Answered

Unable to connect Boost to new Wifi Network

• 14 October 2018
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello,

I changed out my Orbi mesh router for a Linksys mesh router. I am trying to re-connect my old system to the new wifi network. I have done what the video has said regarding switching networks. I have done a hard restart (holding down the infinity button and then plugging the device in), I have my boost directly connected to my main Fios Router. I have rebooted my Fios Router several times. None of my Sonos items have static IP addresses. I can test via my Fios interface if the device is connected to the network, which it is, and I can ping the device via the Fios interface and I receive no lost packets.

In the app it self, iOS version, I am unable to get to any menus such as the advanced menu, I can only navigate to setting up an existing system or new system. I have tried both setups and nothing has worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

System consists of a Boost, two play 1's, one play 3, one play 5.

Diagnostic Information Confirmation Number: 1555456226
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 October 2018, 00:23

To add a Boost to your existing setup... first do not uncable the existing speaker that’s currently cabled to your LAN.

1. Do not cable the Boost to your LAN at this point
2. Power on and Factory reset your Boost once again till you get the setup lights
3. Goto the Sonos App Settings and first of all choose the option to "Add a Boost or Bridge” and choose the option to set it up elsewhere away from the router and follow the prompts on screen to add it to your existing household.
4. When the Boost is setup then and only then can you swap the Boost for the cabled speaker and connect it to your LAN.
5. Move the speaker back to its original wireless location in your home.

It may take a few minutes, but your speakers will reappear in your Sonos App. If necessary (fully) close and reopen the App to refresh what you see on screen.

You now have the basic sonos system up and running and ready to configure once again.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Why hard reset your Boost? You really only ever need to do that as a very last resort... Follow these few steps...

1. Switch off all Sonos devices and remove the Boost from your router/hub.
2. Plugin one of your old speakers ... (one you have NOT reset) ... to the main router hub and give it a minute to boot up.
3. Now go to your next nearest wireless speaker and switch it on. Then the next nearest and so on and so forth. Give each speaker a couple of minutes to boot and connect to your household.
4. When all speakers are setup, factory reset your Boost ... do not plug it into the router, instead choose the 'Add Bridge or Boost' option in the Sonos App and set it up 'away from your router' (uncabled).
5. Power off all your speakers and now swap the Boost for the speaker that was connected to your router.
6. Boot the Boost and after a minute or two switch on the next nearest speaker and the next and so on and so forth.

Eventually you will end up with your Boost cabled to the main Hub and your speakers all setup and running in Boost Mode.

Hope that helps ?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thank you for the above explanation. Here is where it is hanging.

I did all of the above, unplugged everything, plugged in one play 3 speaker to the router.

Went to the app, it wouldn't get past the screen with the "Press the buttons on your Play:3" screen. Did this a couple of times. No go.

I did a factory reset on the speaker. Got to the same spot, pressed and no go. Keep in mind nothing else is connected at this point.

Tried the alternative setup that is mentioned at the bottom of the app. Get to the "configuring speaker" section and then on the next screen it says connect to the sonos wifi network. it wasn't broadcasting any wifi network called "sonos". So I did one more factory reset and unplugged from my router. Went through the process again and this time it did broadcast the "sonos" network and I was able to connect the one of my speakers to my new network. it is working fine now.

I am now trying to setup the boost now as you described above.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@Ken_Griffiths

Ok, when setting up the boost, I did what you said, however it keeps getting stuck on the "press the button on your boost" screen. It won't connect.

The light does flash green and when I push the infinity button it does flash amber. It then starts to flash green again before it finally stays green and then in the app, I get to the error of unable to connect to network.
Please stop factory resetting things. And why are you trying to set things up. If you were in Boost mode on the old network it should have just been a matter of wiring the Boost to the new network.

Do you have a speaker that hasn't been factory reset?

So you have a Fios modem / router and a Limksys mesh? How are they connected? Which is acting as DHCP server? Is wireless turned on on both routers?
Thank you for the above explanation. Here is where it is hanging.

I did all of the above, unplugged everything, plugged in one play 3 speaker to the router.

Went to the app, it wouldn't get past the screen with the "Press the buttons on your Play:3" screen. Did this a couple of times. No go.

I did a factory reset on the speaker. Got to the same spot, pressed and no go. Keep in mind nothing else is connected at this point.

Tried the alternative setup that is mentioned at the bottom of the app. Get to the "configuring speaker" section and then on the next screen it says connect to the sonos wifi network. it wasn't broadcasting any wifi network called "sonos". So I did one more factory reset and unplugged from my router. Went through the process again and this time it did broadcast the "sonos" network and I was able to connect the one of my speakers to my new network. it is working fine now.

I am now trying to setup the boost now as you described above.

No, it looks like you are setting up a new Sonos Household here. You do not need to do that. Nor should you EVER be factory resetting ANY of your sonos devices. There is no need to factory reset a thing. All you are doing is changing the router.

If you reset all your products and create a new Boost or Standard Household you will more than likely lose everything, so please be careful. You should only ever be setting things up inside the Sonos App itself. Please do not create a new household.

Nowhere in the sonos instructions will it say to factory reset your products.

What I do not know at the moment, with all the things you are (have been) doing, is what problems you have perhaps created for yourself already with your past attempts.

1. You need to start with all your sonos devices switch off.
2. Plug in one speaker only to your router that you have definitely Not ever factory reset and power it up. Then before going any further make sure it re-appears in your Sonos App... Note the speaker will start with the usual flashing white light, which will either settle to a plain steady white light, or it may go out if you previously turned off the LED in your room settings.
3. If you have previously reset your mobile controller App you will probably need to reset just the App itself again and choose to connect to the existing sonos system... do NOT create a new system in 'Standard' or 'Boost' Mode. Only ever chose to connect to the existing system.

When you have successfully done that, then don’t do anything else. Just come back here for the next set of instructions. You have to be careful that you do not overwrite your earlier setup so it’s best to do this one step at a time.

If the speaker fails, like your Play 3 has done, then simply switch it off and try another one of your speakers until your system reappears. It is important that your speaker and mobile controller are both connected to the main Hub WiFi signal ... so if necessary turn off any other Hubs and WiFi extenders nearby just to be sure of that.

Your previous system setup should reappear in the Sonos App with the one speaker connected before you move on.

It’s important not to rush things as you could end up losing your previous settings and that will mean starting from scratch... which I’m sure you would not really want to have to do.

Hope you now have enough information here now to setup your first main speaker. Please do not factory reset any more speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Please stop factory resetting things. And why are you trying to set things up. If you were in Boost mode on the old network it should have just been a matter of wiring the Boost to the new network.

Do you have a speaker that hasn't been factory reset?

So you have a Fios modem / router and a Limksys mesh? How are they connected? Which is acing as DHCP server? Is wireless turned on on both routers?

Well for starters, nothing was working when I tried "adding" it to my new wifi system. So after several hours of not getting anywhere with updating/adding/being able to see any of my devices. I did a factory reset. Which still hasn't worked for my boost.

I have one of my speakers connected, which did require a factory reset on the speaker. it wouldn't connect either wired or wireless.

My system is setup almost identical to the mesh router I had before.

Fios Router is handling the DHCP with wifi and broadcasting of SSID turned off.
Linksys has DHCP turned off and is basically setup as an access point connected directly to one of the free ports on the Fios router.

Again, the one speaker I have been able to connect after I tried everything else. The only way I was able to get it to connect was doing a factory reset. If there is some magic way of getting it back on a different network outside of the numerous videos, threads, and "how to's" I have read on here and various other sites, I would be happy to try them, including the step by step instructions posted in this thread which DID NOT WORK. Right now nothing is working, outside of the factory reset. Which has worked for the one speaker thus far.

Right now the three remaining speakers are still unplugged and I have not tried to connect them yet. Wanted to get the boost up and running since that seems to be the one that is getting hung up on the install.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
If you reset all your products and create a new Boost or Standard Household you will more than likely lose everything, so please be careful. You should only ever be setting things up inside the Sonos App itself. Please do not create a new household. I did try to re-connect using the video that is linked to within the app. That did not work. I tried your instructions step by step, please look at the time between your post and my follow up post. I tried more than one speaker, a Play 3 and a play 1. Neither would work with your step by step instructions.

Nowhere in the sonos instructions will it say to factory reset your products.

What I do not know at the moment, with all the things you are (have been) doing, is what problems you have perhaps created for yourself already with your past attempts.

1. You need to start with all your sonos devices switch off. Did this.
2. Plug in one speaker only to your router that you have definitely Not ever factory reset and power it up. Then before going any further make sure it re-appears in your Sonos App. Did this, however it was not showing up in the app. The app would not find anything on my system. The same result was accomplished when the "updating my wifi settings" which is how I started out.

... Note the speaker will start with the usual flashing white light, which will either settle to a plain steady white light, or it may go out if you previously turned off the LED in your room settings. Which it did do, however it would not show up in the app. I could see it on the network via a ping.
3. If you have previously reset your mobile controller App you will probably need to reset just the App itself again and choose to connect to the existing sonos system... do NOT create a new system in 'Standard' or 'Boost' Mode. Only ever chose to connect to the existing system.

When you have successfully done that, then don’t do anything else. Just come back here for the next set of instructions. You have to be careful that you do not overwrite your earlier setup so it’s best to do this one step at a time.

If the speaker fails, like your Play 3 has done, then simply switch it off and try another one of your speakers until your system reappears. It is important that your speaker and mobile controller are both connected to the main Hub WiFi signal ... so if necessary turn off any other Hubs and WiFi extenders nearby just to be sure of that. This has been done from the get go. The only one broadcasting is the new wifi router.

Your previous system setup should reappear in the Sonos App with the one speaker connected before you move on.

It’s important not to rush things as you could end up losing your previous settings and that will mean starting from scratch... which I’m sure you would not really want to have to do. At this point, I don't mind starting from scratch.

Hope you now have enough information here now to setup your first main speaker. Please do not factory reset any more speakers. Ok...

Again, thank you for helping me on this, it is greatly appreciated.
When I changed wifi networks I unplugged my Boost from the old router, plugged it into the new one. All the speakers reconnected over SonosNet. No resets, no set up, no magic.

Are you hoping to keep your playlists? Because factory resetting will delete them. If you want to keep them we need to start with a speaker that has not been reset. You said you have one speaker working? How is that connected? Has it got your playlists and favourites, or does that not matter to you?
John B,

Thanks very much for chipping in here. As you can see rhett660 is (incorrectly) factory resetting some of his devices, despite all the advice ...and I’m not sure what 'damage' to his software settings he may have done already, or prior to seeking help here. I hope he listens to us. I will say to him again 'PLEASE DO NOT FACTORY RESET ANY OF YOUR DEVICES'.

It’s important to start with one speaker only, that has NOT been Reset.. use just one main Router Hub/WiFi signal (2.4ggz band) .. if need-be switch off any other wifi extenders or other Hub radios temporarily so you are absolutely sure the mobile controller is on the same LAN and router etc.

The speaker will reappear in the Sonos App ... it will be an EXISTING previous household. PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A NEW 'STANDARD' OR 'BOOST' HOUSEHOLD... connect to the existing one only.

I hope that gets the message across clearly !

John B ... I’m just not sure what rhett660 did prior to him seeking help here, but thanks for your support with this one ... really appreciate that !
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
When I changed wifi networks I unplugged my Boost from the old router, plugged it into the new one. All the other speakers reconnected over SonosNet. No resets, no set up, no magic.

Are you hoping to keep your playlists? Because factory resetting will delete them. If you want to keep them we need to start with a speaker that has not been reset. You said you have one speaker working? How is that connected? Has it got your playlists and favourites, or does that not matter to you?

At this point, I am not worried about the playlists or favorites. I am glad you were able to get it to work. It did not work on my system.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
John B,

Thanks very much for chipping in here. As you can see rhett660 is (incorrectly) factory resetting some of his devices, despite all the advice ...and I’m not sure what 'damage' to his software settings he may have done already, or prior to seeking help here. I hope he listens to us. I will say to him again 'PLEASE DO NOT FACTORY RESET ANY OF YOUR DEVICES'.

It’s important to start with one speaker only, that has NOT been Reset.. use just one main Router Hub/WiFi signal (2.4ggz band) .. if need-be switch off any other wifi extenders or other Hub radios temporarily so you are absolutely sure the mobile controller is on the same LAN and router etc.

The speaker will reappear in the Sonos App ... it will be an EXISTING previous household. PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A NEW 'STANDARD' OR 'BOOST' HOUSEHOLD... connect to the existing one only.

I hope that gets the message across clearly !

John B ... I’m just not sure what rhett660 did prior to him seeking help here, but thanks for your support with this one ... really appreciate that !

The only items I did prior to this was what linked to in the app itself for re-connecting a system to a different wifi. That did not work.

Like, I mentioned here, the only way I was able to get one of my speakers up on the new network, was to do a factory reset on the speaker. I was able to set it up without issue. The other speakers I have not done anything to and I am in the process of hooking one of them directly to the router as I type this. So far, outside of the factory reset, nothing you have mentioned, nothing on the sonos site for switching wifi routers has worked up to this point.

I am waiting for the speaker, which hasn't been factory reset and is hardwired, to boot up as I type this.
If that doesn't work, one thing I suggest you try is to wire a non-factory reset speaker to the Linksys router and see if that appears in the app.
When I changed wifi networks I unplugged my Boost from the old router, plugged it into the new one. All the other speakers reconnected over SonosNet. No resets, no set up, no magic.

At this point, I am not worried about the playlists or favorites. I am glad you were able to get it to work. It did not work on my system.

I think your transfer to the new router didn’t work as easily as Johns did, because you appear to have made a few mistakes along the way.... there is definitely never a need to reset a Boost, or any speaker. You perhaps should have sought help here before going down that 'last resort' route.

It is a simple process to move an existing sonos system that is already in Boost Mode .. just switch off all... swap the router out .. plug in Boost to new router power on router, power on Boost. Let it settle. Next power up each sonos speaker one at a time. Start with the nearest one and ensure that connects... if it doesn’t then power it off and on again. Once it connects, then move onto the next nearest speaker ... and so on ... until all are back up and running.

The important bit is not to rush things, nor panic ...and to not reset a thing otherwise you risk losing or overwriting the existing setup stored on each of your Sonos Speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ok, all the speakers are now connected, however I have a feeling they are connected to the new system, since the one speaker is also showing up. The only thing that is not connected is the boost.

I did not factory resets on any of the remaining speakers.
Glad to hear of progress. If your playlists have gone then you are connected to the new system, by which I assume you mean following the factory reset
Ok, all the speakers are now connected, however I have a feeling they are connected to the new system, since the one speaker is also showing up. The only thing that is not connected is the boost.

I did no factory resets on any of the remaining speakers.

The remaining speakers as you bring each of them back online, will only ever take on board whatever was on the first connected wired speaker that you saw in your Sonos App. If that had been overwritten previously by you, then that’s all your going to get back now. That’s why I did say to wait, once you had one speaker back up and running.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Playlists are gone, however I not worried about those, since most of my playlists I can create rather quickly. So to me that is not an issue.

I also do not have the Sonos Manager (I believe that is what it is called) that resides on my Mac Mini not up and running. It isn't seeing my current setup, which I am assuming could be handled when I get the boost connected. At least that is what I am thinking.
If the original playlists are gone, then it’s what John says (unfortunately) you have reset and over-written your speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
If the original playlists are gone, then it’s what John says (unfortunately) you have reset and over-written your speakers.

I am not worried about that at this point. The big question now, is how to get the boost and the Sonos Manager App onto the new system...
rhett7660,

I'm sorry, I’m not sure what you mean exactly by 'Sonos Manager App'? What is that? Can you describe it and what it does.. are you talking about something entirely different to the main Sonos App? (See attached screenshot)

Note that resetting/overwriting your system, means you are back to factory defaults. Like the day when you first purchased your Sonos System. You lose everything ... playlists, favourites, installed music services, alexa integration etc. Hopefully you realised that ?
rhett7660,

You said earlier that you factory reset your Boost. I now strongly suspect that when you did that and tried to setup your system again, you had already 'accidentally' over-written your speakers and lost all your previous Sonos Household anyway. That’s what I’m currently thinking, at least.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I would imagine that is what happened also. What would prevent me from adding a new boost?

The Sonos Manager App, which I don’t know the official name of is the app that you can install on your pc so you can have access to your local files. It shows all the installed speakers.

I am not worried about the playlists etc. I understand that is all lost. I am not worried about it. ?
All the Boost does is enable you to have all your speakers wireless and still run the SonosNet mesh. If it convenient to wire a speaker instead then the Boost is redundant.
Given that we aren't sure what state the Boost is now in, I am going to suggest that you DO factory reset it now. Then in Settings go to Add a Player or Sub'. Do NOT wire the Boost. When you add it to your system choose to use elsewhere not wire to router. Once it has been added wirelessly and is part of your system you can swap it with a wired speaker so that that speaker can be wireless.
To add a Boost to your existing setup... first do not uncable the existing speaker that’s currently cabled to your LAN.

1. Do not cable the Boost to your LAN at this point
2. Power on and Factory reset your Boost once again till you get the setup lights
3. Goto the Sonos App Settings and first of all choose the option to "Add a Boost or Bridge” and choose the option to set it up elsewhere away from the router and follow the prompts on screen to add it to your existing household.
4. When the Boost is setup then and only then can you swap the Boost for the cabled speaker and connect it to your LAN.
5. Move the speaker back to its original wireless location in your home.

It may take a few minutes, but your speakers will reappear in your Sonos App. If necessary (fully) close and reopen the App to refresh what you see on screen.

You now have the basic sonos system up and running and ready to configure once again.