Was I hacked? Email address changed without my permission.

• 14 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hey there, a few days ago I received an email from Sonos asking if I changed my email address to one I’d never seen before. My system is new and I’m the only one who’s owned it, so (reading into other threads here) I don’t know how this email address could’ve landed in my system. I called Sonos today and the tech helped me transfer the system back to my original email, but we’re still clueless how this happened, and I’m concerned there’s a wider issue.

Oddly (no idea if it was related), earlier the same day I received a phone call from an “Apple rep,” which turned out to be part of the “iCloud breach” phone scam. I realized this after a few minutes on the call and hadn’t given the caller any information. Still, the timing of the change on my Sonos account to an email I’ve never heard of has me concerned.

Anyone else experienced this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @yearofthebeat, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community!

There are generally two ways this could happen - either a system transfer, as you performed on call with support, or manually changing the email address when logged in to the Sonos.com website.

I did take a look at the registration history of your system, and the account associated to your system didn’t change (until you transferred it through the app), so it looks like the email address linked to that account may have been manually changed via the Sonos website.

Is it possible that you left an open webpage while logged in to Sonos.com somewhere?

Hi @Xander P, thanks for your response. I don’t have any recollection of someone using my credentials to change the registration to this email I’ve never heard of, and I’m the only person who uses my laptop. I also live alone, so it’s extremely unlikely someone would’ve done this without my knowing. Given that, is it possible there’s a broader breach, and are you aware of this happening to other Sonos users?

If not, is there a way to see if anything suspicious has happened on my account, other than the registration being temporarily shifted to an email I don’t know? I went ahead and changed my password. Any other tips you’d offer to secure my account?

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @yearofthebeat 

Apologies - Xander is on a long weekend off.

We are not aware of any such breach, no.

Do you tend to use the same password on separate accounts? If so, I recommend you visit this site and enter your email: https://haveibeenpwned.com/. If you are told that your email was involved in a breach, please change the passwords on all associated accounts, including Sonos.

It is difficult to see what someone could gain by re-registering your speakers, so seems unlikely that this is a malevolent action. It is not entirely unheard of for visitors to mess with Sonos registrations, though in these cases you are likely to recognise the email address (or it’s owner). This is now less common as we’ve introduced additional security in the app, and also due to Covid-19 lockdowns meaning there are less visitors in general.