Answered

Using Sonos Speakers through an AV Receiver

• 18 December 2017
  • 11 replies

I have looked around but can't seem to find a way to set up a Sonos 5.1 system (playbase, Bass, and two Play 1's) through my AV receiver. I see them up through a TV but not through a receiver. Is it possible to use Sonos speakers similar to the way you would use wired speakers? Be gentle and use simple terms...I am not a technical person. Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by John B 18 December 2017, 10:06

Hi. No you cannot do this. The Sonos 5.1 system makes the AV receiver redundant, because Sonos speakers are powered speakers, which means the amplification is built in.

If you wanted to add Sonos music to an existing AV receiver + speakers setup you would just need a Sonos Connect.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Hi. No you cannot do this. The Sonos 5.1 system makes the AV receiver redundant, because Sonos speakers are powered speakers, which means the amplification is built in.

If you wanted to add Sonos music to an existing AV receiver + speakers setup you would just need a Sonos Connect.
Thanks John. What I'm interested in understanding is now i have my Apple TV, my DVD player and my cable box plugged into my receiver. What do i do with all that if I don't have a receiver?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Sonos takes the sound feed from the Optical out of the TV. Therefore anything playing on the TV will play on the Sonos. There are some issues with Dolby etc passing through from those sources but others should be able to give more info.
Let us go back a step. A Sonos 5.1 system would completely replace your existing AV receiver and speakers. They are alternatives, not complements. Why are you thinking of doing that? Are you unhappy with your existing system? What are you trying to achieve? What do you want to be able to do that you cannot do now? You have to be clear on these things if you are to make good choices
I was not sure if as you say, "they are alternatives, not complements". I was looking at them as just another set of speakers...but wireless. I have a Denon AV Receiver and was just assuming I could some how get rid of my current speakers and replace them with Sonos speakers. As Bockersjv stated as long as my TV has enough HDMI inputs, I should be able to use the components I have (Apple TV, cable box, and DVD player) and everything should work...right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You should be able to use an AV Receiver to switch inputs as per the diagram but this is my set-up without Sonos, I've never tried this with a Sonos device:
They are alternatives. Your existing system has an amplifier and unamplified speakers. Sonos speakers have amplifiers built in and cannot just be stuck in place of unamplified speakers. The number of component sources is completely irrelevant to that fundamental point. Your receiver is not designed to work with amplified speakers. Even less is it designed to work with wireless speakers. Sonos speakers are wireless and amplified.
I think perhaps what you may have not really grasped is that Sonos don't sell wireless speakers. Sonos sells a (multiroom) wireless hifi system, with options for TV sound in the shape of the Playbar and Playbase.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I think perhaps what you may have not really grasped is that Sonos don't sell wireless speakers. Sonos sells a (multiroom) wireless hifi system, with options for TV sound in the shape of the Playbar and Playbase.

Hi John B

Agreed, and I had assumed that the Bass the OP mentioned was a Sonos Sub. But just for clarity if the Amp was set up for 'Pass Through', are you saying that using the AV Receiver purely as a switch to channel different sources via an Optical cable wouldn't work as per the diagram I included? Would this be any different than connecting the Optical cable directly to the source device? e.g. My Playbar is receiving it's audio signal from an Optical cable connected to my Sky Q mini box and my TV is connected via an HDMI cable also from the Sky Q Mini (I do this to overcome the HDCP restriction my TV has about having an HDMI input and an Optical Output at the same time.)
It is possible that the receiver could be used as a switch, and I wasn't really commenting on that. I don't think that was really what the OP meant. I think the OP believes that Sonos speakers are like the existing speakers and can pick up the audio output of the receiver directly, without the wires the existing speakers need. Which is of course incorrect.

It may be that I am doing the OP a disservice and misinterpreting what has been said.
I do believe you could use your receiver as a switch only. If it has a optical out, just use it as you would the out from the TV.