Answered

Using a non-Sonos Sub with Sonos Amp while watching movies using surround sound

• 30 May 2019
  • 3 replies

I will soon be getting a new ‘TV’ for movie viewing with friends, and plan to use a Sonos Playbar + a Sonos Amp to power a non-Sonos Subwoofer

I know there have been significant issues with Sonos in the past re using the Sonos Amp for surround-sound:

whereby the non-Sonos sub has been systematically turned off (ie unusable) if you’re also using the Sonos Amp to power 2 rear channel surround speakers.

I wanted to be sure I wasn’t digging myself a hole, here.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 May 2019, 00:33

gkcima007,

A Sonos Amp that is being used as the rear speakers for a home theater setup (with any Sonos player) has the subwoofer output disabled.
View original

3 replies

gkcima007,

A Sonos Amp that is being used as the rear speakers for a home theater setup (with any Sonos player) has the subwoofer output disabled.
Thank you

So you can still use rear speakers w surround, They just cannot be run through the Sonos Amp?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Yes, you can use other company's speakers with the Sonos Amp as surround speakers. As Ken indicated, in that "mode", the subwoofer output is turned off, and only the surround information is sent to the Sonos Amp.

If, instead, you're using the Sonos Amp to power a pair of front speakers, the subwoofer output is still on, and the surround information can be sent to either another Sonos Amp, or a pair of Sonos speakers.