternative to purchasing a new TV.

Badge

@IanVicker

I had a similar issue to yours, but it was with an older LG TV not passing the DD+ audio through it’s HDMI ports quickly enough, but it did work fine for DD 5.1 audio over its optical port. However, like you I wanted support for Atmos audio, so at the time there were just two extractors on the market that supported Atmos audio and I went for the Feintech extractor - that works a treat, but many here will confirm the HDFury extractor(s) work with the ARC too.. they are at least, a cheaper alternative to purchasing a new TV.

Thanks, I purchased a cheaper one on Amazon, it’s going back. I struggled to find somewhere to buy the HDFury and also read somoe people having issues getting it setup. I almost thing the easiest option is to buy a new TV...

I’m using the HDFury ARCANA with a cheap LG TV that does not have HDMI eARC. It works well. One disadvantage to this approach is that I cannot use the TV’s input selector. I have no experience with the SKY box.

How does your audio extractor connect to the Arc?  The only way it would have any hope of working would be if the output was optical and then connected to the converter supplied with the Arc to connect to the Arc.  Is that what you have tried? 

I am not aware of difficulties with Arcana setup and had no problems myself.

Badge

I’m using the HDFury ARCANA with a cheap LG TV that does not have HDMI eARC. It works well. One disadvantage to this approach is that I cannot use the TV’s input selector. I have no experience with the SKY box.

I accept what you are saying but I completely disagree with spending a fair chunk of money to cobble a solution together to make it work. It’s crap!

I accept what you are saying but I completely disagree with spending a fair chunk of money to cobble a solution together to make it work. It’s crap!

The Arc plays the audio without delay when it receives it.  It cannot play audio any quicker and has no control over the video.  If your frustration is directed at Sonos, it is misdirected.

Badge

The Arc plays the audio without delay when it receives it.  It cannot play audio any quicker and has no control over the video.  If your frustration is directed at Sonos, it is misdirected.

Im sure Philips will also try to blame someone else as well...

Im sure Philips will also try to blame someone else as well...

Until time travel is possible, Sonos speakers will remain incapable of playing audio before they receive it.

If you would like to answer my earlier question about your audio extractor, we can see if there is scope for a cheap solution??

Badge

How does your audio extractor connect to the Arc?  The only way it would have any hope of working would be if the output was optical and then connected to the converter supplied with the Arc to connect to the Arc.  Is that what you have tried? 

It was connected by HDMI to the ARC not Optical, you have also dampened my illusions about time travel. I thought it was possible, just ask Marty McFly.

HDFury Arcana works fine. I have a TV which doesn’t even have ARC, let alone eARC. HDFury delivers Atmos to the Beam/gen2 from a Firestick.

I do have to add lip-sync delay at the Sonos end, since the audio would otherwise be well ahead of the TV picture.

It was connected by HDMI to the ARC not Optical, you have also dampened my illusions about time travel. I thought it was possible, just ask Marty McFly.

Lol.  But seriously, you extractor was never going to work because it feeds an HDMI input to the Arc, but the Arc needs HDMI-ARC.  You need an HDMI switch with optical out, and use the supplied converter to convert to HDMI-ARC.  This won’t give you Atmos, but should give good DD5.1 surround in sync.  (I cannot promise, of course.)

Does the Sky box have optical out?  If so, try ruming that to the converter, then plug converter into Arc.

Badge

Lol.  But seriously, you extractor was never going to work because it feeds an HDMI input to the Arc, but the Arc needs HDMI-ARC.  You need an HDMI switch with optical out, and use the supplied converter to convert to HDMI-ARC.  This won’t give you Atmos, but should give good DD5.1 surround in sync.  (I cannot promise, of course.)

Does the Sky box have optical out?  If so, try ruming that to the converter, then plug converter into Arc.

Not sure if the sky box has optical out, if I wanted 5.1 I could use the TV’s optical out. So in a nutshell I either buy a new TV or buy the HDfury Arcana.

Not sure if the sky box has optical out, if I wanted 5.1 I could use the TV’s optical out. So in a nutshell I either buy a new TV or buy the HDfury Arcana.

NO.  The whole point of running direct from the Sky box would be to avoid the audio being processed through the TV.

Badge

NO.  The whole point of running direct from the Sky box would be to avoid the audio being processed through the TV.

Ok, so what you are actually saying is that the Sonos product I have purchased will not work through any TV and you need a third party product in order to pass the audio direct from that device to the ARC.

I just want to completely I understand. I think I will contact Sonos tech support because all I’m doing here is debating with people and it’s just making me not want the product even more now than before I started the topic!

There is no need for a response, thank you for your comments.

Ok, so what you are actually saying is that the Sonos product I have purchased will not work through any TV and you need a third party product in order to pass the audio direct from that device to the ARC.

I just want to completely I understand. I think I will contact Sonos tech support because all I’m doing here is debating with people and it’s just making me not want the product even more now than before I started the topic!

There is no need for a response, thank you for your comments.

You cannot completely misrepresent what i was saying and then deny me the right to a response.

So for the benefit of other readers: If your TV introduces an audio lag that makes it impossible for the Sonos to sync, a possible workaround is to bypass the source of the problem, i.e. the TV, by running the audio directly to the Sonos soundbar.

Badge

I guess you must have the last word. It’s your right to response, I simply did not want to get into even more of a debate than we are already having.

People can read, they know you are right and I’m just some ignorant idiot that just wants something to work, so why do you feel the need to explain “For the benefit of other readers” If they can read “For the benefit of other readers” then they can read what you have previously typed. You could have just put ok if you felt the need to put something!

Good day.

FWIW, I opted to use the Feintech audio extractor (also mentioned in various other threads here in the community) and that has worked a treat for Atmos (& DTS/LPCM) audio output with my (real-old) LG TV linked to a Sonos HT setup. 

All A/V is perfectly lip-synced from each and every connected source. I think the extractor cost me in the region of £140 (delivered to the UK) IIRC; so was a much cheaper route than buying a brand new TV, plus it is a switch too, so a win-win device for use with a TV that, in my case, only has two HDMI inputs, one with audio return channel.

To the use of the word “waste” in the title thread: In many parts of the world there is a Sonos full and no questions asked refund policy. Are you not in any of those parts?