Answered

Upgrading to the new Sonos Amp

• 10 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I currently have 2 Sonos Connect:Amps running.  I just received my 2 new Sonos Amp units.

What’s the best order of operations to replace my old ones?

Straight up remove and replace, then add via the app?

Add the new ones, then remove the old ones?

Just asking ahead of time to try and minimize any grief that might ensue.

Thanks all.

icon

Best answer by John B 11 January 2021, 12:39

I’ll assume that your Connect:Amps are gen 1 and that you currently run an S1 system.  (Ignore this post otherwise.) 

If you want to stay on S1, or have to do so because you have other devices that are incompatible with S2, then it is fairly straightforward, as @Stanley_4 has described.

It is slightly more involved if you want to move to S2 at the same time.  I would add one of the Amps to your S1 system.  Transfer the passive speakers from one C:Amp to the new Amp and make sure you can use the Amp, any Sonos playlists, music services etc are available.

Then in the System Settings in the S1 app you should be able to run the compatibility checker, and that should lead you through the process of upgrading to S2, leaving the Connect:Amps behind.

That should leave you with an S2 system with just an Amp in it, with all your system settings, Sonos playlists etc intact.  Check that again.

You can then just uninstall your Sonos S1 app and use the S2 app to add your second Amp to your system.

Moderator Edit: Modified for clarity prior to marking as Best Answer

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Add then remove and your settings and playlists will be preserved.

Don’t forget to Factory Reset the old Sonos if you are getting rid of it.

Thank you Stanley,

I will do the upgrade tomorrow and post back here.  It should go well.

I will be resetting the old Connect:Amps to repurpose or sell them.

I’ll assume that your Connect:Amps are gen 1 and that you currently run an S1 system.  (Ignore this post otherwise.) 

If you want to stay on S1, or have to do so because you have other devices that are incompatible with S2, then it is fairly straightforward, as @Stanley_4 has described.

It is slightly more involved if you want to move to S2 at the same time.  I would add one of the Amps to your S1 system.  Transfer the passive speakers from one C:Amp to the new Amp and make sure you can use the Amp, any Sonos playlists, music services etc are available.

Then in the System Settings in the S1 app you should be able to run the compatibility checker, and that should lead you through the process of upgrading to S2, leaving the Connect:Amps behind.

That should leave you with an S2 system with just an Amp in it, with all your system settings, Sonos playlists etc intact.  Check that again.

You can then just uninstall your Sonos S1 app and use the S2 app to add your second Amp to your system.

Moderator Edit: Modified for clarity prior to marking as Best Answer