Answered

Unable to setup Sonos One speaker

• 27 June 2018
  • 7 replies

I have an existing Sonos setup with
Bridge, two Play:5, 3 x Play 1. This works nicely - all speakers visible etc.

Have just purchased a Sonos One - and is now trying to add this new speaker.
I select Add Speaker, and it finds the serial number of the Sonos One I want to add.
I then hit the button on the Sonos One as instructed - and then after a while I get the message "Sonos not found".
I have even tried with an ethernet cable to my network (on which the bridge is sitting).

Any hints?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 July 2018, 23:45

That suggests to my somewhat naive worldview that the 6 speakers are connected to a different subnet than the BRIDGE is.

How long did you wait between plugging in the bridge and looking in the controller. I've read in some cases it takes up to 5 minutes (which seems really long to me) for the devices to switch over from their Wifi connection to the SonosNet connection.

The other thing I'd recommend, while you're mucking about with it, is to move all the speakers into the same room with the BRIDGE, at least until they can all be "seen". Once they're working again, then you can move them back to where they really should be living.

And once they can be seen by the controller, I'd recommend deleting the wifi credentials from them. I believe there's a "delete" or "clear" button in the area where you'd normally enter that data. At the end of the day, rather than being on your "mesh" that Ubiquiti creates, you really want your speakers on SonosNet, which the Bridge (or any other Sonos device that connects to your router with an ethernet cable) creates.

I beleive that's the guidance that is in the FAQ these days for mesh networks.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Jens M-P. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. From the looks of it, it seems that there is something cutting the connection between Sonos and the controller app. Can you tell us a little more information about your local home network? Specifically, what is the make and model of the router you are working with? Do you have any wireless access points or extenders on the network?

The more detailed information we can get the better we can assist. Thanks in advance.
I am currently at work, so I don't have the exact model info right here, but I will give it a try:

I have a Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway Model USG connected to the fibre coming into the house.
Through an unmanaged switch (cannot remember the name) there are two other components added
- Wireless Access Point: a Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC access point provides network coverage
- Sonos BRIDGE (7 years old)

I have two networks set up: 5G and 2.4G.

Sonos Apps:
- Windows App
- Android App
Both of these work well for the existing system, both detect the new speaker, but neither of them can complete the setup. I have tried changing the wireless network connection on these as well.

Kind regards
Jens Møller-Pedersen
I am having this issue as well, I have a Play 5 and a play 1 and I’m currently trying to set up another play 1 but it just will not connect.
I had no issues setting up the other speakers?
And now I moved my Bridge - plugged it back in - and now absolutely nothing works. Neither of the speakers can be found - and adding them does not work. So now my complete system is ruined.
Jens,

I'm by no stretch an expert at the whole ubiquiti thing, but I'll take a stab at this, and hopefully point the way while we wait for more knowledgeable users to jump in.

What did you plug your BRIDGE in to? To my knowledge, it needs to be into the device that is the "hub" of the ubiquity network and can't be added to one of the remote devices.
I tried moving the Bridge to the LAN2 port of the SG. It was unavailable there. After moving it back to the switch (where it sat before) there was no longer connection to any of the speakers (but Bridge) does show up in the 'About my Sonos'on the App.
So now I have 6 dead speakers for now that cannot be connected
That suggests to my somewhat naive worldview that the 6 speakers are connected to a different subnet than the BRIDGE is.

How long did you wait between plugging in the bridge and looking in the controller. I've read in some cases it takes up to 5 minutes (which seems really long to me) for the devices to switch over from their Wifi connection to the SonosNet connection.

The other thing I'd recommend, while you're mucking about with it, is to move all the speakers into the same room with the BRIDGE, at least until they can all be "seen". Once they're working again, then you can move them back to where they really should be living.

And once they can be seen by the controller, I'd recommend deleting the wifi credentials from them. I believe there's a "delete" or "clear" button in the area where you'd normally enter that data. At the end of the day, rather than being on your "mesh" that Ubiquiti creates, you really want your speakers on SonosNet, which the Bridge (or any other Sonos device that connects to your router with an ethernet cable) creates.

I beleive that's the guidance that is in the FAQ these days for mesh networks.