VLAN Issue on Unifi Network After 10.6 Update on iOS

• 15 December 2019
  • 68 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I updated my iOS app version last week after the release of 10.6. My speakers and Boost were updated at the same time. 

My Boost and speakers are set up on a separate VLAN from my iOS devices. This has worked fine for the last 2 years using a custom igmp proxy config for my Unifi security gateway that manages traffic between my home VLANs. 

This has stopped working after the Sonos 10.6 update and I now need to switch to my IOT wifi network to be able to access Sonos. 

Anyone else having similar issues?

68 replies

Userlevel 2

I updated my iOS app version last week after the release of 10.6. My speakers and Boost were updated at the same time. 

My Boost and speakers are set up on a separate VLAN from my iOS devices. This has worked fine for the last 2 years using a custom igmp proxy config for my Unifi security gateway that manages traffic between my home VLANs. 

This has stopped working after the Sonos 10.6 update and I now need to switch to my IOT wifi network to be able to access Sonos. 

Anyone else having similar issues?

I think so, my wired Amps no longer connect to the network. If i use wireless they are fine. The only way to get them running wired is to exclude them from the DHCP pool on my pihole and use a small reservation on my gateway.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@danwooller, that’s interesting, I’m running PiHole as my internal DNS which is assigned to the clients on both VLANs via the DHCP service on my Unifi security gateway. It does seem to be client related though. The Sonos controller application on my Win 10 laptop can still connect to the Sonos kit across from my private network to my IoT VLAN. Also, I’ve not put any Unifi firmware or network controller updates on for a few weeks now. 

I’m pretty confident that my IGMP proxy is still working correctly on the USG as I have other non Sonos devices and services that rely on it and are still working as they have been for some time. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am having the same problem! Also running a PiHole as a DNS on all VLANs via DHCP on Unifi. My Playbar is wired to VLAN#20 (IoT) and has a connection to the network - only the controller on iOS won’t connect on my VLAN#10 (private).

I think so, my wired Amps no longer connect to the network. If i use wireless they are fine. The only way to get them running wired is to exclude them from the DHCP pool on my pihole and use a small reservation on my gateway.

What do you mean with “If I use wireless they are fine.”? You can establish a connection with the Sonos controller across subnets or Sonos is connected to the network in general?

The Sonos controller application on my Win 10 laptop can still connect to the Sonos kit across from my private network to my IoT VLAN.

Which version do you use? I haven’t tried it on my PC until now and version 106 (obviously 10.6) won’t find any Sonos devices. If you are having an earlier version of the Sonos Windows Controller it will be another proof that something has been broken within the new 10.6 Sonos update.

There is also a second thread here in the Sonos community and also on reddit:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/sonos-control-across-a-vlan-has-stopped-working-6833843

https://www.reddit.com/r/UNIFI/comments/e1dpl6/sonos_igmp_proxy_suddenly_broken/

Sorry for crossposting, but Sonos needs to know about this …

Userlevel 1
Badge

Okay, installed version 10.5 on my Windows 10 PC and it instantly discovered my Sonos System.

There is something broken in 10.6!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Quick check to rule it out - is it only iOS devices experiencing this issue? And if so, are they all running iOS 13.3? I’m just conscious this is another software change that happened recently. However, looking at the published change log I can’t see that would be, unless it is a patch to a vulnerability Apple haven’t published. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

No, I don’t think so, because it also does not Work with Sonos Windows Controller 106. As already mentioned, Sonos Windows Controller 105 works like a charm. 

Unfortunately I don’t have any Android devices to test but I think there will be the same issues with the newest 10.6 version. Can anyone confirm this?

Userlevel 2
Badge

@phrankme - my Win 10 laptop has not had the Sonos controller updated on it yet, so I’m guessing it’s on 10.5 still.  It connects immediately across from my private VLAN to the IoT VLAN .

Badge

I’ve been having issues with iOS’ controller app for the past three weeks – https://www.reddit.com/r/UNIFI/comments/e1dpl6/sonos_igmp_proxy_suddenly_broken/

Initially, it seemed a UniFi issue as UBNT had issued a downgradable firmware for their wired switches, which after two weeks of trying to fix the issue through network troubleshooting, restored iOS support instantly.

Fast forward a few days and Sonos put out firmware 10.6 which has knocked everything out again.

-----

Like some other here, I’m running a UniFi setup with my Sonos devices situated in an ‘IoT’ VLAN which traffic openly flowing into that VLAN from my primary, but restricted coming back out. IGMP Proxy is enabled, any relevant mDNS reflection, and holes for Sonos services poked through the firewall.

It’s been solid for the past 6 months or so until recently – any strangely it still works on Mac on 10.6.
Even weirder is that I can force iOS to connect by toggling the WiFi from Control Center with the Sonos app running (blurred) in the background.

10.6 still works fine on Android, but not working on IOS.

Win 10 computer on 10.6 is also working.

Sonos 10.5 is working on IOS on IPAD.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Jamie Shaw - I saw the issue temporarily on one of the recent Sonos 10.5.x iOS releases but was able to get round it by switching my iPhone/iPad over to the IoT WiFi network, establishing the connection and then switching back to my private network. 

Once this was done, the Sonos app was happy to remember where to find the Boost and the speakers themselves. 10.6 has broken the app unless I leave it running on the iPhone or iPad and even then, it crashes after a while and I need to repeat the WiFi switch process. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

BTW, do any of the more frequent users on here know of a way to tag Sonos support in this thread?

My work phone is Android and I noticed it had auto updated the Sonos app this morning. Will test it when I get home. 

@Jamie Shaw Thanks I tried the work around by toggling wifi on and off and it works on ios that way.  Keep the app open and works phone.  Kill the app and no  longer works until you do the wifi work around.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Jamie Shaw Thanks I tried the work around by toggling wifi on and off and it works on ios that way.  Keep the app open and works phone.  Kill the app and no  longer works until you do the wifi work around.

Works, as long as you don’t have any “room mates”! My wife has absolutely no understanding for logging into a seperate wifi just in order to get the sonos app running… Even for me it is annoying to repeat that procedure every couple of hours.

Just to have everything in place, this is what I get if I check multicast traffic:

“show ip multicast mfc”:

Tested the data flow with “show ip multicast interfaces”:

@phrankme the work around is not joining the iot wifi, just toggling wifi off and on, it works.  Like @Jamie Shaw mentioned it is weird that it works but it does. While in sonos swipe up while sonos is searching turn off wifi through command center then turn wifi back on and it goes through.  

This was from the post.  Even weirder is that I can force iOS to connect by toggling the WiFi from Control Center with the Sonos app running (blurred) in the background.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@phrankme the work around is not joining the iot wifi, just toggling wifi off and on, it works.  Like @Jamie Shaw mentioned it is weird that it works but it does. While in sonos swipe up while sonos is searching turn off wife through command center then turn wifi back on and it goes through.  

This was from the post.  Even weirder is that I can force iOS to connect by toggling the WiFi from Control Center with the Sonos app running (blurred) in the background.

WTF?! I read that but didn’t try, because I thought this wasn’t really what you meant! 😉 Tested it, works. Crazy… but definately no permanent solution!

@phrankme agreed, hopefully they are monitoring this and find the issue in Version 10.6 for IOS.

Badge

Last week I spent an entire day trying to figure it out. I hooked my iPhone up to Wireshark to see what was happening and the iPhone is reaching out looking for the Sonos IP addresses (IGMP Announce) but nothing replies.

I'm not sure the SEARCH queries have a short lifespan that isn't transferring across VLANs. 

Badge

@phrankme agreed, hopefully they are monitoring this and find the issue in Version 10.6 for IOS.

According to Twitter support – they are not. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@PburgguyHope so! But unless this is a major issue adressing more people and not only “us” guys with different subnets (or iot security in general becomes an issue), Sonos won’t do anything - just my 2 pence, as using Sonos devices on different subnets isn’t officially supported...

@Jamie ShawAre your queries similar to mine, see above? I am not really into IGMP packages but it looks like there are correct requests and replies from eth1.20 (IoT) to eth1.10 (private)?

Badge

@phrankme Yeah; looks the same. As many “wrong” packets as those going upstream – but they were there even when it was working.

I too doubt Sonos will do anything. As fair as normal operation goes; connecting to Sonos when on the same network works fine. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just tried my work Samsung Android phone. Same thing with 10.6 on Android on my private VLAN. Work phone usually lives on the IoT VLAN anyway...

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just recognized, that I also have from time to time buffer problems. The music then stops for about 3-10 seconds … Checked also on my Sonos speakers, they are on 10.6.

Badge

Just recognized, that I also have from time to time buffer problems. The music then stops for about 3-10 seconds … Checked also on my Sonos speakers, they are on 10.6.

That’s the one thing I can rule out – not seeing any issues with rebuffering, just connecting from iOS 😕