What a pain in the ass!

• 16 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I have 3 Play 5s (gen 2), a Sonos One and a Connect. Everything worked fine. 

I decided to add 2 SLs to a couple of other rooms, fill out the sound in my house. 

What an idiot. 

I’ve tried 2 PCs, 2 different phones, keep getting bounced between S1 and S2. Managed to add one of the SLs to a now new network but now nothing works. PC doesn’t see the new system, phone seems to find the system but doesn’t play. Didn’t even take the second SL out of the box, figured I’d get the system working first before I tried to add it. (Yes, I know the Connect is not compatible. No way to remove it from the app.)

Try to open S2 on my primary phone, tells me to open S1 Controller. Do that and it tells me to update my system. 

I finally got something to play using my spare phone but not my desktop PC and not my main phone. iPhone 12 Pro. No access to my library or saved music sources. 

Windows 10: “Sonos system not found.” 

Of course, no one in tech support is available. Who would need help with a music system on a weekend?

This should not be this hard. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you open up the App you were controlling your existing Sonos with and go to Support | System | Add a Product?

If you didn’t you may have setup two or more independent Sonos systems.

I don’t use it but I don’t think the Windows program can add components, I believe you have to use the Sonos App.

Try unplugging your new speaker, leave it unplugged while you recover what you had.

Shut down all controllers except one App.

Power down all Sonos gear.

Reboot your router.

Power up one Sonos, wired if you have any, otherwise one close to your router.

Start the Sonos App and see if you can connect to what you had before you started.

If you can then power up the other old Sonos and let the system get reconnected.

Now go to the new speaker, the one you haven’t tried yet and follow the steps at Support | System | Add a Product.

If that works do a factory reset ONLY on the other new speaker and follow the Add steps again.

A new One SL cannot be added to an S1 system. It comes with S2 firmware and is unable to downgrade. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

One SL can only be added to S2 systems. One SLs that are already part of an S1 system will continue to work as they do today.

Badge +2

I understand all of that. 

After about 5 hours of work, got things running. Had to delete everything, start from scratch. Now I have to go back and add all my sources and libraries to my desktop PC app. Great. 

Had I to do this all over, I would have found a couple of older Sonos Ones and skipped all the issues. 

Can’t wait until Sonos intros Play 7s that only work with S3. 

Observations:

1. You can only set this system up with a phone. Can’t set up with a Windows PC and there are billions of them out there.
  2. I do not understand why there is not an easy transition to upgrade from S1 to S2. 
  3. I do not understand why Sonos would intro a product that is not backwards compatible. 
  4. All of this on a system that needs to be upgraded/updated about every third time I try to use it. 

Badge +2

Bear in mind that a couple of my Sonos units are way up on the top of cabinets and I can only reach them from a ladder. My modem/router is buried inside a cabinet and is not easily accessible. 

Badge +2

Well, this is just great. For some reason, I have all 6 Sonos units in S2, have them grouped but the only 3 that will play are my  Play5s. 

Now the phone app is telling me to update my network settings - again. 

“Unable to join Sonos network.” 

Badge +2

I’m gonna go for a drive. Life’s too short.