Answered

Where to Connect Optical

• 26 March 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hello all,

I have my LG OLED55E7P connected to my Sonos Playbase via the typical optical connection. Connected to my TV is my Android streaming device, that also has an optical connection. The Android streaming device is connected to the TV via HDMI.

My streaming device is a Minix U9H Android device: http://www.minix.us/products/NEO-U9-H.html. This support full Dolby, DTS, Dolby Atmos, HDR10, 4K. Would it be advisable to move the optical connection from the TV to the streaming device? All my live and recorded content is streamed from this device.

Thanks,
Steve
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 26 March 2018, 19:19

Hi SteveFP

You should be OK (albeit with a few caveats) as the Playbase is not particular from where the Audio stream originates as long as it's optical. Without researching your LG you'd have to somehow silence it's built-in speakers without having an on screen message appear. The remote used with the Minix U9H Android device must be compatible with the Playbase to control volume. From the picture it appears to be BT? There are several links here on using a non-IR remote with the Playbase: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/bluetooth%20remote

Cheers!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi SteveFP

You should be OK (albeit with a few caveats) as the Playbase is not particular from where the Audio stream originates as long as it's optical. Without researching your LG you'd have to somehow silence it's built-in speakers without having an on screen message appear. The remote used with the Minix U9H Android device must be compatible with the Playbase to control volume. From the picture it appears to be BT? There are several links here on using a non-IR remote with the Playbase: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/bluetooth%20remote

Cheers!
Badge
Sorry it took me almost two months to come back to this...

Yes I have the remote all nailed down and the internal speakers are turned off. Sound is coming from the Sonos perfectly, however I am concerned about whether or not the audio formats from the U9H make it to the Sonos, and if yes does the Sonos natively support the more current audio like DTS 5.1/7.1, Dolby Atmos, EAC3, etc. I would prefer not to configure PCM, as that kills the advanced audio and gives you stereo for compatibility. As mentioned I can take the optical from the U9H directly to the Sonos, if that makes more sense than going the long route with the TV in the middle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos can do 5.1 but none of the other formats (because optical). Your LG might only emit 2.0 over optical when fed from HDMI sources. If so you can force it to 5.1 uses an EDID adapter, or use the secret service menus (which is what I did on my LG).
Userlevel 7
Hi SteveFP

Glad you got your remote nailed down 😃 The Sonos Playbar only processes Dolby Digital 5.1. If the U9H is the only source for viewing content then you're set. If you are employing other HDMI sources (cable, blu-ray player etc.) you have two options:

1. Use additional HDMI inputs on your LG and switch to those when using a secondary source
2. If you have two many HDMI sources for the LG to handle you can invest in an HDMI switch to connect All sources to the LG_HDMI 1 input and use the switch to make your selection

Both options maintain your current audio setup_optical out from LG to Sonos Playbar.

Cheers
Badge
Could I put a HDMI to optical switch in place? So all the new formats, which come in via HDMI, are then switched to optical and then into the Sonos?
Badge
Could I put a HDMI to optical switch in place? So all the new formats, which come in via HDMI, are then switched to optical and then into the Sonos?

I actually went down this route. I purchased a ViewHD HDMI 3x1 switch with optical out and HDMI ARC out. Solves my problem of supporting the various HDMI ARC formats and takes the TV out of the equation!
Userlevel 7

Oh well...looks like you answered your question in between your post and my response. 🆒

Hi SteveFP

Here's a little 101 on HDMI..

The latest consumer level standard is HDMI 2.1. Therefore to capture all codecs you need to purchase cables that are either HDMI 2.1 " ready" or "compatible "_the lingo used will depend on upon the manufacturer (i.e. brand). That said the cable will be backwards compatible to all HDMI inputs and outputs. That means that if your LG is not capable of processing 4K Video and/or Dolby Atmos Audio (for example) from a source the signal will be adjusted automatically or via menu to accommodate your LG's processing abilities.

Since HDMI carries the video and audio signal you only need connect the HDMI out from the switch to the HDMI in on your LG. The audio processing to optical to achieve DD5.1 will be handled as I mentioned above or using an EDID adapter as mentioned by controlav (if necessary).

Bottomline...don't overthink the process. An HDMI switch is designed to make viewing from multiple HDMI sources simple not difficult.

Cheers!
Badge
Agreed...always use the KISS principle in everything I do but the problem is that my TV can take in the audio formats via HDMI ARC but cannot send them to the optical. I have to select PCM when going to optical, which kills all the nice formats like Atmos, DD+, etc. Putting a switch in line to the HDMI preserves the audio formats and the switch will program the optical to send the right audio...win win!