Answered

Using bridge to connect a broken Connect:amp?

• 13 February 2019
  • 16 replies

I have the following setup:
- Playbar + 2 Pal:1
- One
- Connect

At this time everything is working through wifi, but the playbar is located next to my router, so I would easily be able to connect the system with ethernet cable.

I recently acquired an old Connect:amp in which the wifi functionality is broken, and I would like to add it to my system.

My question:
Is it possible to add a Sonos Bridge to the system wirelessly and then connect the amp with ethernet to the bridge to obtain wireless functionality to the amp?
icon

Best answer by John B 13 February 2019, 15:12

OK I think I see the point about the Bridge. Order should be:
1. Wire Playbar to router. It will have to stay wired.
2. Reboot (power cycle) existing Sonos components to make sure they connect to SonosNet
3. Add the Bridge to your system (factory reset it first if it hasn't in the past been part of your system). Add it wirelessly, choosing the option to 'use elsewhere' rather than 'wire to router'.
4. Factory reset the C:A, wire to Bridge and use 'Add speakers' in Settings to add it.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, fensholm. Welcome to the community. Yes, that is possible. Though do be advised that the BRIDGE is now a dated piece of equipment. I would therefore suggest getting a BOOST instead. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Hi, fensholm. Welcome to the community. Yes, that is possible. Though do be advised that the BRIDGE is now a dated piece of equipment. I would therefore suggest getting a BOOST instead. Let us know if you have any further questions.

I have a bridge lying around that I never used. That is the reason i am asking;)

Is there any particular way to do this in respect to the order and the wiring? Should I wire the system with ethernet first? Then add the bridge (wired or unwired?) and then connect the amp to the bridge with ethernet and try to add the amp ind the controller app?
Hmm.. I think this would work, but you can easily test the theory without buying a Bridge, Experimentally, use your Sonos One as the 'Bridge'. You will need to wire the Playbar to your router, as you suggest, to put the system into SonosNet mode. Then wire the Connect:Amp to the Sonos One's Ethernet Port.

You should then be able to add the C:A to the system (you must factory reset the C:A first, assuming it has come from another system).

I am not 100% sure this will work, but I feel it should. Please let us know how it goes.
Our replies crossed. Didn't know you already had a Bridge. If you can wire the Bridge, you can presumably just wire the C:A? I assumed the position of the C:A meant wiring iot was impossible, otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question??
fensholm,

Yes I think it will work.

Cable your Playbar to the router and it will become the root device for your SonosNet connection.
Remove/Reset you WiFi credentials in the Sonos App Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup.
Factory Reset and Setup your Sonos Bridge and when when prompted choose the option to set it up away from your router (uncabled).
Now plug the connect into the Bridge with an Ethernet cable and set it up.
When all is up and running, I would also just check and ensure that your SonosNet channel is set at least 5 channels away from your routers WiFi channel to prevent interference.

Here’s a link for how to reset your Bridge:

Factory resetting a Sonos product
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Your suggestion to have the system wired first, prior to installing the BRIDGE, is an excellent one: Though one device will suffice. With the exception of the CONNECT:AMP, any device will do. The PLAYBAR makes most sense, I suppose. It will almost certainly be required to wire the BRIDGE via Ethernet cable whilst adding it as well, especially if it has never been used (or not for a very long time). The reason being, if the firmware is very old, it may struggle to associate otherwise.

In summary: I would wire the PLAYBAR to the router then add in the BRIDGE whilst it, too, is cabled. Then remove the cable from the PLAYBAR.

Following that, you can then add the CONNECT:AMP to the BRIDGE via cable. EDIT: You would then be best off removing the wireless credentials as Ken suggested.

I hope all that makes sense. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Wow, synchronised responses. Well done, everyone. Haha
OK I think I see the point about the Bridge. Order should be:
1. Wire Playbar to router. It will have to stay wired.
2. Reboot (power cycle) existing Sonos components to make sure they connect to SonosNet
3. Add the Bridge to your system (factory reset it first if it hasn't in the past been part of your system). Add it wirelessly, choosing the option to 'use elsewhere' rather than 'wire to router'.
4. Factory reset the C:A, wire to Bridge and use 'Add speakers' in Settings to add it.
Your suggestion to have the system wired first, prior to installing the BRIDGE, is an excellent one: Though one device will suffice. With the exception of the CONNECT:AMP, any device will do. The PLAYBAR makes most sense, I suppose. It will almost certainly be required to wire the BRIDGE via Ethernet cable whilst adding it as well, especially if it has never been used (or not for a very long time). The reason being, if the firmware is very old, it may struggle to associate otherwise.

In summary: I would wire the PLAYBAR to the router then add in the BRIDGE whilst it, too, is cabled. Then remove the cable from the PLAYBAR.

Following that, you can then add the CONNECT:AMP to the BRIDGE via cable. EDIT: You would then be best off removing the wireless credentials as Ken suggested.

I hope all that makes sense. :)

Great responses! Thanks.

I need the bridge to be working wirelessly because the C:A is supposed to be located away from the router/the other speakers. I guess this means that I should remove the cable from the bridge once it is set up?

Should I wire the bridge to the router or to the Playbar when I set it up?
Wow, synchronised responses. Well done, everyone. HahaAnd amazingly, synchronised in content as well as timing. Ken's point about removing the wireless credentials is a good additional point.
Should I wire the bridge to the router or to the Playbar when I set it up?Neither, unless the system tells you to. Add it wirelessly. But you must have wired the Playbar first.

Edit. It should not be necessary to wire it, although with Bridge being old, you may find you have to, which is probably why Edward suggested doing so to start with.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Right you are, John. At times the firmware is so out of date that even if it adds wirelessly, it will then error during the update procedure.
Thanks for all your replies. I will try your suggestions later tonight and write back if it works or not.
Thanks so much everybody! I got the C:A connected to the bridge, and now it is playing loudly in my basement - almost wirelessly :D

This community is awesome!
Thanks so much everybody! I got the C:A connected to the bridge, and now it is playing loudly in my basement - almost wirelessly :D

This community is awesome!
Thats great news! .. that’s for letting us know the outcome.?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Happy to hear our suggestions worked. Do let us know if you need anything else!