Answered

Using home wifi

• 16 August 2019
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies
tl;dr; Trying to figure out if I can configure a mix of devices to be mostly hard-wired, and use the in-home wifi for those that aren't.

I've got 3 APs in my home, one on each channel (1, 6, 11 -- also in 5ghz but will ignore that for now). I have about 10 sonos players -- mostly older stuff (Play5, Play3, Connect:Amp, and a new Beam). Almost everything is hard wired except for the Beam and one of the Play3's. The beam gets used almost exclusively as a soundbar (so no streaming) and the wireless Play3 is rarely used.

I see there's an option in the controller to connect to the home wifi, and looks like this is an alternative to Sonosnet. When setting up wireless, I put in my passcode, and there was a prompt about disconnecting gear from the LAN, but I'm not interested in doing that. Ideally I'd just like to use the LAN and home wifi when needed. Not sure this is possible?

While Sonosnet is working, I'm trying to avoid the interference from having 2 networks on the same channel.
icon

Best answer by ratty 16 August 2019, 17:31

To suppress SonosNet, and force the system into 'mixed mode' so the wireless nodes attach to the WiFi, you'll need to disable the radios on all the wired nodes.

Frankly I suggest you don't bother. SonosNet wireless traffic in your case is likely to be light, and it'll happily coexist with a WiFi on the same channel.
View original

4 replies

To suppress SonosNet, and force the system into 'mixed mode' so the wireless nodes attach to the WiFi, you'll need to disable the radios on all the wired nodes.

Frankly I suggest you don't bother. SonosNet wireless traffic in your case is likely to be light, and it'll happily coexist with a WiFi on the same channel.
Thanks Ratty! Agree that if it's working it's probably not worth the hassle, but appreciate the info. It might be an interesting test to see if it affects the wireless interference my network is claiming I have, but think I'll leave it alone.
If you're going to abandon this idea (the recommended course of action) then remove/reset your WiFi details from the system.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The speakers really do prefer to run on Sonosnet, especially in a mixed environment (wired and wireless). I would also suggest that you not disable Sonosnet.

If your 3 APs are making a wifi mesh, it's rather unusual to have them on different channels.

Your requirements are quite similar to mine. I have 3 Wifi APs and 13 Sonos speakers (some wired, some wireless). The 3 APs are all on channel 11 and they make a very robust mesh throughout my whole home. The various wired speakers also make a very robust Sonosnet mesh on Channel 1 throughout my whole home. It's pretty bulletproof.