Answered

Using ethernet instead of wifi?

• 22 November 2018
  • 5 replies

I have five Connect:Amps with ceiling speakers and a Play:1 all running perfectly on Sonos wifi in six rooms in the house. Can I add a Play:1 via ethernet to my office, which is out of wifi range in the garden? I would have to control it via my iMac on the same ethernet link, presumably?
icon

Best answer by magicsnaps 22 November 2018, 18:46

Thank you so much for your help, Chris. Very clear and much appreciated. The office is a fair distance away I think but the answer is to crack on and set it up - now I have to convince the lady in my life that a Play One is a need, not a want……...
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - as long as the ethernet runs off the same router it should work just fine.

Now I assume one or more of your other speakers in the house is running sonosnet already (one plugged into router). If not I would have one of them direct connected as well so all speakers are running sonosnet.

Once you hard wire the Play:1 in garden it will be broadcasting sonosnet - so you can have other sonos speakers anywhere also in range of the Play:1 operating wirelessly.

Note: Out in the garden out of home wifi range - if you have an android phone you can have it connect to sonosnet (that the hard wired play:1 will be broadcasting) and control the Play:1 and also have full home internet access via that connection.
Hi Chris,
Thank you for the prompt response. Forgive my limited understanding of the technology, it was installed for a previous owner and is quite pro-spec. See pic for an idea of that. The fibre router sits beneath the switch. Wifi is via an Apple Time Capsule.
None of the Connect:amps are directly wired into an ethernet socket on the router as far as I know. I have only once had to wire-in one directly - there is a cable ready - to correct a simple fault with the system, but subsequently disconnected it.
I'm not familiar with sonosnet - the speakers in the ceiling are hard-wired into the Connect:amps, but obviously I control the whole system via iPhone and wifi. Is that sonosnet? My garden office has ethernet cable connecting the house router (and my iMac), which I hope also to plug into the Play:1 (I intend to replace it in the house with a Play One for voice control but chiefly for Airplay compatibility with our iOS devices.) Do I still have to directly connect the ethernet, as you suggested?
Hopefully, I haven't completely confused you.
Best wishes,
Haddon
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You need to direct connect that Play:1 in garden to the ethernet in garden. The Connect:Amps may be hardwired (those 1,2,3 labeled cables) … but none of this may matter really.

You should be fine either way. My only concern with the inside units running wifi only and no sonosnet is that they would start seeing the Sonosnet emulating from garden and try to connect if they weren't already running Sonosnet.

What happens is that when you plug a Sonos unit in via ethernet it becomes a Sonosnet Bridge. It starts broadcasting a Sonosnet signal that other Sonos devices then try and communicate with. That's why in garden you can add other units wirelessly once you plug in the Play:1 becuase the Play:1 will now be sending out the Sonosnet wifi signal other speakers can connect to.

So my concern then was if your Connect:Amps in the house are not operating on Sonosnet (no devices in house hooked to ethernet) then they may see that sonosnet signal coming from the garden and try to swithc over to Sonosnet weak signal all the way from Garden.

However you seem to have a pretty pro setup so I'm thinking your Connect:Amps are already hard wired and already on Sonosnet - therefore they won't be bothered by the Sonosnet signal coming from outside in the garden.

Hope that makes sense.
Thank you so much for your help, Chris. Very clear and much appreciated. The office is a fair distance away I think but the answer is to crack on and set it up - now I have to convince the lady in my life that a Play One is a need, not a want……...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
of course it is